316ti M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback

Thanks
    Evening all,

First post on the forum and first ever BMW owned since Friday of last week...
    I have searched on this forum as well as google for this but have been unsuccessful, it may be that I'm using the wrong name for the trim?
    Anyway the "blackcube" trim around the gear shift has a number of scratches that are a little unsightly and I was looking for a DIY method of tidying it up. I know it can be done because the dealer repaired the ones on the door handles at my request and they look spot on, I missed the ones around the gear shift and they did not see fit to do them of their own initiative- such is life Has anyone done a good diy tidy up on these?

Also is there anything that can be done with the ash-tray cover, it has little marks on it as though someone has dug their nails into the rubberised front. The dealer said there was nothing they could do, again has anyone got any experience in tidying one of these up?
    I have a quote for my local dealer (not the one who sold me the car) to replace it but I'm not sure its worth spending the money, have also seen the diy's on replacing the console section including this front panel but not sure I want to take it to bits myself quite yet...

All suggestions appreciated,

Thanks

Ian

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    The black cube trim around the gear has swirl marks on them or proper scratches? Replacement for this would be about £80. The ashtray cover is part of the carrier and I think it is around £30 for it. Just needs 2 screws at the base to remove.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    ianspen's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316ti M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NealP View Post
    The black cube trim around the gear has swirl marks on them or proper scratches? Replacement for this would be about £80. The ashtray cover is part of the carrier and I think it is around £30 for it. Just needs 2 screws at the base to remove.
    Probably more like surface marks that have removed the colour than deep "scratches", as mentioned the dealer has done a crackin job of sorting the inside door handles which had the same issue when I first saw the car.

I has already priced up the unti to replace the ashtray cove and £30 is about right - I'm just none to keen to start pulling the car apart myself just yet..

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    D-Sport's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    A little bit of a cheat and a bit time consuming but I tried using a black paint pen made by Tamiya (for use with plastic model kits) to "paint" over the scratches then gently wipe over the painted area with a soft lint free cloth. As the trim is slightly three dimensional the cloth only takes off the excess paint on the surface but unless you look really closely you wouldn't notice it had been painted. Seems to do the trick for the moment until I decide what to do on a permanent basis!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to D-Sport For This Useful Post:

JammyB (25-04-2011)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    ianspen's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316ti M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Sport View Post
    A little bit of a cheat and a bit time consuming but I tried using a black paint pen made by Tamiya (for use with plastic model kits) to "paint" over the scratches then gently wipe over the painted area with a soft lint free cloth. As the trim is slightly three dimensional the cloth only takes off the excess paint on the surface but unless you look really closely you wouldn't notice it had been painted. Seems to do the trick for the moment until I decide what to do on a permanent basis!!
    That was the sort of thing I was thinking of so I will keep an eye for these.

Much obliged...