BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E46 Compact door catch fault

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Diablo944 
#1 ·
A common fault this apparently. I say this as the autolecky picked the part up from a main dealers this morning and was told the dealers do an average of 2 a week.

anyway, to the fault. The central locking wouldnt unlock the passenger door, nor would the internal central lock button. the only way to unlock the door was to manually pull the handle. It doesnt sound anywhere near as annoying as it actually is. Locking was ok, everything locked as it should do. It probably wouldnt be so bad if the passenger door had an exterior keylock, but it doesn't, so 'irritating' is the order of the day.

AE diagnosed the fault as being the door catch (comes as a full unit rather than just a motor, not very green huh?). Luckily, the compact door catch can be accessed and replaced without having to remove anything but the interior door panel. For those coupe owners out there, the window rail needs to be removed in order to get to the catch.

New catch cost 70 odd pounds plus vat, came to around 80 quid. New door seal/liner (between the interior panel and the door, actually bonded to the door) was fitted at another 15 quid. Plus the leckys hourly rate charge. all paid for under warranty.

Door now opens and closes properly from the fob. One thing he did tell me while he was working on the car. He gets called out to a lot of cars that develop problems of the central locking going tits up (especially on x5's) after they have had window tints fitted. Caused by lazy fitters bending the inner panel forward and bending the rod of the manual lock button. Easily fixed but a regular repair.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thats sarcasm isnt it. I wouldnt mind, but I did a search to see if I had mentioned it when it was first diagnosed and couldnt find it. still. the x5 info makes it a bit more worthwhile i spose. sorry guys. In my defence, it was only fixed today despite the time between finding the faulot and fixing it.

now, how do you blow rasberries on here (no inuendo required).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.