BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

e36 1996 m sport steering wheel problems, no horn or airbag

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Foxy328 
#1 ·
i currently own a black 1996 bmw 318ise 4 door saloon pretty much standard all round, it currently has an m sport steering wheel on it but the airbag and horn are non functional, it is due for it's MOT in 4 days time and i can not for the life of me find a replacement steering wheel, for under £100. can anyone help me find out if there is an adaptor for my current steering wheel so that i can get at least the horn working.

#4 ·
I'm assuming you have the later M wheel with the humungous airbag? In which case, yep, it's more than likely the slip ring.

Unless someone has replaced the standard airbag wheel with the older M one, of course, which looks a bit bulbous in the middle but has no airbag, and no slip ring, so the horn doesn't work without a couple of mods and the SRS light will obviously be on.

In the worst case scenario where you can't sort out a new wheel or slip ring before the MOT, just wire the horn to a switch temporarily - the MOT tester will have no problem with this, just as long as you tell him first.

Airbags aren't tested on the MOT, so you can have a big red flashing light of doom on the dash and you'll still pass. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.