Pressure Washer - How Much should I spend? - Page 2

Notices

Thread: Pressure Washer - How Much should I spend?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    btccfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    728 and 745
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996 and 2002
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by w4vy View Post
    You know if you want hot water coming out do you have to get a deisel powered one ? or are there any that you can just attach to a hot, cold water mixture faucet ? Cheers.

EDIT: btw just come across this on ebay if anyone is interested ? It's local pick up only and it's in NUNEATON, Warwickshire. 1 bid on it @ £5 I know it's only a basic one but someone might be interested.

EDIT2: Might be a bargain for someone ?
    You can use hot water with a lot of washers.
    I had a cheapish sealey one that packed up, it had a brush motor (like all the cheapish ones) and one of the pistons seized in the pump.
    I did a lot of research to see if it was gonna be worth getting a new motor or fixing it but it turns out those motors have a very limited shelf life anyway, apparently typical run time for a universal motor is as low as 10 hours!!! (see guide)
    Even induction motors are meant to last 50-60 hours with the more expensive ones 100+ hrs. TBH I'm not sure how accurate that is because mines done close to 50 hrs in 3 or 4 months and seems as good as the day I got it but the guy in the guide seems to know what he's on about??

I got a reconditioned karcher 4.130 which is a good mid-range one.
    It's bl**dy powerful and came with a 6 metre hose, vario lance, blaster lance, patio cleaner, brush and has a built in detergent tank.
    It can use hot water but I've never bothered.
    It's very handy having the built in tank for the car as you get a really good load of foam (I know you detail experts may disagree but you get more than enough foam from this one) but it's worth mentioning that I always do a couple of panels at a time with the foam lance and then brush it by hand coz if you use the brush with the detergent on it uses a whole bottle in the time it takes to clean the car which is expensive.
    All that was only £140 delivered and was in original packaging, looked brand new and came with a years gaurantee.
    I've used it for 2 full days in a row cleaning the monster-in-laws drive and it barely got warm!

This guide is pretty handy if your looking at choosing a new one:
    http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/electrical/...washer_faq.htm

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    mark@vorny.co.uk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    911 C2S
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,738 Times in 2,697 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6891_seb View Post
    oooooohhh that may be worth a punt How much is a new hose though
    I can sort you a hose out Seb, I have 4 Karcher hoses in my garage :

...and I am 10 mins from the item location
    2013, Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, PDK, Sports Exhaust, Chrono, etc, etc

*removed

BFUK weekday crew

PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mark@vorny.co.uk For This Useful Post:

6891_seb (24-12-2010)

Premium Member
    Car Details
    6891_seb's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,881 Times in 2,700 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark@vorny.co.uk View Post

Nice one Mark! ...Will let you know if I win it...
    PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6891_seb Project Thread

6891_seb Project Thread Blog

* Discounted BMW OEM Parts Shop *

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,238 Times in 4,076 Posts
    i slipped in for this one on fleabay 36 quid delivered brand new a bargin works like a champ..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

dont leave them oustide in freezing weather tho and or drain them of water..
    330i sport a big chunk of berlin...

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    doug1234's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    I use the Argos basic £39 one,it gives good pressure / has a detergent bottle .

Main deal is it gets used maybe once a week for around about two hours and the rest of the time sits in the garage in all temperatures,despite this treatment I find they last just over two years until the innards give up and the result is loss of pressure which can be noticed for around a month until it suddenly packs up or it overheats and trips the electrics.

I am on my 3rd at the moment

Premium Member
    Car Details
    6891_seb's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,881 Times in 2,700 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark@vorny.co.uk View Post

Nice one Mark! ...Will let you know if I win it...
    I won it for £10.50! Will be in contact Mark once I hear back from the seller!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6891_seb Project Thread

6891_seb Project Thread Blog

* Discounted BMW OEM Parts Shop *

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    mark@vorny.co.uk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    911 C2S
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,738 Times in 2,697 Posts
    I won it for £10.50! Will be in contact Mark once I hear back from the seller!
    No worries Seb, I will dig one out for you
    2013, Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, PDK, Sports Exhaust, Chrono, etc, etc

*removed

BFUK weekday crew

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mark@vorny.co.uk For This Useful Post:

6891_seb (28-12-2010)

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    Lewy_T's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E64 645 CI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,356 Times in 883 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    I no longer pressure wash the car - don't see the point (it's no quicker) and is thought to damage things like parking sensors etc. Of course having a soft top pretty much sealed a return to bucket/sponge!!

To the OP though, you will notice a difference in the cheaper ones for things like patio cleaning - I used to have a couple of 120 psi+ PWs and when I stopped cleaning the car it only got used once/twice a year for the patios, so went for a cheapo (90 psi). Takes ages longer so a false economy.

Do look at the spares price and availability- those I've had have always worked but damaged/perished hoses and attachments have been more than a new complete kit!!
    This is very interesting - if not slightly worrying

Am I doing bad things by pressure washing my car? Parking sensors wasn't even on the radar when trying to clean the car! Aren't we all trying to get to a friction free wash?

I've spoken with our friends at AutoBrite (excellent service BTW) and they didn't seem to think that there was much wrong - I have to add that I didn't mention too much about cleaning the roof although I did pressure wash / snow foam the hood too, thinking that I'd get it nice and clean!

Mine (Karcher) does about 100bar pressure and then used the snow foam lance too, doesn't seem to shift much off the wheels but then my current wheels are very pitted.

Unless I'm doing it wrong, still plenty of work left after the snow foam. Would do anything to avoid the swirls though...

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    ThE.gRiZzLe's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    I wouldn't say that pressure washing a car is a bad thing, I've always used one since I started out detailing though there is alot of debate about it... Just ensure that the PW is kept at an angle (approx 45degs) from the paintwork to blast the dirt off as opposed to grind it into the paint further.

On the contrary to what has been said in this thread, I personally would choose Nilfisk over any other brand that has been mentioned on this page. There is a premium of course, but at least nilfisks use metal water pumps unlike K'archers which use plastic ones so are prone to breaking.

Power wise, there is a difference, but as mentioned its not the most important thing in the world, but it all depends on what you want the PW for. A more powerful one will work wonders with a foam lance etc. so on the detailing side of things there are bonuses though I would make sure you try to avoid spraying sensors, stonechips & edges of paintwork if possible as these areas are prone to damage from pressure washers.

Also Lewy, remember that snow foam is only a pre-wash, and is only to remove the top layer of dirt, I try never to expect a snow foam to do my job for me, it just assists in the whole cleaning process, and you should expect to still 2BM the car afterwards.

Ahmet

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThE.gRiZzLe For This Useful Post:

6891_seb (28-12-2010),Ian S (04-01-2011),Lewy_T (28-12-2010)

Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo, E60 530D, 911 C4S, Yaris T Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,711 Posts
    My Karacher has just gone pop so thought I'd do a bit of research. The general consensus on the detailing forums is to avoid Karacher and go for Nilfisk. I can also remember DD seams to get through them quite quickly. Looks like you can buy adapters to convert your foam lance if you have one. I bought a Karacher fit one about two months ago! I think it's the Kew/Alto adapter for the Nilkfisk. If anyone is looking for a Karacher Tesco has the 2.56 reduced from £200 to £90 at the moment.

Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast