BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

e36 318is - carbon bonnet-opinions people ?

10K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  wilsonio 
#1 ·
hi people , ok ive done a fair bit to my car now and have just found a source locally for some top grade carbon fibre vinyl -im definitely going to cover my chrome door handles in as im thinking they look a bit too much now on reflection (no offence to anyone that has em everyone to their own !) but am thinking of covering the raised part of my bonnet in the stuff too (only prob being would be obviously shaping it into the roundel but it is the stuff you can heat up and will stretch ) -whats everyone reckon too much or good idea ? car is slightly different now as i have sprayed the front and back splitter up gloss black - any opinions appreciated -scott

#4 ·
k k apreciate replys lads -stk thats a bit harsh ! pmsl i know what your saying though -and agree with the wideboy kit stevieboy ,too much and boyracerish-like , the pic has give me an idea how would look though and im liking ! if ewt i think mine might look better done with my headlights and indicators being white (sorry first thing to go any beemer for me is the orange indicators!!)

#5 ·
Have you seen any carbon in Halfords?!
Do it full bonnet as its gonna look like proper bonnet. If you would do only part of it everyone will say it's just vinyl.
I've just done bonnet, roof and boot on X5 and you know what - it looks absolutely fantastic.

#7 ·
Dude...let me go to the local halfords and get a pic of the BMW they have there...:frown I feel sorry far that BM and feel that torching it would be a humane way of putting it down...aaaarrrrgggghhhh the shame...It must feel so embarrassed to be out in public...:frown

#10 ·
ok ! michael 14789 cheers buddy and yep point taken and yours looks mint -have you no piccys of the beast done close up though ?(roundels on and all i mean ) -and get this piccy on here of this halfords mobile my man ! i dont think i fancy driving mine and people classing mine as one ! pmsl -dont forget lads id be doing mine myself also and i aint cack-handed but at the same time aint a pro !

#13 ·
id of carboned my bonnet until i saw black and white taxis in my local town (white cars black bonnets ) and thought better of it but i would do the roof and id like to have put cf csl style vents in the bonnet instead

#14 ·
Some of the bm what I've done lately

#17 ·
Do you mean the last picture sam - thats not x5 its 318 - I need to dig out picture of the x5 roof

#19 ·
feck me your a bit handy on the old photoshop aint you pistenbroke ! lol yeah thanks alot man that does help ! if ewt to be fair i think itll look better than that done as the stuff im getting is much blacker -went to pick the stuff up 2day and they had it there cut ready from me only prob was it was ******* silver carbon !!! lol -fecks sake in the ad obviously it was black so i didnt get the misunderstanding ?! -gutting as well as they did have some black on another roll on the floor but wouldnt sell me that as someone had already payed for via paypal !! grrr - bloody good quality stuff though (is sorta 3d you can see the weave in it ) i have to say and minds made up its deffo getting done -their getting some more in next week so ill be back ! cheap as chips too enough for the bonnet theyll let go for £25 ,think they must have nicked it ! pmsl

#20 ·
£25 !!!!!!!
I bet it's been nicked.

#23 ·
I'd say go for it mate, its your car and if you don't like it you can always remove it. I did my grills last weekend in 3M Di-Noc and I'm quite please with the results. But IMO don't do half a job, if you're going to do it remove you badge and grills etc. don't cut round them it'll look naff. As seen in the other posts, that X5 was stripped of components, properly wrapped round the edges and sealed in....just looks cleaner when its all back together.:thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.