BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Stretching tyres, help needed please

Tags
stretching
3K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  ragtop steve 
#1 ·
right then guys, im after stretching the tyres on my e36 loon, currently on the rims are 225 45 17, what size do i go for? im thinking maybe 205 40 17? any help would be greatly appreciated:)

#3 ·
sweet, cheers mate, ive got 7.5 j iirc so wouldnt be far of the same as yours:thumbsup

#6 ·
yeah ill stick with 45's have to see what i can get my hands on at work tomorrow, INCREASE ARCH GAP???? you should be banned for life from this forum for such blasphemy! just kiddin :hihi

#16 ·
There is no point stretching tyres on a 7.5j. Its far too thin!

You need 9j minimum on an e36.

You only stretch tyres when the rim is poking out the arch.

Go on google and type in tyre stretch calculator.

Btw. You do realise your car will handle crap, be really uncomfortable and generally unsafe at speed with stretched tyres don't u? Its a fad I can't wait to see the back of.

#17 ·
There is no point stretching tyres on a 7.5j. Its far too thin!
You need to have a look at some of the guy's projects on here. Disco Stu's comes to mind.

You need 9j minimum on an e36.
Wrong. You can make it look good with almost any width. It's the offset that pulls it off.

Btw. You do realise your car will handle crap, be really uncomfortable and generally unsafe at speed with stretched tyres don't u? Its a fad I can't wait to see the back of.
I have to question your experience with this? I run stretched tyres yet my car handles very well. It's perfectly safe at high speeds and isn't any more uncomfortable than 'normal' tyres.

The downside of stretching tyres is that you reduce the contact patch but this isn't really an issue with everyday driving unless you push the limits constantly.

The key to maintaining safety is to keep a close eye on tyre pressures. People I have spoken to run anywhere from 32psi to 38psi.

I do agree however that you can go too far with stretching.

#18 ·
I do agree however that you can go too far with stretching.
Yeah, it does look the dogs b0llocks when its been stupidly strectched. But most of the time when this is done these are for show cars, and 99% of the time the wheels are either fitted at the showground or the car is trailored :thumbsup

#19 ·
i might sound stupid but how do i know what J my wheels are? does it say on them somewhere?

#28 ·
I had 225-35-20 tyres on the front of my e60, on a 9j wheel and unless there was over 45psi they were slipping off the rim, so i am now replacing them with 245-35-20 so i can drive the car. This is also the correct fitment for the wheel. I could also go 235-35-20 but after paying for 2 tyres and having them both loos pressure and slide of i am not taking any chances.:frown

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.