BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

What suspension to put on my e46 coupe?

3K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  MAGiK 
#1 ·
I will be soon getting my set of bbs lm's in 18" with stretched Tyres! Wondering on you guys opinions on how much to drop it and what suspension kits to put on and how much by? Want a good ride still and not sure on slammed? Want it so can still turn wheels on full lock and it doesn't arch out and can take 5 passengers still! No fat chicks! Only kidding! :p

Also a good website needed, cheap and good quality stuff!

Many thanks guys! :D

#8 ·
ok mate, the best mod you can do for your 46 by far is the polycarb bushes for the anti roll bars!, i did the eibach springs, powerflex front and rear bushes and the 1 thing that was the most noticable was the cheapest mod, the superflex anti roll bar bushes. honestly!, my springs were £140. shop around! the dampers you can get from eurocar parts, ask for the b4/b6's what ever suits your needs! even oem 1's will feel alot better than the tired 1's you have on now!

#9 ·
Ashton what do you actually want? Don't worry about what people tell you to get.. it's not about pleasing other people..

2 questions and I'll give you "recommendations"..

What do YOU want to achieve with this suspension setup? (handling? looks? combo of both)
Whats the budget?

Although I'd say RMs got the right idea with the H&R cup kit, and definitely agree with Vaux about the benefits of Poly ARB bushes!!

Reactions: AstonE46Jack
#11 ·
Unfortunately mate you can't have it all for that sort of budget...

At that budget I'd say you've got 2 choices..

1: hottuning coilovers.. you can get nice and low, handling will be improved over standard, ride will be harsh though

2: cheap-ish lowering springs and ARB bushes: something like Apex will be about £100 and are decent quality lowering springs.. only going to lower about 30-40mm though, then with the poly ARB bushes you'll get the improved handling..

the 2nd option is based on your shocks not being totally f*cked though!

Quality suspension is big business and as such has big price tags for the best stuff

Having followed a few of your threads now I'd say personally just for now get some lowering springs and the LM reps with tyres and you'll be a lot happier with the car.. it'll look a million times better and handling a little better..

then if you want to, save some cash and get your poly bushes and uprated shocks or coilovers

#15 ·
well i can go 1 better, mine are eibach pro's, 18" staggered alloys (mv1's) 4 adults, 1 child and a full boot of luggage, no rubbing at all, even over speed bumps, ps i'm no supprised as they are designed with this car in mind. and the wheels are factory so are designed to fit all the way into the arches with no problems.:thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.