530d Sport (E60)
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Hi guys

Hope this is not too dumb a set of questions. This coming from a guy who used to pay for his previous car to get valeted every month!

I went to my local Halfrauds to attempt to get some cleaning gear for my car. Now I am a complete ameteur and knew nothing about clay bar(s) until recently. It was more along the lines of keep the car relatively clean and wash it lightly every week or so especially with the looming winter months (now that I have no job I have the time!).

So went into Halfrauds with the intention of buying the following:

1. The Ambersol interior cleaner(I have beige leather interior) DSK was banging on about, found it at 4.99
    2. A fancy mitt thingamy that looks like a mess of spider legs - lol pmsl. Found like a dozen at many varying prices.
    3. two buckets, one for clean water, and a bucket for rinsing the dirty mitt off - one that has a strainer type thing at the bottom. couldn't find that
    4. A chamois there's a multitude of different ones / types - very confusing ranging from 2.99 to 12.99
    5. Cloths for cleaning dash that dont leave bobbles behind (lint free)? Again many different types and prices.
    6. What the feck wax and or shampoo do i use?
    7. Do I need a seperate Chamois for cleaning windows?

There where at least 5 different types of each product to choose from and I ended up buying nothing. Is Halfrauds a place to avoid like?

Any chance of helping out a total noob who wants to look after his BM and post up pics ASAP?

Not trying to be a pro valeter in one day / week / month. Just want to avoid noob pit falls and save money whilst taking pride in keeping my BM clean.

Cheers all! Red!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Maggs69's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=redadair;22906]

2. A fancy mitt thingamy that looks like a mess of spider legs - lol pmsl. Found like a dozen at many varying prices.
    3. two buckets, one for clean water, and a bucket for rinsing the dirty mitt off - one that has a strainer type thing at the bottom. couldn't find that
    4. A chamois there's a multitude of different ones / types - very confusing ranging from 2.99 to 12.99
    5. Cloths for cleaning dash that dont leave bobbles behind (lint free)? Again many different types and prices.
    6. What the feck wax and or shampoo do i use?
    7. Do I need a seperate Chamois for cleaning windows?

QUOTE]

Hi
    I bought some cleaning kit from Halfords and it's not too bad for the amature detailer.
    I bought:-
    1. A Meguires Wash Mit - i think it was quite expensive! I has a sponge inner and a long microfiber type outer so it holds a good quantity of water and the microfiber is great for removing dirt.
    2. Two red Halfords plastic buckets - these are crap!! the handle comes off quite easily which involved mopping the kitchen floor (a lot) . I wouldn't worry too much about the strainer thingy, just make sure you get the dirt of the wash mit, it comes off quite easily by rubbing it with your other hand.
    3. A Meguires drying towel - This is great, its far better than a Chammy.
    4. Halfords Lint Free Cloths (White 2 pack) - Lint free my ar*e!!
    5. Halfords Microfiber cloths - These are really good, but save yourself a few quid and get them from your local supermarket instead. Halfords charge about £5 for 2 and i got 4 for £5 from Morrisons. They look identical and work great in the interior and exterior.
    6. Turtle Wax Nanotech shampoo and quick wax - These are both in a florescent green bottle so you can't miss them. The shampoo is good and rinses off easy too. The quick wax is OK if your just wanting to smarten up the bodywork after a wash.

Hope that helps you get started

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Maggs69 For This Useful Post:

redadair (16-09-2008)

Uber Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    redadair's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d Sport (E60)
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Maggs! Top stuff!! Much obliged indeed!

Gonna go out for a wee shop if it is not peeing from the heavens (again)

Cheers for your pointers, really appreciate it! Red!