330d sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Dec 2003
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Right! Solved this problem at the weekend on mine. I had exactly the same issue last year and it resolved itself but reoccured following the heavy rain at the weekend and was only intermittently opening when I turned the lights on and then tried to open it.

If you can open the boot by turning the lights on, open the glass tailgate and lean into the boot. Just below where the catch would close on the inside ie just above the carpet there is a small capped open, flick this out with a screwdriver and you will see a small red plastic lever which you can push across to open the door.

With the door open remove the carpet panel (three small clips) and you will be confronte with multicoloured sound deadening. I couldn't be bothered to remove the plastic interior panel which holds this in and simply cut the sound deadening. Inside in the middle of the door there is a wire plug connector which is clipped to the back of the rear windscreen wiper motor - this is the culprit and the connection was soaking through and very corroded - treat with WD40 and work backwards and forwards a bit then leave unconnected for a half an hour to allow it to all dry off then reassemble and wrap in insulatiog tape to prevent it happening again.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hezicar For This Useful Post:

xXNealXx (30-08-2011)

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hezicar View Post
    Right! Solved this problem at the weekend on mine. I had exactly the same issue last year and it resolved itself but reoccured following the heavy rain at the weekend and was only intermittently opening when I turned the lights on and then tried to open it.

If you can open the boot by turning the lights on, open the glass tailgate and lean into the boot. Just below where the catch would close on the inside ie just above the carpet there is a small capped open, flick this out with a screwdriver and you will see a small red plastic lever which you can push across to open the door.

With the door open remove the carpet panel (three small clips) and you will be confronte with multicoloured sound deadening. I couldn't be bothered to remove the plastic interior panel which holds this in and simply cut the sound deadening. Inside in the middle of the door there is a wire plug connector which is clipped to the back of the rear windscreen wiper motor - this is the culprit and the connection was soaking through and very corroded - treat with WD40 and work backwards and forwards a bit then leave unconnected for a half an hour to allow it to all dry off then reassemble and wrap in insulatiog tape to prevent it happening again.
    Thanks for the update. I would use self amalgamated tape to make it completely waterproof. Insulating tape may give up after some time.