320 cd m
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Hi Guys,

I have just bought a 320 coupe in black on a 05 plate. The car has been up and down the motorway since new and is showing quite a few chips and scratches in the normal places. I have gone to town with Autoglym but to be honest the polish has highlighted the chips more. Has anyone ever used the colour wax and does it work? If so could anyone recommend the best one for my black beauty?

Thanks

Nicki

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

M11HRN
    Hey Hollis,

Colour wax will remove some light scratches, t-cut or similar polishing will remove deeper scratches. I have used colour chip sticks on stone chips before on a black golf Gti to be honest i wasnt that impressed by the end result and it's quite time consuming filling them in before waxing.

I also have a few stone chips on my E46 and i am considering getting a coachworks to professionally touch them up. So i am also interested in hearing any other suggestions?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to M11HRN For This Useful Post:

hollis (05-10-2008)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    660smc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e39 528i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    stonechips are the most common reason we paint bonnets... every car gets them. if theres just a few and you want a D.I.M solution, (doin it meself) then halfords do a usefull touchup pack with primer, colour and laquer pens. take your time and build it up in layers, but the laquer is what you will need to "fill" the chip. get the colour in the chip, this will be very thin and matt, make sure you dry each application thouroughly otherwise you will wipe it out with the next. once you have the required depth and its properly cured, flat it off with some p2000 grade wet or dry paper, or preferably 3M 9 micron flourettes. then use a fine compound liquid preferably with a mop (machine polisher) to remove the flatting marks and then a good polish/finishing glaze. i have a customer with an aston martin vantage and hes very insistant on not painting it, so once a year we use this method to sort the odd chip. if you take your time you can get some really great results, especially on dark colours. silvers and light blues arnt as successful.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 660smc For This Useful Post:

Ronnie (05-10-2008)

7. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    synthetic's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    where can i get colour wax from?

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    660smc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e39 528i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    halfords.... but it aint all its cracked up to be, will only cover up very minor imperfections for a short time..

10. Touch up 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    sprinter54321's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Dont go down the colour magic polish solution very smeery on blacks and pointless ....

Been in the vehicle repair business for 17 years and now run my own cosmetic repair business "having a late start today "!!!

Dependent on your knowledge of touchin up and so on but heres a basic guide line for black cars ..

Items required :
    1 Electric buffer /polisher/grinder will do as long as the speed can be turned down
    2 Bottle of g3 farecla Small bottle
    3 2000 wet and dry
    4 touch up stick from "BMW" dont get from a third party seller nine times out of ten dont match
    5 a bit of patience and a few hours to spare

All or most bmw,s now are powder coated and you can go for ever to buff up to a longer lasting shine
    Step 1 wash and dry the car off properly leeve the total job on a windy day unless you can get the car inside
    Step 2 check around at the stone chips and heavy scratches with the touch up pen use a tooth pick for the stone chips not the brush out of the kit its like trying to open your front with the key on a 10foot pole!!
    3 leave to dry for a few hours or otherwise add heat to painted areas to dry faster
    4 use the 2000 wet and dry go over the excess of the touch ups to level down ...Also do the finer scratches the ones that you can see but cant feel ...Laquer faintly marked will look milky on black and you will certainly know what i meen there?
    5 Now this is where you ither use t cut or an electric buffer to finish off the parts touched in or buff the whole car up ....The latter is better and with Farecla G3 will look a treat ...Also use a polish mop not a hard foam buffing mop on blacks unless you want it to look swirley in the sun ....
    6 If you have patience and are not too scared to tackle your self its a very rewarding DIY job u can do on your car

Otherwise ring your local repair guys or take to the local body shop i think 100 bucks will get you best value for money on your car ....

All the best D

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sprinter54321 For This Useful Post:

Ronnie (16-10-2008)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    almostaclassic's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    sprinter54321's advise is good. however, G3 can leave swirls which can be seen on the car in direct sunlight. to get rid of these swirls, use g10. works a treat but best to get in booked into a body shop as best results are acheved with a machiene polisher. i can reccomend a place who did me a custom respray on an e36 convertible if your anywhere near birmingham.