BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

e46 angel eye diy

4K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  senseslinga 
#1 ·
hi i have a 1999 e46 coupe and was wondering if any1 knew about a step by step diy thread for the lights as i want to keep factory standard in the car

thanks shaun

#8 ·
Yes they will as long as you buy the correct set. I just fitted some to my car today.
There is no nead to remove the lights from the car and it will take just over an hour to do. The first light took 45 minutes. But i had the second down to 15 once i had sussed it. Its pretty easy to be honest.

Here is a link to the set i put in my car. Mine is a non projector E46.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300439925327&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Quick guide.

1, Remove the colour coded panel bellow the light. (unclips, Start pulling it from the grill side and work your way out to the wing)
2, Remove the indicator (One phillips screw to be undone from the top then it just slides out)
3 Remove rubber gasket thing from top of the light glass. (just pulls off)
4, Unclip the plastic lugs that hold the lens to the light unit (all the way round the light) and pull it off pulling from the top down.
your light should be split now.
5, remove the black plastic seperator thing (again this just pulls out)

Now your at the lights you can fit your angel eyes. (no nead for me to explain as its obvious how they fit)
There is a rubber gasket at the back of the high beam (where you change your bulb), you need to put a small cut in this with a stanley to feed the wires through.
Thats it. Job done, re assemble in reverse and then go for a drive with your fancy new lights.

Be a bit carefull not to snap any clips while you do it. Once you have done the first the second will be easy.

Oh, and they look the muts nuts by the way. And no need to worry about light scattering as they sit infront of the reflectors and its impossible for the light to travel backwards and reflect off the mirrored surface.

#4 ·
If you buy the right kit I presume they will.

The problem with reflector lights over projector is the beam gets highly scattered, which may result in blinding other drivers and poor beam on the actual road.

http://www.maxautos.co.uk/ has a variety of kits, found this site online but haven't dealt with them personally yet. Have a dig around and see what they have for your motor.

#9 ·
If you buy the right kit I presume they will.

The problem with reflector lights over projector is the beam gets highly scattered, which may result in blinding other drivers and poor beam on the actual road.
http://www.maxautos.co.uk/ has a variety of kits, found this site online but haven't dealt with them personally yet. Have a dig around and see what they have for your motor.

HID kit YES. Angel eyes NO.
I think your getting mixed up there mate.

#11 ·
I got 6000k white.
Didnt want blue as im 32 not 18, If you look at the Ebay link they are identical in colour and brightness as the ones in the picture.
Bright enough to see in the day but not stupidly bright at night. (just checked). Overall i am very happy with them.
I was worried about the colour and brightness to be honest but i guess i got lucky as they are exactly what i wanted. And i have heard of some people having to get dimmers for theres and i really didnt want to go down that route.

#16 ·
Link to my DIY in my signature,

i did mine on a faclift, but it wouldnt be too much diffrent, other than your lights wont be sealed you can just pop them apart, and the indicator part of the light is seprate which i belive needs to be removed first
the indicator is held with a philps screw to the main light

#20 ·
Depends on the MOT'er and if they are able to set the beam up to acceptable levels. If they can't, good chance of failing, if they can, it'll probably pass. Legally speaking unless the conversion is done to the correct extent that it complies with the law with new cars setup with HIDs from factory you'll be ok. The plug and play ones are likely to be down to the MOT testers discretion based on how it works with your particular car/headlight etc.

If you've any concern, just pop em out and stick in the oem halogen bulbs for the mot then stick the HIDs back in afterwards. I have this worry too, although I intend to put it down to the MOT with the HIDs to see if they can set them up as best as poss, and if it fails, will stick the halogens in for the tick.

#24 ·
has anyone seen the write up for the ultimate DIY angel eye ? ? a rectangular shaped rod of see through acrylic ? , heated to shape ( circular ), your choice of coloured led inbetween the 2 ends, secure it , then score numerous (as many as you can) straight lines in the acrylic, fit them onto the glass of the headlight and bobs your uncle etc etc home made angels ! ... im gunna try it as soon as i remember to get the acrylic or clear see through rod :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.