E36 328i Coupe / E36 M3 Evo
    Year of Manufacture:
    1997/P - 1996/N
    Transmission Type:
    Manual / Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe / Coupe
    Thanks
    Also with regards to a touch up pen, the tips are too thick and clumsy to provide a nice finish so whatever you touch up will be evident to the eye by a 'brush' stroke.
    Let the fun times roll .....

BMW 328i Coupe - Boge M-Tech Shocks, Boge Turbo Lowering Spring Kit (30/20mm), ATE Power Discs
    Volvo C70 T5 GT
    UK Spec Toyota Supra 3.0ltr Twin Turbo Automatic
    ZX6R J1 Ninja

Tyre Guide & FAQ http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...re-faqs-t1569/

BFUK weekday crew

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    baderlfc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback
    Thanks
    also unless you go to bmw directly your unlikely to get a perfect colour match!! and bmw touch up paint doesnt come cheap!!
    E46 325ti Sport
    Lowered 50/40 on Weitec springs
    18" staggered BBS RS-GTs

Pioneer MVH-8200
    Focal Polyglass 5.25" 130VB components
    Alpine MRP-M650 Monoblock with Alpine Type R 10"

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    Diablo944's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 ti compact sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    leadfoot sport trip
    Car Body Type:
    compact
    Thanks
    add in the fact that even the right colour may not match a paint that has been exposed to sunlight and weather.

Best way of saying this is as it comes, and I am sure that most here are trying to say it without being blunt.

Its a 99 percent probability that whatever YOU do personally will end up remaining visible to you (and others). Unless you are good enough to do a perfect job and are confident you can do it in a way that is acceptable to you then I (and most others here I think) would get a paintshop guy to have a look and give you a quote.

If you have a hundred quid to put it right, and you can get the job done for that (or less), then I personally would rather fork out the money and get it done right.

There is nothing worse than wasting money on a half hearted fix only to see it turn out wrong. Worse still, you could make matters worse and take it from being a simple job for a paintshop into a nightmare job that costs more in the long run.

When all is said and done though, it is your car and only you know what you are expecting. I had an MR2 years ago that had a rust spot on the wing the size of an old half pence piece. The car was diamond white and the spot was the only blemish on an otherwise perfect paintwork (caused by previous owner ignoring a stone chip).

I touched it up solely to protect the panel. That mark pissed me off every single day I had the car. Never enough to justify getting it properly rectified, but it still narked me.

It's up to you. It sounds like you want to be told that having a go yourself is the way to go. But I feel many here will say that getting it done right is their preferred option.

Touch up and T cut for a deep scratch sounds like a horror story in the making. That said, if the rest of the car isnt mint, then whats another touch up between friends.
    2002 325 Compact Sport ti M-Tec---- A little thanks goes a long way

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    baderlfc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback
    Thanks
    i'd totally 2nd that!

entirely upto you obviously but you are much better off paying the money to let the experts sort it out and im sure you'll be well pleased with the result!!
    E46 325ti Sport
    Lowered 50/40 on Weitec springs
    18" staggered BBS RS-GTs

Pioneer MVH-8200
    Focal Polyglass 5.25" 130VB components
    Alpine MRP-M650 Monoblock with Alpine Type R 10"

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Sh0x's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    TT 225 Quattro
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanks for replies!

I dont want to make it worse as right now that is the only mark on the car! And I DO have £100 in my hand to put it right.

I assumed a touch up pen would be about ten quid and T cut about the same, but I'd still get a polish out of it :P Me trying to save the pennies after it being in the garage and spending £285 already on it (different story!)

If the Touch up/Tcut was a possible fix, I would try it, I would LIKE to try it, but this is my first experience with scratches so thought I would ask !

Ill get a bodyshop or 2 to look at it, Like you say, might be cheaper than Im thinking.

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    Diablo944's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 ti compact sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    leadfoot sport trip
    Car Body Type:
    compact
    Thanks
    At this moment, financially, I am on my arse. If mine had been keyed, the only reason I would take a touch up stick to the scratch would be if it was through to the metal and ran the risk of rusting before I could deal with it financially via somebody who does it for a living.

I have done minor paintwork on a lot of my older cars over the years, but a touchup stick and Tcut will never result in an invisible repair. I do use Tcut occasionally on small light scratches, but anything over a certain size and depth makes the whole tcut approach a waste of time and effort.

The guy I use is somebody I spotted at a bike shop where my mate works. He was doing a panel repair and respray on an R1. At the time I had an Astra Life (dont ask). I had spotted a scratch down the door edge where Somebody had been opening the door against a wall, but while he was there I realised that the front bumper corner had been caught and the paint had been scraped off in a six inch length about half an inch wide straight through the (hard to describe light metallic blue) paint. Worse still it had cut into the plastic and flattened off the contact area.

Long story short, He sanded the damage down, mixed the paint colour (as he didnt have the actual colour) and resprayed the whole corner. The repair was perfect and was all done under the fold out canopy of his van. It took him about an hour and a half all in and it cost 70 quid.

He is a travelling paint repair guy. I am not saying they are all as good as this guy, but it is another string to your bow when you are looking for a repair. Pick a reputable one and you cant go too far wrong.

I met the guy again some months later at the dealership I bought my Beemer from as he was there to repair a keyed Merc they were selling. Turns out that most of his work is with dealerships and sales forecourts. They call him in for the smaller jobs, charge the punters big money and pay him peanuts.

Same guy did the whole side of a girlfriends honda civic (keyed badly from front to back down one side) at a cost of 220 quid. Though for that he did have the car in his garage instead of a roadside repair.
    2002 325 Compact Sport ti M-Tec---- A little thanks goes a long way

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Sh0x's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    TT 225 Quattro
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    My brother had a little cockup in a supermarket carpark and scratched his car up. Went to a place he's been to before and was going to reccomend me if work was okay, but its not good and has slight orange peel under door handles. He paid £150 but they guy will try to buff it out.

Im worried Ill go to the wrong place and they'll do a bad job! I assumed it would be no harm in trying to touch it up myself, but I dont think I understood the severity of a key scratch!

Thanks for advise, I think I will give a guy from the old corsa forum I was on a call (sharpe concepts) as he's supposed to be fairly priced with good results.

If anyone can reccomend anywhere in / around london area I would be willing to check it out. Thanks for reading, Ill update if I get it sorted?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12