E46 M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Hi
    Im think of putting a HID kit in my E46 325i i was just wondering wether anyone Knew what the legal limit in terms of Heat and colour was on them?
    Could anyone recommend any Kits ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Unknownsoldier's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001 (51)
    Transmission Type:
    SMG
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe/Convertable
    Thanks
    I think 6000K is legal, most BM's are fitted factory standard with 4500K, but I'm not 100% sure there is a 'legal' limit, just as long as you have the auto levellers, washers, and they are set correctly.....

Tom
    I am not an old git........................

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Unknownsoldier For This Useful Post:

Collister5 (01-05-2009)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Joe9087's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320ci M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,701 Times in 2,156 Posts
    4500k-6000k are the best, I have 6000k, they're pure white, very slight tinge of blue from a distance perhaps but no more so than factory xenons.

8000k is definitely noticeably blue and not as bright, 10000k is very blue and you'd probably get pulled over at some point.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe9087 For This Useful Post:

Collister5 (01-05-2009)

7. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Collister5's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    O right thanks is it nessasary to have auto leveling headlightsand if so do you know of any kits you can buy to make them auto leveling as my car does not have xenons in it at the moment?
    I have noticed on that they are actually not as bright once you go past
    6000k they just become more blue.Can you recommend any kits in particualar because i know some kits can cause warning lights to come on, on the dashboard.

Thanks Dayle

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Joe9087's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320ci M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,701 Times in 2,156 Posts
    I don't know of any kits that sell auto-levellers but washers and auto-levellers aren't legally required on cars with Aftermarket Xenons, only on cars that come factory fitted with xenons.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001 (51)
    Transmission Type:
    SMG
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe/Convertable
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe9087 View Post
    I don't know of any kits that sell auto-levellers but washers and auto-levellers aren't legally required on cars with Aftermarket Xenons, only on cars that come factory fitted with xenons.
    As far as I know, thats not correct, they changed the rules recently I beleive, you are now required to have washers and levellers on any car that has HID lights. My Hellas had provision for self levellers.

Here you, it is a legal requirement to have washers and levellers on EVERY set of HID lights you have.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

The following is the legal rationale:

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
    Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

ATB,
    Tom

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Unknownsoldier For This Useful Post:

steve23002 (01-05-2009)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Collister5's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    O right they will never acctually be checked by a garage over here as we dont have an MOT system. Its just a case of that they are not so blue that i get pulled over for them.

Thanks
    Dayle

BFuk Legend
    Car Details
    steve23002's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,379 Times in 5,803 Posts
    The road traffic act is different from the MOT. You cannot fail them on a MOT for not having washers or levelling BUT you can be prosecuted under the road traffic act
    I could not fail them on an MOT unless they were substantially Blue or incorrectly aimed

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    johnthesifu's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    The headlight washers and levellers only apply to cars built after a certain date (i.e almost every car). Some older cars didnt have washers but had xenons...

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001 (51)
    Transmission Type:
    SMG
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe/Convertable
    Thanks
    Yes, but if they came from the factory they were technically legal before that although I believe they may possibly not be now..... although if your car never had Xenons fitted from factory, levellers and washers are required......

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast