I was contacted by this customer just before Christmas as he was a little bit concerned about the condition of the paintwork. I agreed to meet up with him at the Subaru dealership to see if I could help resolve the problem in question. The car was an ex demo and the customer had previously looked at the car and raised his concern about the condition of the paintwork. The dealership then got someone in to try and remove the defects in question, but upon another viewing of the car the customer was still not happy with car, more on this in a bit.
Now I’ve only corrected a handful of Subaru Impeza’s and they have all been in a PITA, but this one took the biscuit.
Wheels tackled first with AS smart wheels EZ brush for inners and envy brushes for the faces.
Wheels arches sprayed with AS G101 and agitated with Vikan brush before being rinsed thoroughly.
Warm snow foam solution applied and left to dwell for approx 6 mins.
And then rinsed.
G101 and envy brush took care of all the nooks and crannies.
Snow foamed again and washed 2BM with lambs wool mitt and Megs shampoo plus.
Thoroughly rinsed then clayed while wet with Sonus green.
Final rinse left us with this.
Rolled inside and dried with uber drying towel.
Patted down and the leaf blower was used to blast all the remaining water out of all the gaps.
A few pics of the defects.
This was some ones idea of paintwork correction.
Now this is where the fun and games begin when working on Subaru paint, it soon became apparent that just like other Subaus I have worked on this one was also cursed with the dreaded sticky paint, In fact this was the worse one out of all by a long way. Started of with menz 203s on a 3M waffle polishing pad and not to my surprise the panel became hot to touch immediately and the polish wielded itself to the paintwork. Now having read the write up that Rob (Gleammachine) done a month or so ago on a 330S on DW and struggled just like I was, he suggested to me to try the Festool sheepskin pad at last progress, panel remained much cooler than before and the pad was gliding across the panel lovely. But toward the end of the run I was still having issues with polish residue sticking to the panel. After a lot of shouting, cursing and head scratching I decided to break open a fresh festool polishing pad (black) and give the Gloss it evolution cut a bash which I had purchased from the boys at Polished Bliss in anticipation of this detail. This seemed to be working slightly better and the work time of the polishing sets was increased significantly before I started to get any problems with residue sticking to the panel, but with a spritz of water in between sets the polish broke down leaving the panel with minimal polish residue. Still wasn’t plain sailing and I still had to follow up immediately with 3M ultrafina to clean the panel and reduce the risk of marring the ultra soft paintwork when removing the polish but I was starting to make progress.
A few pics of the progress being made.
With the first day done and dusted and only the bonnet and drivers side corrected I set of home feeling pretty dejected.
Began day 2 with a fresh mind and tried to remain positive starting on the passenger side, seemed to be making much better progress today and was getting to grips with the Gloss it polish.
Knocked in on the head at 8pm with all the correction work now completed.
Having experienced how easily it was to marr the paint I need to use something that was an easy on off product and opted for Blackfire polycharged sealant applied via the G220 and this was topped of with 2 coats of Blackfire midnight sun wax.
Wax was left to cure for 30 mins while attended to few other jobs.
Door rubbers treated with SV seal feed.
Forgot to take anymore photos from this point as I could see the finishing line and just wanted to get it finished.
Exhausts cleaned with Autosol, rear diffuser and mud flaps dressed with Megs all season dressing, wheels sealed with 2 coats of FK1000 etc.
As always thanks for looking.