Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    I have found this on a website

Are these Xenon HID systems road legal?
    According to EU legislation HID systems standard factory fitted from the factory require a self levelling system and a lens washer to be fitted. However this is not specified for aftermarket kits. Our kits have passed all safety and emmissions tests and produce the correct light pattern. We know they will pass an MOT (original bulbs can be reinstalled in minutes if required without uninstalling the HID system). We are not aware of any legality issues over the use of aftermarket HID kits when installed correctly and when the colour tempature is 6000k to 8000k but it should be worth noting that car headlights have to produce a white light so the 10000k and 12000k kits may be a bit blue / purple for legal road use.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    328mark's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 328i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,920 Posts
    the way i read that road traffic act info was...dont be fitting hid into reflector headlights as the beam cant be precisely controlled.
    simple solution...fit projector lensed headlights (like what i did)

what i've felt,what i've known
    never shined through in what i've shown.

-------------------------------------------
    PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Unknownsoldier's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001 (51)
    Transmission Type:
    SMG
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe/Convertable
    Thanks
    Sorry Mark, but they are technically illegal, unless; are they yours in the photo? with the washers? (I asked for some clarification from a lawyer I know), he says that the rules laid down (that I posted earlier are whats followed by the police and more importantly insurance (i.e. if you have an accident and they say it was down to them being blinded, and your lights don't fit the legality laid down by the DOT then your insurance is invalid..... :-( )). Also if it doesn't meet the criteria, your car could be seized by the police (day or night). It is sad, but they are cracking down.

So basically you must fit washers, and levellers otherwise no kit is road legal.

Tom
    I am not an old git........................

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Unknownsoldier's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001 (51)
    Transmission Type:
    SMG
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe/Convertable
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Collister5 View Post
    I have found this on a website

Are these Xenon HID systems road legal?
    According to EU legislation HID systems standard factory fitted from the factory require a self levelling system and a lens washer to be fitted. However this is not specified for aftermarket kits. Our kits have passed all safety and emmissions tests and produce the correct light pattern. We know they will pass an MOT (original bulbs can be reinstalled in minutes if required without uninstalling the HID system). We are not aware of any legality issues over the use of aftermarket HID kits when installed correctly and when the colour tempature is 6000k to 8000k but it should be worth noting that car headlights have to produce a white light so the 10000k and 12000k kits may be a bit blue / purple for legal road use.
    Read it again, it says will pass an MOT, as it has correct beam pattenr, the CE mark means nothing it's a manufacture mark stating they are manufactured to certain tolerances, any kit they fit without levellers or washers is illegal, and they cover that well at the end with "We are not aware of any legality issues over the use of aftermarket HID kits when installed correctly and when the colour tempature is 6000k to 8000k" As they are "not aware", they are trying to negate their responsibility to state for off road use only.....

Tom
    I am not an old git........................

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Collister5's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Ah right thanks guys ill the a speek to some of the guys at the vehicle testing centre and see what they say.
    Thanks Dayle

BMW Master
    Car Details
    L16YD L's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d SE Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Estate
    Thanks
    It all depends on how anal your MOT station is. I had my HID's fitted to my Astra Coupe when it went for the MOT and he said it was fine. Police might pull you up if they are too bright but apart from that, i should be fine. I fitted my HID's in last night and i wont be using Xenon beam headlights as they are rare as fook for the Compact.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12