BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E46 compact grilles

7K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  KLB 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any pictures of an e46 compact with the front grilles de-chromed? preferebly a M sport thanks!! :thumbsup

#2 ·
id be interested in this as well :)

#3 ·
to be honest I think the de chromed stuff looks like a chav mod, I personally don't find them appealing at all.

#4 ·
:jaw-dropping I did but ive managed to find a few on google and it really suites the car, especially as theres no other chrome parts on there :)

#5 ·
Couple I managed to find

#6 ·
:confusedthat looks really smart on the black one

not so sure about the silver though

hmmmm would it soon my maroon is the question?

#7 ·
Not sure its one of those things you dont know till u try :thumbsup

#9 ·
If you really want to see what it looks like, try taking a picture of the front of your car as near identical placed as the black one shown above and I will photoshop it for you. I do a lot of photoshop stuff and imho I think it will look sh*te on a burgundy compact. To me it looks wrong on the silver one, and am not even sure about the black one if I am totally honest.
I briefly thought about it until I saw another picture of a black grilled black compact and it just seemed to be that bit too much black. Mind you, having black and silver roundels on mine makes it even more black. I kind of wonder how the conversation went for the specs of my car when it was built.
Body colour? black
seats? leather please, in black
door panels? black
roof lining? black
dashboard? black
steering wheel? black
carpets? black

#10 ·
This thread set me off thinking about it all over again. Worse still, it made me consider the possibility of a partial black grille. The quick photoshop knock up isn't perfect, but it gives a general idea of what I am considering.In the pic, A=standard silver. B-verticals blacked and surround left silver. C=fully black
sorry about the quality, not up to my usual standard. Might improve on it later when I have more time.

What does everyone else with an opinion think of a partial black option.

#11 ·
i think C looks smart :thumbsup

#13 ·
Which do you like then mate?

#16 · (Edited)
too late now

Decision made and job done. I decided on a Satin (not gloss) black surround to the grille with matte vertical fins. I am happy with the results, I think it looks a lot more sympathetic to the colour scheme than the shiny silver ever did. I was going to just post the one picture, but as somebody had asked for pics of a black grilled M sport, I am putting a few up (as well as showing off my own handywork).

#19 · (Edited)
Typical vauxhall fan, ignore the mock up images and requests for ideas, then have an opinion once it is finally done. :hihi The compact front end looks better to me in black than it ever did in silver and thats all that really matters. There are a couple of Rover models out there that have a grille and headlight combination that is similar (yet totally different) to the compact. Using the MG analogy I would rather it was mistaken for an MG than one of them.

So what of the rest of the forum? Does it look better in black or is it a heinous crime against BMW aesthetics.

Maybe I should change it back to silver. NOT!

Hang on a second, I just thought about it a bit more. It's a BMW!. I looked at it again as I went out earlier and it is definitely a BMW. Nice straight six under the bonnet, rear wheel drive? yep BMW all the way. It is still a BMW from a distance as well. So for those who think it looks like another car? tough. It's staying black. That said, here is an MG pic showing their colour coded grilles for comparison. I have to say, mine isn't colour coded, and no attempt to blend it was aimed for, the satin and matte are nothing like the silver fleck black of the car. The grille stands out more in the flesh than in images.

#20 ·
Looks really nice mate :thumbsup

#23 ·
thanks lads, glad someone likes it as well as me. As to the roundels, every one has been replaced already with carbons so they are black and silver now. Wheels are staying silver (its about the only way I will be able to find it at night).

#24 ·
i didn't say i didn't like it! all i said was at the glance it showed a slight resemblance to an mg! but on closer inspection i think the grill looks quite good, maybe it was more the lights that threw me!:hihi
Any way i am trying not to be such a vauxhall fan, as i have bought a beemer. and in time honoured tradition i have removed the indicator stalk:thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.