Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    So here we are; the dreaded rust on rear e36 arches. And I know, this one (drivers side) is rather bad.

Someone long before i bought the car has repaired a dent in the back quarter panel, as can be seen from the pic the approach of filler/primer/paint/more filler(??)/primer/paint, the 'repair' hasnt lasted. I am thinking of getting someone cut out the really bad bit and weld in an arch repair panel (similar to http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E36-90-98-...3%3A1|294%3A50.)

However my main question is, is the long crack i have circled strucurally inportant? And does it look like it is a stage too far to have anything done to it?

Ive done a few sprays on cars, but im out my depth here, any help/advice greatly appreciated

Cheers
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    It can be repaired but it really does need extensive work, getting a arch repair panel is a good start and if you haven't done anything like this before then I'd suggest speaking to someone who has welded in panels like this before.

That's the worst I've seen a e36 before but seeing as your in Scotland it doesn't surprise me

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ronnie For This Useful Post:

Dmc (26-07-2009)

Dmc
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Dmc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Ok, so i was feeling brave a few weeks ago, and i started to tackle the arch myself. Nothing like jumping in at the deep end lol

Things i bought

a drill (for a tenner out if bnq, score)
    Abrasive stones set on posts (for using on the drill)
    Various sandpaper grades, lots of the stuff lol
    Aluminium mesh
    P38 filler
    Plastikote Zinc spray Primer
    Madieraschwarz spray from BMW (comes with lacquer)

All told about 50 quids worth. So i started to rub down the area back to bare metal. Thinking to myself, wont take long. Quite. Using sandpaper seemed to be a lost cause, so i started with the the set stone drill bits. After saveral hours of drilling, bare metal appeared, but only after id made a hole not too shy of being a foot long

Turned out a lot of the rear quarter panel was made of filler, with no reinforcement anywhere. By the time id drilled the filler out, the amount of white powder everywhere was unbeleiveable it was like it had been snowing lol. After getting the hoover out, i started working on the hole. I managed to get some mesh in the hole, and starded (slowly) building up layers of filler, sanding between layers, over several days, weather permitting. After the filler, rubbed it down properly, working up to 1200 grit paper. Then i primed it, rubbed down again, and sprayed it the proper colour. Still needs a coat of lacquer. You can see the results below.

I put a lot of effort and time into this, my car was looking a sad state for many weeks, but im still not happy with the result, i reckon i can get it a lot better in terms of a smooth finish.

One thing though, with it being sunny scotland, waiting for suitable weather for spraying (ie dry, non windy and warm) certainly tried my patience on more than one occasion, perfect weather one minute, by time get to door pi**ing it down Maybe not quite that dramatic, but may as well have been

Anyway just thought you might like to see what i did, the bumper is still a mess, but since i plan to rub it down again, im just leaving it for the now.

Any tips or comments wecome.

Dmc
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Dmc; 08-08-2009 at 17:40. Reason: Talking pish bout having applied lacquer when i havent lol