Detailing questing - What is cutting?

Notices

Thread: Detailing questing - What is cutting?

Reply to Thread
  1. Detailing questing - What is cutting? 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Bazza's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    7351 (E65)
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    Salon
    Thanks
    Please forgive the very basic question but i am new to the detailing process.

I have read many guides and am soon off to buy a rotary polisher. My question is about applying the polish. I think this is referred to as "cutting" please explain what that is? Can you also advise what pad I need for the cutting? I assume this is replaced when I need to take the polish off. Is there a third phase for buffing?

Am I right to think that Polishing and waxing are two very different things?

I am a little stumped by the vast array of products - I have a metallic black 7 series and want to get a mirrored shine look. I was going to opt for Meguires products.

Thugts and suggestions are appreciated.

Again - apologies for the very simple questions.

Bazza
    Cry Havoc and slip the 3.6 v8!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

ron
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    ron's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e36 328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    half touring half pickup?

Thanks
    have you not had a read through this?
    http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...-handbook-t68/
    BFUK full time clown.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Gleammachine's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Hi Bazza,

Firstly and please don't take this as a negative comment or scaremongery, I would not recommend going straight to your paintwork with a rotary for the first time without at least practising on a few scrap panels to familiarise yourself with techniques and breaking down of the polish. This is not to say that you shouldn't buy a rotary but consider it is a very powerful tool that if not used correctly can easily burn through the paint or clearcoat, this then requires a respray.
    Most that are new to machine polishing start with a less powerful tool like a dual action orbital, this uses a similar technique but is far more forgiviving, spins on a random orbit as opposed to directly on the same spot as a rotary.
    The same results can normally be achieved using the DA but requires a little more time, the reason most pro's opt for the rotary.

Depending on the level of defects, the best approach is to start with the least aggressive combination of pad and polish, then work up accordingly depending on the outcome.
    A cutting polish has micro abrasives in it which under heat generated and time break down to remove defects, this is normally followed by a finishing polish which also has a blend of finer abrasives and polishing oils to add clarity and depth, also to remove the marring to the finish that the cutting compound has left.
    A typical work area of 2ft x 2ft is polished at any one time, this roughly takes 2 mins or so of working the polish down, most will go translucent when worked to the required time.
    Removal of the polish is done by hand using a microfibre cloth, polish acts like a moisturiser would to the skin and offers no protection, a wax forms a protective barrier on top of the surface but offers no corrective abilities.

Below are a couple of links to products and polishers I would recommend as a start of point.
    Also many detailers offer machine polishing tuition if you would like I can possibly direct you towards someone in your area, what can be learnt will be invaluable in the long term.

A very good beginners kit- http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalo...irs_kit_1.html

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gleammachine For This Useful Post:

G4EDW (25-02-2009),steve23002 (25-02-2009),xXNealXx (25-02-2009)

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    G4EDW's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Not wishing to jack the thread but just wanted to say to Gleammachine that i have picked up loads of brilliant tips from reading your posts, they are always really informative and when put into practice always comes out spot on!!!! (Same to Race Valeting to) My car is looking all the better for it so cheers gents!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to G4EDW For This Useful Post:

Gleammachine (26-02-2009)