E60 530d SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004(04) 1/4/04
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    well guys i did it i painted my 530d SE button boxes and plastics on my steering wheel and this is the guide on how to do it,

BEFORE STARTING DISCONNECT THE BATTERY AND LEAVE THE CAR FOR ABOUT 20-30 MINS BEFORE PROCEEDING!!!

here is it standard...

here is how i took it to bits...
    at the bottom of the wheel there is a small hole look into it with a torch and you will see a metal bit take a blunt rod (like a philips screw driver with the philips bit rounded off so its blunt) and poke it in the hole and push the bar till the airbag unit pops out...

there is a cable that is for the airbag you must disconnect aswell from the steering wheel not the back of the airbag...

once the airbag unit is out you will see four torques screws (silver ones)...

after you take them out gently pull the cables out of there bits in the wheel that keeps them neat to give you a bit of length on the cable to turn the plastics/button boxs and airbag holder over so you can undo the six torques screws in to the plastic and button box (three for each side)...

once you get them out the airbag holder comes away from the plastics allowing you to undo the cables to the volume control ect on both sides just take a tiny flat screw driver and very gently pry the clip away from the hook and pull out the plug (just remember which cable gose where one is black one is white)...

after you get them free from the car go to a bench, the button boxs and the plastics seperate making it easyer to paint ect there is a clip to seperate them very simple just put a little flat screw driver in and twist it slightly to alow the the clip to miss the catch then pull gently apart so you are left with this...

once youve done that remove the four philips screws on the back of each button box and remove the bit with the electric board and microswitches and place in a safe place this will now look like this...

after that remove these two little plastic plungers on the back of the toggle switches and DONT loose them...

then if you look behind the toggle switch you will see where it pivots on two pins well you have to get two tiny flat screw drivers and poke then down either side of the toggle switch from behind (not the side you see when your driving) just enough to clear to the toggle of the two pins so you can remove the toggle switch, now i just masked up the two buttons as best i could as i was unsure how to remove them and didnt want to damage them so if anyone can help here that be great...

now before painting i took a painters scotch bright pad (like a brillo pad but for the car painting industry) and gave all the parts a rub down with it to rough up the plastics so the primmer had something to grip onto, i then gave all the parts a spray of grey primmer i bought from Halfords (awesome paints there so easy and good to use) left that to dry then another coat and left it to dry as well, now i was doing it at my work in front of an industrial heater so the paint dried very fast for me so once the primmer dried i started to spray on my silver paint (i will find out the name and coads of the paint so you know which one to buy if you fancy a try at it) and again was a case of sray wait to dry spray wait spray and then left it for longer to cure and that was it done...

well while i was waiting for the plastics to cure i decided that i hated the look of my auto gear knob aswell the guy that had it before me must have worn a ring and damaged the silver bit on the gear knob...

so i removed the gear knob by putting the car in neutral (which you CAN do with no battery attatched you just need to put ur foot on the foot brake and move the stick but make sure the handbrake is on!!) and then just press the selector button and lift towards the roof it can be hard so pull hard, once i got it off i got it masked up, rubbed down, primmered twice, painted three times and this time i put some clear coat on aswell just for that added protection and once it was dry it wasnt as shiny as i thought it was going to be which was great (havent got a close up of it but it looks same as the plastics but a tiny bit shinier)...

so that was everything i wanted painted done and dried i just followed the take down steps in reverse and everything went back perfect...

so i went from black to silver and only took a few hours...

hope this helps you guys because i could not find a guide to help me do this at all just one for the sport steering wheel so hope you like it and it you know how the buttons come out the button box please say

thanks

mark

BMW F20 LCI 120d Msport 2016 manual, Alpine White, ferric grey alloys, red corral heated leather, pro nav, DC pack, IC pack, comfort access, parking sensors all round, harmon kardon and rear debadge.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    adam.wilkinson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ise
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Cracking job mate, lifts the dash really well!
    If it aint broke, don't fix it!!!

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    swankypotter's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 530d SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004(04) 1/4/04
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    thanks mate if anyone needs help doing this job give me a shout and ill help if i can

thanks

mark

BMW F20 LCI 120d Msport 2016 manual, Alpine White, ferric grey alloys, red corral heated leather, pro nav, DC pack, IC pack, comfort access, parking sensors all round, harmon kardon and rear debadge.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    chrisymarr's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    535D M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    thats tidy, must say very impressed

BMW 535D M Sport

Xenons, Leather Seats + Heated, Electric Folding Mirrors, Pro Nav with widescreen and Bluetooth, Climate Control, CD Changer, Auto Dimming Mirrors.

Wheel change in may

LED Plate Lights
    Dension Gateway 500
    Super Bright White Angel Eyes

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    swankypotter's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 530d SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004(04) 1/4/04
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisymarr View Post
    thats tidy, must say very impressed
    thanks very much mate was actualy alot easyer than i thought it would be

thanks

mark