318iSE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Hi guys,

was looking into all this detailing business and realy like the look of some people cars (may i add especially impressed by 'Gleammachines' e39 touring in the projects thread)

Wanted to ask for some advice, i'm planning on buying a machine to carry out the detailing. And i know they are expensive but came across this one and was wondering isit any good?

Doesn't sound bad as I don't detail my car for a living and surely it would only need detailing a couple of times a year?

heres the link any advice would be great (also of any products such as compounds or polish to use along side, already know about using claybars)

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Thanks Raj
    So Many People Want The Badge... But No-One Knows What It Stands For...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    gaza01's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertible
    Thanks
    Like you I was in the same position and did lots of reading on various sites on what seemed to be a mind field of info. When it came down to it it was piss easy to do really.

Firstly the stigma associated with rotary polishers I really don't understand. You'd have to be a complete numpty to burn through your paint with it. I mean who in their right mind would hold the thing over one spot?

I bought that same rotary polisher and my only complaints about it is that it's LOUD and the handle could do with a bit of a refresh for the ergonomics!! Other than that it does the job.

Picking the products, I'd say for a beginner you'd be impressed with whichever of the leading brands you choose. I went with the menzerna products. Can't remember the exact names but one was a compound with 2500 written on the label and the other was a finishing polish with 4000 written on the label. The numbers are the grit sizes.

Pads I used the chemical guys orange pads with the compound which worked brilliantly and quickly and then the chemical guys black pad with the finishing polish. I did this on my misses black e46 and I'd say I got out all the swirl marks.

Methodology I used was fairly simple as I read up on. Slow to start off with 900rpms. (should be 600rpm but the rotary doesn't go that slowly). Anyway this is to work the polish in and start breaking it down. Then up to say 1200 then 1500 then 1200 then 900 and then your done. Moving the pad over the paint at about an inch a second. and trying to give each area 2 passes at each speed. Buff of with a nice microfibre, step back and admire your hard work because trust me...it is HARD work!!!

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    mark@vorny.co.uk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    911 C2S
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,738 Times in 2,697 Posts
    I would take a visit along the A50 to Mark at Autobrite in Stoke (Fenton). He can advise you as to technique, products, etc.
    I was not brave enough to start with a Rotary, so bought a DA which was a great introduction, you can't go wrong, even my 14 year old has used it. However, preperation is key, otherwise the expression of you can't polish a turd is never more apt.
    I have since bought a FLEX Rotary, however, I had it for Christmas and haven't yet had a chance to use it away from Autobrite. Lively little thing, it seems to be all about being careful .
    I have kept the DA as it will be useful on bumpers, etc.....
    2013, Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, PDK, Sports Exhaust, Chrono, etc, etc

*removed

BFUK weekday crew

PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    TAM 11M's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    740i E38
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    im actually doing some searching in the same department..

there are the rotary and the dual action, so which one is better for detailing? im not asking for easier etc, which one gives the best results?

there is the fear with rotary but really if your doing all this hard work its a bit dumb to leave it in one place, also cant you control the speed on them too?

im looking at eurocarparts, the meg da polisher is £160.. which sounds good to me, but all the other stuff is like half the price, anyone got any other polisher they would recomment?

what about these?
    Kestrel DAS6 DA Polisher with 2 Meguiars Pads - Offer! | eBay
    DAS6 500 watt Dual Action Electric Machine Car Polisher **fits meguiars pads** | eBay
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverstor...item2310d5285e

thanks

BMW Master
    Car Details
    TAM 11M's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    740i E38
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    double post.. sorry
    Last edited by TAM 11M; 24-01-2012 at 21:30. Reason: double post

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    mark@vorny.co.uk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    911 C2S
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,738 Times in 2,697 Posts
    I had a Kestrel DA and found it to be good. Same as the Megs DA but half the price

Better results with the Rotary, have a look/chat with Autobrite, Mark was flogging an ex display FLEX at a good price recently
    2013, Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, PDK, Sports Exhaust, Chrono, etc, etc

*removed

BFUK weekday crew

PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    julio2906's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D SE Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    I've got the Megs DA and its superb and made for the job,it's not the cheapest but like most thing,you get what you pay for.
    With power comes responsibility

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    adam.wilkinson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ise
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Rotary has a much better cut. DA is safe, however can take longer to work heavy imperfections out of BMWs hard paint.

That's the reason DA is generally used by beginners.

The chepo on the bay will be fine, with a light polish to start. Something like poor boys SSR-2. SSR-2.5 offers more cut for deeper scratches / swirls etc.

If it's any help, I started with a rotary and started on the flat pannels such as the boot etc.

Have a look on detailing world for some great how-to's etc
    If it aint broke, don't fix it!!!

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    jrfty's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TAM 11M View Post
    im looking at eurocarparts, the meg da polisher is £160.. which sounds good to me, but all the other stuff is like half the price, anyone got any other polisher they would recomment?
    This!
    DAS-6 PRO Dual Action Polisher - Menzerna Intro. Kit - Clean Your Car

I have it. I've given my car a once over with it last summer and it was very easy to use. I was happy with the results.

Powerful, yet safe. TBH, unless your paint is in awful condition, you won't need any heavy cutting pads or harsh polishes. The two step kit above will be more than sufficient.

Johann
    Eibach Sportline springs, Powerflex bushes, 8.5/9.5 19" Matt black VMR V710s 235/265, Carbon fibre badges, 35% tint all around, black front grille, lamin-x tint film on front and rear lights, 55W 7.5k HIDs, Orion V2 halo LED angel eyes, smoked side markers, keyhole delete, K&N panel filter, private plate, bwchiptune ecu remap.