Recommendations for Cosmos black paint?

Notices

Thread: Recommendations for Cosmos black paint?

Reply to Thread
  1. Recommendations for Cosmos black paint? 
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Alex328Sport's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Hey

I've been into paintwork care for quite a long time so am reasonably experienced but i've never really done my BMWs properly.

My 318iS was Brilliant Red and obviously the paint was pretty soft and flat so was easy to polish and my 320 was Zinnobar so again flat and relatively easy to polish.

I've heard that BMW metallic paints are very hard and need a different method.

I have a DA and a rotary with various pads naturally. Will use the rotary for this, partly because it's hard paint and partly because i'm not fussed on messing it up potentially as it's a "cheap" car.

I have a range of polishes from Megs 85 diamond cut(full 10/10 cutting), Sonus SFX 1(6/10), SFX2 and SFX3 among numerous other products but these are my main polishes.

The paintwork is pretty badly swirled, it appears to have never been properly polished and most likely been through car washes. I have seen infinitely worse on 1 year old cars though. So i guess start off with SFX1 followed by SFX2? And on scratched areas and stone chipped areas go for a bit of wet sanding and megs 85 followed by SFX 2, and if 2 isn't taking out the swirls from the 85 go with 1 then 2 after the 85?

I will be using carlack 68 nano tech synthetic care followed by colli 915 afterwards.

Do you think that this is a good idea? If not any recommendations?

Cheers
    Alex

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    sam1832's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertable Msport
    Thanks
    its hard to say what combo will work exactly,

as always start with the least aggressive combo, and step up as required to get the results you want,

I used the menz polishes on mine when i done it last year, and used quite a heavy cut pad with it, turned out well

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Alex328Sport's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Which menz compounds did you use if you don't mind me asking?

I might try SSR1 on the DA on one panel to start with although i have a strong feeling that it won't correct the paintwork. Then will move to the rotary and see if that hits it, if not move up to the 85, i haven't used the 85 yet as it's not been needed but i've been working with soft french paint for the majority of my time lol