What polishes and sealants do you guys use? - Page 2

Notices
 

Thread: What polishes and sealants do you guys use?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 49
  1.  
    #11
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    mark beardmore's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    m3
    Year of Manufacture:
    1994
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    burton on trent
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 64 Times in 54 Posts
    personally i would clay the car first as well as it makes things alot easier, followed by some form of swirl remover, poorboys ssr1 or pro polish, if its a dark car like mine black hole is exellent as it works similar to ag srp. i then top this with 2 coats of ex-p sealant(2coats ensures even coverage) this is then left for at least 48hrs to cure, atfer which i top with nattys paste(blue or red)
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #12
    BFuk Resident Design Guru
    Car Details
    Bigbenstrikes's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    1991
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Bigbenstrikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Inverness
    Posts
    2,835
    Thanks
    1,344
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle77 View Post
    yeah have already had a look on there and another place called DetailingBliss. Proper anorak stuff on there, but they know their stuff

    trawled through a load of the threads showing photos of detailing work on cars. Some outstanding looking cars out there!



    I actually have some of that Autoglym Super Resin and Extra Gloss stuff. I used them on my 120d about a year ago, but wasnt impressed with the results, so went back to my usual p21s. Thing is though, i dont think gave it a fair chance as dont think i applied them properly in first place.

    Do you apply sealant/gloss then wait 12-24hrs before applying wax?

    I fancy trying a different wax this time round, so have been eyeing up Collinite 915 Marques Elegance wax last couple days. Is your 476 easy to apply? What results like? Ever used the 915?



    thanks for the linkage. I'll be digging into that site tomorrow
    Well with the SRP apply it with a foam pad and only use a little amount and work it in until it does to a thin clear layer... leave it for a bit then buff off... only do a little at a time though..

    The extra gloss protection ive only applied once with a microfibre pad let it cure for an hour then buffed off then just applied the collinite on straight after.. The collinite is pretty nice actually.. use it on a foam pad and just a very thin layer is fine but dont leave it on too long or its a pain to get off... you got to do the finger swipe test as its called to see if shes ready to come off..

    I do wash, clay, wash, dry, polish, sealant then wax... thats the proper sequence i think..

    The 915 is suppose to be excellent and beading off water.. i seen a test on detailing world and was pretty impressive but i got a tin of colly i need to get my way through first!
     
     

  4.  
    #13
    BFuk Resident Design Guru
    Car Details
    Bigbenstrikes's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    1991
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Bigbenstrikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Inverness
    Posts
    2,835
    Thanks
    1,344
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NealP View Post
    Ever thought that you may have stolen that from me Ben?
    NEVER!! I got it through detailing world anyway as they are a shop on there...

    You recon you could make that link to the site as a sticky??
     
     

  5.  
    #14
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Dizzle77's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330D M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2006
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Dizzle77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hertfordshire/Liverpool
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 79 Times in 65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beardmore View Post
    i then top this with 2 coats of ex-p sealant(2coats ensures even coverage) this is then left for at least 48hrs to cure, atfer which i top with nattys paste(blue or red)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbenstrikes View Post

    I do wash, clay, wash, dry, polish, sealant then wax... thats the proper sequence i think..

    The 915 is suppose to be excellent and beading off water.. i seen a test on detailing world and was pretty impressive but i got a tin of colly i need to get my way through first!
    Cheers for responses guys.

    Seems to be difference in opinion in whether you need to wait for long period of time for sealant to cure before wax is applied.
    Ideally I think I would rather leave the sealant enough time to cure, but I don’t have the luxury of a garage.

    I suppose my concern is that if car is outside and leave sealant to cure overnight or something, then by time come round to waxing it, it may need a quick wash again, just to make sure there are no bits of dirt on it. I suppose from that point of view, I really want to be adding wax layer the same day, maybe only few hours after sealant.

    I have seen people on forums adding double layers of wax. I was thinking of doing this, but some people prefer doing double layer of sealant. Which do you recommend?
    I know sealant helps in durability, so maybe it best adding two layers of that? If this is the case, would I then need to leave bit time before adding 2nd layer of sealant?

    I think I’ll give the Autoglym products that I already have a second chance. As said earlier, I don’t think I used them correctly last time round.
    Money saved in not having to buy Polish and Sealant, I’ll pick up some of that Collinte 915

    Also a clay bar and I came across one of those lambs wool wash mitt the other day. I need new sponge anyway, so think that’s the way forward

    Emaps remapped
     
     

  6.  
    #15
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    mark beardmore's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    m3
    Year of Manufacture:
    1994
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    burton on trent
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 64 Times in 54 Posts
    not sure about the ag egp but as far as products like ex-p or jetseal are concerned they need to be left to cure after application, the two coats is to ensure an even coverage so applying one then the next straight away is fine. on my understanding most people will do this then leave the car till next wash to apply the wax coat!
     
     

  7.  
    #16
    BFuk Resident Design Guru
    Car Details
    Bigbenstrikes's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    1991
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Bigbenstrikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Inverness
    Posts
    2,835
    Thanks
    1,344
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle77 View Post
    Cheers for responses guys.

    Seems to be difference in opinion in whether you need to wait for long period of time for sealant to cure before wax is applied.
    Ideally I think I would rather leave the sealant enough time to cure, but I don’t have the luxury of a garage.

    I suppose my concern is that if car is outside and leave sealant to cure overnight or something, then by time come round to waxing it, it may need a quick wash again, just to make sure there are no bits of dirt on it. I suppose from that point of view, I really want to be adding wax layer the same day, maybe only few hours after sealant.

    I have seen people on forums adding double layers of wax. I was thinking of doing this, but some people prefer doing double layer of sealant. Which do you recommend?
    I know sealant helps in durability, so maybe it best adding two layers of that? If this is the case, would I then need to leave bit time before adding 2nd layer of sealant?

    I think I’ll give the Autoglym products that I already have a second chance. As said earlier, I don’t think I used them correctly last time round.
    Money saved in not having to buy Polish and Sealant, I’ll pick up some of that Collinte 915

    Also a clay bar and I came across one of those lambs wool wash mitt the other day. I need new sponge anyway, so think that’s the way forward

    Bilthamber clay is ace.. only need water!
     
     

  8.  
    #17
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Dizzle77's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330D M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2006
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Dizzle77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hertfordshire/Liverpool
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 79 Times in 65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beardmore View Post
    not sure about the ag egp but as far as products like ex-p or jetseal are concerned they need to be left to cure after application, the two coats is to ensure an even coverage so applying one then the next straight away is fine. on my understanding most people will do this then leave the car till next wash to apply the wax coat!
    Might be a stupid question, but when you refer to applying two layers of sealant, do you mean following the process of apply, buff, apply then buff?

    Or do you just mean apply, apply then buff?

    Emaps remapped
     
     

  9.  
    #18
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Dizzle77's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330D M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2006
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Dizzle77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hertfordshire/Liverpool
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 79 Times in 65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbenstrikes View Post
    Bilthamber clay is ace.. only need water!
    That sounds handy. I suppose there no need to fork out for clay lube too

    Emaps remapped
     
     

  10.  
    #19
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    baderlfc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback
    baderlfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    cwmbran, south wales
    Posts
    2,312
    Thanks
    469
    Thanked 670 Times in 593 Posts
    poorboys natty wax is well worth the money aswell
    E46 325ti Sport
    Lowered 50/40 on Weitec springs
    18" staggered BBS RS-GTs

    Pioneer MVH-8200
    Focal Polyglass 5.25" 130VB components
    Alpine MRP-M650 Monoblock with Alpine Type R 10"
     
     

  11.  
    #20
    BFuk Resident Design Guru
    Car Details
    Bigbenstrikes's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    1991
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Bigbenstrikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Inverness
    Posts
    2,835
    Thanks
    1,344
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle77 View Post
    Might be a stupid question, but when you refer to applying two layers of sealant, do you mean following the process of apply, buff, apply then buff?

    Or do you just mean apply, apply then buff?
    apply, cure for stated time on bottle, buff, either leave for a day or not, then apply, cure, buff..
     
     

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts