E30 Baur 320i & E34 535i Sport Manual & E34 530 Touring Manual
    Year of Manufacture:
    E30 1985 - E34 1990 - E34 1993
    Transmission Type:
    Auto & Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Cab, Saloon & Touring

Thanks
    Thought I'd post this new 330D that I'd been asked to carry out a new car prep on

Even after the owner requesting that no prep work was done by the dealer, they insisted that they wouldn't be happy letting a new car be delivered unprepared, so to keep the peace they were told to do the very minimum (or their usual

On arrival

Someone forgot to buff off parts of the PDI polish

Rob (Gleam Machine) popped over on Monday to drink my coffee :rolleyes: and catch up (we were later joined by 'The Celeb' in the pub) and was kind enough to leave me some BH Autofoam to try out, so after cracking out the logarithm book and calculator, I mixed up the correct amount and foamed the car.

While this was doing its thing, I cleaned the wheels with AS Smart Wheels (10:1)

I have to say I was pretty impressed at how clean the BH AF left the car (although it was hardly a test of its abilities), I would imagine a pretty good touchless wash could be achieved with a well protected car.

Car was then washed with AS Autowash, I suffered a battery failure on my camera then, so no pics.

So resorting to my backup camera while batteries charged, I brought the car indoors for claying.

Sonus green and AS Reglaze as lube.

Good to see the dealers where up to their usual high standards :rolleyes: this was the clay after less than a quarter bonnet.

All the horizontal panels were covered in rail dust, so back outside and another wash down with AG Fallout remover, which IMO is the best way to tackle rail dust, as claying can risk leaving parts of the contaminant still embedded in the paintwork due to the shearing action of claying, which can lead to further problems at a later date.

Back inside to dry off, all the nooks and cranies where blown out with the airline to prevent annoying drips later.

Onto tidying up the engine bay, first up removing the excess cavity wax from the top of the wing seams

After applying some Tardis and wiping off

The thin layer of grime in the engine compartment was wipedown then dressed with neat AS Finish, excess buffed off

Then onto the inspection.

There were a few light scratches and swirling on pretty much every panel, a complete nightmare to catch with the camera but I got this one.

More worrying though (apart from the OP) was the pitting in the clear from when the hot rail dust had landed on the car.

After inspected it with my illuminated magnifying pen it didn't, fortunately, appear to have penetrated the clear coat.

A quick test section was done and I settled on SV CF Pro on a 3M polishing pad, which had enough bite to correct up the swirls and remove enough clear to eradicate the pitting.

One day BMW might actually decide to do something about the shocking orange peel on the 3 series :rolleyes:

Once all the machine work was completed, the whole car, including wheels, was given an IPA wipedown

Ready to apply Nanolex Premium Paint Sealant, this is claimed to last 2 -3 times as long as the Nanolex Basic Paint Sealant, so I shall be looking forward to the long term durability of this product.

Applied as per the instructions to all painted surfaces including the wheels

Once the sealant application was completed, I then used the glass kit, first up the cleaner

Not the easiest of glass cleaners to use, but does seem to be very effective

Then following the instructions the sealant was applied

buffed and left for 2 hours before a final buff to remove the final residue once cured.

Next up the interior treatments.

First the leather sealant

Applied as per the instructions

Curing

Carpets and mats were treated with the premium textile sealant

Tyres were dressed with Zaino Z-16.

Arches dressed with AS Finish.

Tailpipes cleaned and sealed with Britemax metal sealant, which for the satin finish tailpipes is ideal as it is non-abrasive.

And the end results, I took quite a few as I wanted to try and capture the glassy look this sealant gives

I want these door handles :

Sealed wheels

Cheers for looking

Bryan :thumb:
    E30 Baur - Restoration started.............

E34 535 Sport, engine rebuild to be complete by end of Jan

E34 530 Touring V8 burble with a stick to stir the gears

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BryanD For This Useful Post:

xXNealXx (05-03-2009)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Looking good Bryan . Did Rob mention that new foam he is trying out from Bilt Hamber?

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    BryanD's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto & Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Cab, Saloon & Touring

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NealP View Post
    Looking good Bryan . Did Rob mention that new foam he is trying out from Bilt Hamber?
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanD View Post
    Rob (Gleam Machine) popped over on Monday to drink my coffee :rolleyes: and catch up (we were later joined by 'The Celeb' in the pub) and was kind enough to leave me some BH Autofoam to try out, so after cracking out the logarithm book and calculator, I mixed up the correct amount and foamed the car.

While this was doing its thing, I cleaned the wheels with AS Smart Wheels (10:1)

I have to say I was pretty impressed at how clean the BH AF left the car (although it was hardly a test of its abilities), I would imagine a pretty good touchless wash could be achieved with a well protected car.

Quite impressed with it

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Sorry Bryan, didn't spot that . Is it better than your PH neutral or whatever you use?

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Joe9087's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320ci M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,701 Times in 2,156 Posts
    Nice work mate!

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    BryanD's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto & Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Cab, Saloon & Touring

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NealP View Post
    Sorry Bryan, didn't spot that . Is it better than your PH neutral or whatever you use?
    It certainly seems to be effective although a new car with just over 100 miles on the clock is hardly a challenge. My car is absolutely filthy at the moment after 1000 miles since its last wash so I'll give it a try on that at the weekend.

Certainly smells nicer that my current line up of foams

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Gleaming Kleen's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks