E36 BBS RC041 Split Rims - ok to refurb a second time?

Notices

Thread: E36 BBS RC041 Split Rims - ok to refurb a second time?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. E36 BBS RC041 Split Rims - ok to refurb a second time? 
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    ButtyBoy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 318ti Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    I'm after a set of these for my E36 Compact & I've found some for what seems like a bargain £175 (tyres on limit tho), only problem is they've been painted black (not powdercoated I don't think). they look like he's painted them himself, don't know what the guy was thinking - cheapening a classic set of rims if u ask me

I'll get em refurbed back to original finish, but wondering if there'll be any problems refurbing them twice? like too much wheel weight or anything?

Also will they be able to remove the bolts split the rims etc & restore them back to oem if they've been coated in black paint??

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    benstanley's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    loon

Thanks
    yes everything will just be sandblasted mate will strip everything then they will fill polish them etc

Will be costly though i'd imagine
    Quote Originally Posted by dailydoggy View Post
    ide throw up and sh+t myself at the same time i think...

BMW Master
    Car Details
    wilts's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    seems like a good price, get them and go down the powder coated route will last then rather doing cheaply.

To do list.
    1.Coilovers
    2.Leather seats-(Done)
    3.M3 front splitter
    4.Boot lip spoiler-(Done)
    5.M-tech steering wheel

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    ButtyBoy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 318ti Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    Thanks fellas. yeah defo would only get em powder coated.

how much would i be looking at for full refurb split the rims etc, dunno if it'd be cheaper to buy a set for 350 - 400 that only need the rim polished?

cheers for the input

BMW Master
    Car Details
    MrChristopha's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    ^ Depends on how good you want the refurb to be. For a top class 'as new' look you will need the rims splitting, and a new set of nuts and bolts all round. If you want genuine BBS items, they're not cheap.

I was quoted £700 all in for the job including new BBS nuts and bolts... and I'm still umming and arring about whether to go ahead with it in the spring. Would look fecking awesome

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Compact Beemer's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback

Thanks
    I've got a set on my Compact at the moment and they look shit hot... I have also been quoted roughly £300 for everything which I think is reasonable. On ebay they are also selling fully refurbished ones aswell which are mint

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Disco Stu's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 1,113 Posts
    If you're planning on polishing the rims don't get them shot blasted unless you reeeally have to! I bought some that had already been blasted and the effort needed to flat them down and polish them was huge and mindnumbingly boring. Use Nitromors to strip the old paint off.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    markmc8's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318TI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    compact
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
    If you're planning on polishing the rims don't get them shot blasted unless you reeeally have to! I bought some that had already been blasted and the effort needed to flat them down and polish them was huge and mindnumbingly boring. Use Nitromors to strip the old paint off.
    agree 100% dont do it if not needed as its a nightmare polishing them back up .... thats why mine are not finished lol
    bmw e36 compact
    now rolling on REMOTECS

BMW Master
    Car Details
    MrChristopha's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Compact Beemer View Post
    I've got a set on my Compact at the moment and they look shit hot... I have also been quoted roughly £300 for everything which I think is reasonable. On ebay they are also selling fully refurbished ones aswell which are mint
    The nuts and bolts alone will set you back over a ton. The labour involved in splitting, stripping, painting and re-building etc etc is pretty extensive. Every one I speak to about a refurb on these wheels says what a ******* they are to do.

Don't get me wrong - you can get them done for peanuts. But unless you're on mates rates, £300 is way short of the mark for 'everything'

If you want more info, drop a PM to steve23002 - I know he had his done to a really nice standard last year and paid around £700

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    323itouring's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i Sport Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    The problem with these wheels is the polished lip which would orginally have been clear coated. Now you could strip the wheels down and rub the lip down with various grades or wet and dry until you get down to around 1500 grit. I've done this ont some BBS RS and then paid £20 per rim for a local metal polisher to mirror polish the rim.
    Of course if you do that it's then left exposed and will quickly start to look tatty if you use the wheels all year and done spend hours cleaning them every week. Trying to clear coat them is tricky and I've not seen anyone do it so far that will last.

You could look at using a chrome effect powder coat for the rim to give a polished look and this should be much more suitable for all year use without the constant cleaning.
    There is also some wet paints which give a similar finish, see here http://www.wheelpaints.co.uk/categor..._Silvers_1.htm
    A problem with painting or powder coating the rim lip is avoiding getting any into the spline bolt holes.

The center part of the wheel can be bead blasted and powder coated cheaply if you wish or wet painted. The hex center cap has a plastic screw on an aluminium. Powder coating is not really an option unless you seperate the plastic part as most powder coaters will fear it melting in the oven when curing. You could wet paint then to match the wheel lip in a chrome effect as in the link above to match.

Bolts are a real pain in the bum and expensive to buy. See here for new replacements
    http://www.titanium-touch.de/shop/pr...eichenrad.html

I've seen a few people use A4 grade stainless buttonhead bolts and A4 flange nuts to replace there at around £35. You have the look into if you think specing a different bolt is safe or not though.

When rebuilding these, the standard rim bolts are spline bolts which you have to hammer in. You need to be careful when doing this as you can crack any paint/powder coat on the rim lip and as you torque them down.
    I've seen people leave the bolts in and have the wheel bead blasted and then painted with the bolts in place which does mean the bolt head gets a refurb and repaint saving quite a bit of money and doesn't mean masking problems or risking cracking the paint when reinserting the spline bolts.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 323itouring For This Useful Post:

ButtyBoy (03-02-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast