Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi Guys

Ok my opinion about this..

If the scratches on the panel are what we call "gone through the clear coat + paint" then i would recommending you to touch up with the exact colour from your manufacturer along with the clear coat. You should be able to purchase a kit form consisting of a small bottle of paint and a small bottle of Lacquer. You can always tell when a scratch "wont come out" of a panel when you polish it. Basically if you polish it and it aint budging then no chance.! Gently rub your finger nail over the scratch, if you feel a "indentation" on the paint then you will never remove it by machine or hand application.

Some pointers to help you

1. If you cannot feel the scratch then you have a good chance of removing it by polish/compound something like Meguiars Scratch x or better something like 3M Extra fine compound. Gently rub over the scratch until it starts to disappear then remove with a cloth, a coat of polish something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish to restore the surface area. You then should see a difference.

2. If you cannot feel the scratch but it still wont come out if you have tried the above technique is to wetsand it out. Scary i know yes but easy to do! The finest paper available you require something like a 3000 grit paper and soak the wet sand paper for approx 10 minutes in warm soapy water. Soak the panel with warm soapy water from a spray bottle, Gently and i mean gently rub over the scratch area for a few passes, when wiped away with a dry cloth or microfibre you will be left with a "hazy" and cloudy area around the scratch. Dont be alarmed this can be removed by polishing it up with the 3M Extra Fine Compound and then with the Autoglym SRP to the natural finish. Scary yes, but fine scratches can be removed easily this way depending on the scratch.

3. If you still can not remove this damn scratch!!! Then this is a technique that involves the wetsanding and the paint i mentioned above. Lightly wetsand the scratch as mentioned in pointer 2. Then with your paint lightly fill in the scratch with a cocktail stick. Leave that to dry for a hour or so depending on tempreture. Now to wetsand again! Again with a fine grade 3000 and sand the surface lightly until flat. Then to fill the scratch out again with more paint and leave to dry, so basically you are filling your scratch in with paint up to the level of the remainder of the paints surface. When you have "built up" the level apply the lacquer, leave to dry, lightly sand and then another coat. After all the "filling" then some 3M Extra Fine and the Autoglym SRP will get rid of any hazing or cloudyness and restore the shine without the ugly scratch.

Please Note! The scratch my still be there but a vast improvement as it will be harder to tell where it is.

This is only a guide to help you guys to see if you can actually do it your self without the fear of the expensive bodyshop repairs.

This is my way of dealing with scratches and it works for me!
    Others my tackle this differently..

HTH

Regards Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    bmwdriver888's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e36 316 compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback

Thanks
    its a second hand car these marks are exepected try the old T cut

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    Lewy_T's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E64 645 CI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,356 Times in 883 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdriver888 View Post
    its a second hand car these marks are exepected try the old T cut
    Doesn't mean the OP can't ask for advice on getting it rectified though mate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12