Model of Car:
    316i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Hi all I am quite new to he cleaning process and would like some advice. I will be purchasing some materials soon and would like to buy the best my budget will allow.

I was going to go with autoglym shampoo, clay, srp and bumper care. Would this be ok to use or would I also need a wax along with this or is there better products out there at the same price?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    mark@vorny.co.uk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    911 C2S
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,738 Times in 2,697 Posts
    Have a word with our forum vendor, Mark (AutobriteDirect), he will give you the best advice going, and no doubt sort you out a good deal
    2013, Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, PDK, Sports Exhaust, Chrono, etc, etc

*removed

BFUK weekday crew

PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mark@vorny.co.uk For This Useful Post:

newbbie (29-12-2010)

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    sam1832's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertable Msport
    Thanks
    What colour is it?

it all depends on what you want out of cleaning your car ... what are you looking to do?
    remove swirls?
    restore shine or deep colour
    just clean and get it looking really good

The products you have suggested
    SRP is really good at hideing swirls and small scratsches
    ag shampoo - i use megs gold class goes a long way it is a really good at cleaning
    http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washin.../prod_423.html
    if its a dark colour car i wouldnt clay it,
    bumper care - never used it

as for a wax to finish it off, i would reccomend collinite 476s its very durabel, very cheap, easy to apply by hand and looks stunning
    http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/co.../prod_451.html

Have you thought of anything for the wheels? i would reccomened bilberry. its non acidic so you can leave it on for as long as you want, you can mix it with water so you can use less for when wheels are less dirty, long lasting
    http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels.../prod_499.html

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Alex328Sport's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    I always use cleanyourcar.com

There are some brilliant detailing guides on detailing world and plenty of advice.

Just buy some basic products, it's more about technique than product to start with, some cheap polish and cheap wax can go very far! It's worth seeing if any of your friends have a dual action polisher to play with as that will make life much easier!

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    tyson01's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci blue/330ci sport black
    Year of Manufacture:
    2000/2003
    Transmission Type:
    1 x manual..1x auto
    Car Body Type:
    both coupe..
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by newbbie View Post
    Hi all I am quite new to he cleaning process and would like some advice. I will be purchasing some materials soon and would like to buy the best my budget will allow.

I was going to go with autoglym shampoo, clay, srp and bumper care. Would this be ok to use or would I also need a wax along with this or is there better products out there at the same price?

Thanks
    hi
    i have always used the turtle wax zipwax shampoo from halfords(always on sale at this time of year) as the main washing agent,then i would shammy the car to get rid of excess water and water marks,i would then spray all four tyres with autoglym tyre shine then i would use Autoglym super resin polish as the main wax, let it dry then buff it off and then for that finishing touch i would apply autoglym extra gloss protection,which gives it the high gloss finish, all these items that i have used over many years are commonly available on fleabay or any motorist shop and best of all they do work,.a brilliant finish is achieved by taking your time and doing a good job..what you put in is what you get out..
    steve
    YOU"LL NEVER WALK ALONE.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    tyson01's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci blue/330ci sport black
    Year of Manufacture:
    2000/2003
    Transmission Type:
    1 x manual..1x auto
    Car Body Type:
    both coupe..
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tyson01 View Post
    hi
    i have always used the turtle wax zipwax shampoo from halfords(always on sale at this time of year) as the main washing agent,then i would shammy the car to get rid of excess water and water marks,i would then spray all four tyres with autoglym tyre shine then i would use Autoglym super resin polish as the main wax, let it dry then buff it off and then for that finishing touch i would apply autoglym extra gloss protection,which gives it the high gloss finish, all these items that i have used over many years and are commonly available on fleabay or any motorist shop and best of all they do work,.a brilliant finish is achieved by taking your time and doing a good job..what you put in is what you get out..
    steve
    here are few pictures off cars that i have owned over the years and used all the above products i have described on, so you dont think im talking rubbish..
    Attached Images
    YOU"LL NEVER WALK ALONE.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    mark beardmore's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    m3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by newbbie View Post

Thanks
    i personally wouldn't bother with ag shampoo, try zymol its available in halfords and is a similar price to ag and a far superior product imo, everything else is fine clay, then a good going over with srp and finally a nice wax will make your car look lovely, i would highly recommend ag's high definition wax or if your on a budget try ether poorboys nattys paste or collinite's 476s both very good for the money, both are available from cleanyourcar.co.uk or performancemotorcare.co.uk

Premium Member
    Car Details
    6891_seb's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,881 Times in 2,700 Posts
    Try and see when halfords are doing 3for 2 or even better buy 1 get 1 free then you can go mad! I normally use megs gold class shampoo but you can pay £16 in halfords thats why its best to get it as part of the deals or go online.

I have also used turtle zipwax in the past, for the price you cant knock it one bit!...
    PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6891_seb Project Thread

6891_seb Project Thread Blog

* Discounted BMW OEM Parts Shop *

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    weryu-2007's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320td compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatch
    Thanks
    hi just been reading this thread.

any advice for a black bmw? , light scratchs and bit neglected paint wise but nothing too serious other than some touched up areas. is it worth T cutting first?

also the convertible roof has minor green (moss id say) patchs here and there any advice for getting rid of this.

thanks

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    ThE.gRiZzLe's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Guess this is another chance for my opinion

Right, I do agree that some of the above products are ok for keeping a car clean but I truly would not recommend going to Halfrauds regardless of what deals they have on purely on the basis that even on a B1G1F offer you will still be overcharged...

Shampoo - Well for a start this whole process will be a waste of time if you cant maintain the finish, so it would be worth investing in 2 decent buckets preferably with grit guards. A decent wash mitt is a must, preferably lambswool so that any grit or dirt will sink into the mitt to prevent further paint damage. Onto the shampoo itself, I used to be a fan of Megs Gold Class until i realised that it will strip your wax/sealant away after a few uses which is quite frustrating when it takes a good while to apply a wax fully in the first place. My personal favourite it DodoJuice Born to be Mild, due to the fact that it is designed to be wax friendly, smells good and has carnuba content. Though it may not look like your getting much for the money a 500ml bottle will outlast most 2L bottles of shampoo due to its 1:800 dilution ratio. It acts as a brilliant lubricant between paint and mitt and with a decent mitt will protect your car very well from paint damage occuring during the wash process. To dry a chamois is a NO NO! Get yourself a couple of decent microfibre or even better waffleweave cloths and pat dry (DON'T SWIPE)

As Sam mentioned, Bilberry wheel cleaner is very good for removing light and heavy dirt and contamination on wheels, whilst still being gentle to the finish.

After the wash process a clay every few months is a good idea purely to get out all of the contaminents that have been ground into the paintwork from every day use, definitely a must before the first time you wax it or you will just be sealing the contaminents in further. A good one to start with is sonus green ultra fine clay as it is one of the more gentle ones and it is easy to use. Just make sure the clay is kept soft by keeping some in very warm water whilst using another bit and keep alternating. Use lots of lubricant which can just be a high concentration shampoo mix in a spray bottle or a dedicated clay lube, they both do the job.

Now onto polishes which is a big area, and alot of people wont like what I say, but AG SRP has always been slightly counter productive in my eyes, purely because it is a filler polish as well as a very light cutting compound. So you end up cutting down the surface for no reason and only filling the imperfections, which means that a wax wont bond to the fillers and as a result the first time it rains your results will be washed away. So using just a filler polish is a safer way to get pretty much the same result. I dont have any personal recommendations for this as when detailing cars I have always been lucky enough to have enough paint to comfortably cut the paint down with a machine polisher. To get a permanent result from SRP by hand you would literally have to spend about 2 days non stop just on the polishing process and anyone who has machine polished a car can vouch for me that to get a decent result even with a machine takes alot of work. Not just a once over with some halfords products. This is not to say dont use it, just dont expect the car to look brand new after 3 hours work.

Finally, wax is an often ignored stage during the cleaning process yet is one of the most important. Without going too in depth, a wax like Collinite 476s, Collinite 915 - Marque de Elegance (My preference) or Victorias concourse Wax are all very durable and will last a good few months at a time. The last two will give a clearer coat, which generally means a nicer finish, but 476s is most peoples choice for its durability. And unless you are really picky with the finish you wont notice the slightest bit of difference. A good wax will protect your paintwork for a good few months though it should be topped up every couple of months between clays.

Heres my results:

Ahmet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast