Lovely E3 detailed if anyone wants some car cleaning p0rn?

Notices

Thread: Lovely E3 detailed if anyone wants some car cleaning p0rn?

Reply to Thread
  1. Lovely E3 detailed if anyone wants some car cleaning p0rn? 
    BFuk Resident Design Guru
    Car Details
    Bigbenstrikes's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Borrowed this from detailing world just thought it was really nice! Ide love it!!

Quote Originally Posted by drive 'n' shine View Post
    I have to say over the few days I had this in I fell in love with it; its the kind of classic that could quite easily cross Europe without breaking sweat, and with its comfortable seats and full length Webasto sunroof, won't leave you feeling tired at the end of your journey.

Some of you will probably never seen one of these before - basically think BMW CS coupe with 4 doors.

Showing just 79k on the clock and with original paintwork from the waistline up, it really is a cherished car, and can normally be found lurking in the classic section of the Gaydon BMW show.

Basically I was asked to give the paintwork an enhancement to knock back the swirling and improve the gloss.

How she looked on arrival, clean would be a good way of describing it

First job was engine bay and wheels, making sure to cover up so of the more delicate areas, water & 35 year old electrics don't mix very well.....

Wheels were removed, as the style didn't really allow for easy cleaning to the backs

As you can see they were a bit grubby, however they are un-laquered alloys so years of baked on brake dust was never going to be totally removed, but it gave me an oportunity to try out some Iron-Cut I got from I4Detailing

Iron-Cut doing its stuff...

Now, I forgot to get an after :o , but will say even with multiple hits with AS smartwheels and followed up with Iron-Cut the wheels were still far from perfect.

Copper grease applied to hub before replacing wheels and doing the nuts up to factory torque settings. Process repeated to all wheels

Usual wash & clay procedure was then carried out - no pics as it was getting late on day 1

Day 2, i made a start on the paintwork, which had a lot of original single stage metallic with a lot of it reading sub 100 microns, so a bit of extra care was required on these areas; I chose a multiple hit approach with Menz 203s on a yellow 3M pad for those areas, giving me a very controlled level of removal, 3.02 was used on the lower areas with the newer clear coated paint.

Various before and afters - different colours are down to the lights and me not changing my white balance setting :o

The roof was the worst area a) because it was pretty badly scratched b) most of the paint was reading around 85 - 90 microns, so the best I could hope for was to reduce the appearance of the RDS

Before

A sort of 50/50 the side nearest the camera shows a great improvement in the RDS and clarity of the paint

Same area from the opposite angle

The whole finish was then refined further with SV CF Pro, leaving the paintwork nice and glossy

Whilst I was doing that, I got the missus busy with the Britemax metal polish & sealant on all the brightwork - she was well impressed...... :rolleyes:

Next up was the wax - Swissvax Best of Show, while that was curing all the other finishing touches were completed, tires dressed with Pneu, glass cleaned with 3M glass cleaner, interior given a quick vac and wipedown.

Wax buffed off leaving this....

Some final shots outdoors

Cheers for looking
    Bryan

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    shamM3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Vert
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Good job but that guy seriosuly needs to tarmac his car park, i'd flip after spending time polishing and then driving on that

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    eddiee36's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    116i SE & 318ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005 & 1999
    Transmission Type:
    All Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatch & Compact
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shamM3 View Post
    Good job but that guy seriosuly needs to tarmac his car park, i'd flip after spending time polishing and then driving on that
    I was just thinking the same
    Rich

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Kevin Whittaker's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E30 325iSE, E36 M3 convertible and E91 330i Msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    1988, 1997 & 2008
    Transmission Type:
    Manual, Manual & Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe, Convertible & Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,020 Times in 3,812 Posts
    How much copperslip???.... Can you imagine the mess when that heats up and starts to run? Oh and the reduction in breaking performance when it's all over the disks and pads??

Really nice finished pictures of a great looking car though... Not sure about the drive either TBH!

Bfuk Legend
    Car Details
    RJB328i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    350i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    2 door vert
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,626 Times in 4,238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Whittaker View Post
    How much copperslip???.... Can you imagine the mess when that heats up and starts to run? Oh and the reduction in breaking performance when it's all over the disks and pads??

Really nice finished pictures of a great looking car though... Not sure about the drive either TBH!
    Kevin
    holy crap and he aplies it with a piant brush maybe he had a nightmare trying to get them off

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RJB328i For This Useful Post:

Kevin Whittaker (25-06-2010)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    ElectricGer's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Never heard of anyone going to the effort of respraying only the bottom half of a car for any reason

Pretty car though

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    shamM3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Vert
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricGer View Post
    Never heard of anyone going to the effort of respraying only the bottom half of a car for any reason

Pretty car though
    Probably to keep the top half original You know how some classic car nuts are lol rather repair than replace