What polishes and sealants do you guys use? - Page 3

Notices

Thread: What polishes and sealants do you guys use?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    ali_b's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Noble M12 GTO3R / E36 328 TI
    Year of Manufacture:
    2003 / 1997
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Rocketship / Compact
    Thanks
    collinite 476 for wax, cheap and very durable.
    Finishkare FK1000p I find to be the daddy of sealants, very easy on as well.
    Also try dodo-juice red-mist but not quite as durable as FK.

HTD
    Shiny Shiny Shiny!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ali_b For This Useful Post:

Dizzle77 (18-02-2010)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    mark beardmore's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    m3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle77 View Post
    Might be a stupid question, but when you refer to applying two layers of sealant, do you mean following the process of apply, buff, apply then buff?

Or do you just mean apply, apply then buff?
    Of course i mean apply,buff then repeat again for second layer thought that would be fairly obvious tbh. The ex-p sealant i use only takes a few minutes to haze for removal, but i usually apply a whole coat to the car then remove as application and removal is so easy with that particular product!

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Dizzle77's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330D M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by baderlfc View Post
    poorboys natty wax is well worth the money aswell
    Ye I was eyeing this up before I came across the Collinite 915

Quote Originally Posted by mark beardmore View Post
    Of course i mean apply,buff then repeat again for second layer thought that would be fairly obvious tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbenstrikes View Post
    apply, cure for stated time on bottle, buff, either leave for a day or not, then apply, cure, buff..
    thanks, just wanted to make sure....

Quote Originally Posted by ali_b View Post
    collinite 476 for wax, cheap and very durable.
    Finishkare FK1000p I find to be the daddy of sealants, very easy on as well.
    Also try dodo-juice red-mist but not quite as durable as FK.

HTD
    Yeah been reading reviews and some reckon that 476 is easier to buff off compared to 915. Suppose all just boils down to personal preference, but also how much wax is applied and how long you leave it for. I suppose too thick a layer left on for too long, could be harder to move.

What do people think of the All-in-one Sealant+Polish products? I know Poorboys do one. They results any good? I suppose main benefit would be less time needed

Emaps remapped

BFuk Resident Design Guru
    Car Details
    Bigbenstrikes's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Ye I was eyeing this up before I came across the Collinite 915

thanks, just wanted to make sure....

Yeah been reading reviews and some reckon that 476 is easier to buff off compared to 915. Suppose all just boils down to personal preference, but also how much wax is applied and how long you leave it for. I suppose too thick a layer left on for too long, could be harder to move.

What do people think of the All-in-one Sealant+Polish products? I know Poorboys do one. They results any good? I suppose main benefit would be less time needed
    Personally i think a good finish requires time and work.... so that should answer your question...

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Perfection Detailing's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    N/A
    Year of Manufacture:
    N/A
    Transmission Type:
    N/A
    Car Body Type:
    N/A

Thanks
    Products mentoined are all pretty decent if your on a budget, but if you wanted to try something different from AG SRP, then I would give chemicals guys EZ cream a go. Like SRP it will fill lights swirls etc but the finish is far nicer than SRP. If you are going to use a sealant like FK1000 then ideally you would want to leave it at least 3 hours in between coats if working outside, you will run the risk of removing some of the first coat when applying the secound if you dont let it fully cure. If it was nice and warm or you was working in a heated work space then you would not have to leave it quite as long, obviously not easy if you don't have a garage etc. You could leave it over night then give the car a wipe down in the morning with a detail spray before applying a secound coat.

In terms of looks and finish waxes look better than sealants and can help hide small defects as well, unlike sealants that can actually expose light defects in the paintwork. But sealants will out last waxes generally by around a month or 2 depending on the sealant, which is why the trend is to go sealant first then wax on top. And I generally agree with that in the winter months when protection is more important than looks for most people. But I personally prefer waxes over sealants and tend to use them far more in the summer months than I do sealants, as I much prefer the looks that waxes can give over sealnts and are nicer to work with, that being said FK1000 is a dream to use and buffs of effortleesly even when left for long periods of time.

Neil

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Perfection Detailing For This Useful Post:

Dizzle77 (18-02-2010)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Dizzle77's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330D M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Personally i think a good finish requires time and work.... so that should answer your question...
    Yeah I was going to finish off writing something along those lines, but my food arrived
    Yeah, you right though.
    I'm also don't normally go for 'combi-products' as think they make compromises.
    Just wanted opinions on the stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Perfection Detailing View Post
    Products mentoined are all pretty decent if your on a budget, but if you wanted to try something different from AG SRP, then I would give chemicals guys EZ cream a go. Like SRP it will fill lights swirls etc but the finish is far nicer than SRP. If you are going to use a sealant like FK1000 then ideally you would want to leave it at least 3 hours in between coats if working outside, you will run the risk of removing some of the first coat when applying the secound if you dont let it fully cure. If it was nice and warm or you was working in a heated work space then you would not have to leave it quite as long, obviously not easy if you don't have a garage etc. You could leave it over night then give the car a wipe down in the morning with a detail spray before applying a secound coat.

In terms of looks and finish waxes look better than sealants and can help hide small defects as well, unlike sealants that can actually expose light defects in the paintwork. But sealants will out last waxes generally by around a month or 2 depending on the sealant, which is why the trend is to go sealant first then wax on top. And I generally agree with that in the winter months when protection is more important than looks for most people. But I personally prefer waxes over sealants and tend to use them far more in the summer months than I do sealants, as I much prefer the looks that waxes can give over sealnts and are nicer to work with, that being said FK1000 is a dream to use and buffs of effortleesly even when left for long periods of time.

Neil
    If I was buying the equipment last month, then I probably would have spent a fair amount on what I need. The thing is this month I've had some unexpected things to fork out for like a replacement alloy.......and er......an ECU remap next week

I plan to hopefully do this sometime next month.I understand what you're saying about using sealant mainly for protection reasons in winter months. As winter will soon be over (hopefully), if I wanted a 'wetter look', then I would be better off just applying a wax?

Emaps remapped

Premium Member
    Car Details
    6891_seb's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,881 Times in 2,700 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NealP View Post
    Have a look at this site Dizzle ...LINK. I've learnt lots of useful tips from them.
    Stealer!!

Ide reccommend Autoglym SRP as it contains filler to hide the swirls as bmw paint is pretty solid!! I use that then use Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection which is a sealant then i apply 2 coats of Collinite 476s..
    I have 'thanked' you both for that excellent site!
    PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6891_seb Project Thread

6891_seb Project Thread Blog

* Discounted BMW OEM Parts Shop *

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 6891_seb For This Useful Post:

Bigbenstrikes (18-02-2010)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Dizzle77's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330D M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    That Polishedbliss really does have a wealth of information on it.
    Had bit of a read last night with regards to polishes/glazes. Certainly had an influence on my decision for which product I'll be going for in that area.

Emaps remapped

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Craig Taylor's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320 D M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    That Polishedbliss really does have a wealth of information on it.
    Had bit of a read last night with regards to polishes/glazes. Certainly had an influence on my decision for which product I'll be going for in that area.
    and what descision did you come to ??

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Dizzle77's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330D M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    After taking into account opinions on this thread and trawling the web for reviews and customer opinions, i finally settled on the products below:

Bilt Hamber clay (regular)
    Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss
    Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze
    Zaino Clear Seal
    Chemical Guys 50/50 Connoisseur Paste Wax
    ......oooh and err...a Lambswool Wash mitt and few other little things

Funny cos my original reason for creating the thread was to find out about sealants. I seem to have picked up few other things as well.

I've read great things about the Zaino CS. I was a bit dubious as it is a spray on sealant, but it seems to be highly rated by both pros and enthusiasts alike.

As for the wax, I already have P21S wax, but wanted to try something new and maybe better. It came down to a choice between either Collinte 476S/915 or the Chemical guys 50/50. From what i gathered, the Collinite 476S seems to have great durabilty, like up to about 9months. The Chemical Guys wax by sounds of it doesn't last as long, but will give car a 'wetter look'. This is fine by me as this will take me up to about October. When it comes to then I'll be getting the car ready for winter.

I've pencilled in giving my car the once over during Easter, so may post some pics up once done.

Emaps remapped

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast