weird question-Leather conditioner what gives a nice smell??

Notices

Thread: weird question-Leather conditioner what gives a nice smell??

Reply to Thread
  1. weird question-Leather conditioner what gives a nice smell?? 
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    StreetTriple's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertible
    Thanks
    I am looking to condition my leather seats in my 2006 M Sport 318, but this is the question. I am looking for one which will give the car a nice smell rather than any sort of chemical smell. I had a look on here and lots of guys have their own opinion on what's best but I think most of the decent brands will be much of a muchness in terms of conditioning the leather, but want the seats to act like big air freshners . . . . .Thought about leather essence, for that new leather smell but don't want to order on line to find out it will give me the boak everytime I set foot in my baby!!!! I must have looked a right weirdo sniffing all the leather conditioners and cleaners in Halfords!!!!

So suggestions please!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    mark@vorny.co.uk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    911 C2S
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,738 Times in 2,697 Posts
    2013, Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, PDK, Sports Exhaust, Chrono, etc, etc

*removed

BFUK weekday crew

PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mark@vorny.co.uk For This Useful Post:

StreetTriple (04-11-2009)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    JonnyG's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Hi,

I recently bought and used AutoGlym leather cream. It feeds the leather and gives the leather its smell back, hits me everytime i get in the car, well worth a punt I think halfords are still on 3 for 2 as well... so get the AutoGlym leather cleaner to eliminate dirt

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Tigerhunter's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E34 525i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Just sharing my experience - there's only one way to treat and restore leather - and that's doing it properly.

I found this interesting statement on Liquid leather's website - never quite thought of it this way before...

"Leather has always been used to give the feeling of luxury to automobiles and furnishings.

Hand-built cars were trimmed in leather and exotic woods, a tradition that is copied today on the production line, but not only has the assembly technique changed, so has the leather, it is now much thinner and needs more care because it dries out more quickly.

Hides are now tanned with recyclable materials which reduce process times and waste by-products, however, the attractive "smell" associated with quality leather is lost.
    "

Anyway, Street, I have reconditioned three sets of leather upholstery in the past, and after much research and reading, I use the Liquid Leather products by Gliptone. First I use the cleaner to...erm...clean the leather, and if you don't think leather gets dirty try this stuff - see the attached pic of what I got off the facings of the driver's seat on the set I am working on at the moment (the water was clean when I began ). The cleaner is PH neutral, you don't use water on the leather, and it won't damage the stitching.

Whatever you do don't use any household cleaners

DSC01629.JPG

I then use the GT11 to feed & treat the leather - and yes it actually smells like ''Ye Olde English Leather''. It is so strong that I have to wear gloves when using it, or I begin to taste leather in the back of my mouth after a while . It's a good idea to repeat initial application about three times, and then feed regularly (at least every three months). I have never used anything that feeds leather like this - no oiliness, grease, or false shiny finish.

They also do a leather air freshner pad which I haven't tried, but judging by the quailty of their other products I am sure will work. These folks supply the professional trade, and IMHO I haven't found any products that come close (including Autoglym, which I agree does smell great, but it's not in the same league as the Gliptone). Jaguar actually sell Gliptone badged as their own very expensive 'premium leather care cream'.

The stuff goes a long way (I have only just ordered my second batch, and will probably be able to finish my third set of seats before I have to break out the new supplies).

I have just had a thought, perhaps we should approach Gliptone about a discount for BFUK members??

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tigerhunter For This Useful Post:

steve23002 (04-11-2009),StreetTriple (04-11-2009)

BFuk Legend
    Car Details
    steve23002's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,379 Times in 5,803 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerhunter View Post
    Just sharing my experience - there's only one way to treat and restore leather - and that's doing it properly.

I found this interesting statement on Liquid leather's website - never quite thought of it this way before...

"Leather has always been used to give the feeling of luxury to automobiles and furnishings.

Hand-built cars were trimmed in leather and exotic woods, a tradition that is copied today on the production line, but not only has the assembly technique changed, so has the leather, it is now much thinner and needs more care because it dries out more quickly.

Hides are now tanned with recyclable materials which reduce process times and waste by-products, however, the attractive "smell" associated with quality leather is lost.
    "

Anyway, Street, I have reconditioned three sets of leather upholstery in the past, and after much research and reading, I use the Liquid Leather products by Gliptone. First I use the cleaner to...erm...clean the leather, and if you don't think leather gets dirty try this stuff - see the attached pic of what I got off the facings of the driver's seat on the set I am working on at the moment (the water was clean when I began ). The cleaner is PH neutral, you don't use water on the leather, and it won't damage the stitching.

Whatever you do don't use any household cleaners

Attachment 7276

I then use the GT11 to feed & treat the leather - and yes it actually smells like ''Ye Olde English Leather''. It is so strong that I have to wear gloves when using it, or I begin to taste leather in the back of my mouth after a while . It's a good idea to repeat initial application about three times, and then feed regularly (at least every three months). I have never used anything that feeds leather like this - no oiliness, grease, or false shiny finish.

They also do a leather air freshner pad which I haven't tried, but judging by the quailty of their other products I am sure will work. These folks supply the professional trade, and IMHO I haven't found any products that come close (including Autoglym, which I agree does smell great, but it's not in the same league as the Gliptone). Jaguar actually sell Gliptone badged as their own very expensive 'premium leather care cream'.

The stuff goes a long way (I have only just ordered my second batch, and will probably be able to finish my third set of seats before I have to break out the new supplies).

I have just had a thought, perhaps we should approach Gliptone about a discount for BFUK members??
    I agree. I have used Gliptone for years now. Its the best stuff I have come across. The only thing is that I like to leave them for 24hrs after doing the seats, otherwise you end up smelling of leather for a week....

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E34 525i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve23002 View Post
    ...otherwise you end up smelling of leather for a week....
    Too true!

If you really want to squick the Missus, go to bed wearing some as aftershave....

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E34 525i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Steve
    What would be the procedure for doing this - I assume it would need to be done by an uber-member/moderator?

BFuk Legend
    Car Details
    steve23002's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,379 Times in 5,803 Posts
    Steve
    What would be the procedure for doing this - I assume it would need to be done by an uber-member/moderator?
    I could send an email to gliptone at the weekend if you guys want. Test the water...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to steve23002 For This Useful Post:

Tigerhunter (05-11-2009)