BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Detailing clay

912 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  paul85 
#1 ·
Hi there

Just been reading back through the various posts on detailing and makes what I thought looked a good effort appear dismal. Even worse not long ago I bought a stock of Autoglym stuff that was on offer at a wholesalers as I thought it was good stuff.

Any way if I am going to go that extra mile can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the various makes of detailing clay after having a look on the bay and how do you know which grade to use eg medium or fine etc

Thanks for your help

Merv

#4 ·
Cheers for that Martyn, printed the detailing book off this morning to have a look through later tonight as I better get on and do some work today. It has a few scrathes on it, which I didnt spot when I was buying it but hopefully some tlc and elbow grease will shine it up.

Thanks again.

Merv

#5 ·
The clay will remove any bonded contaminents from the surface, this will need to be followed up with a paint cleanser, AG SRP will cleanse the paint and also fill some of the lighter defects.

Most clay manufacturers offer the same type of clay, the only difference is normally the colour, avoid any aggressive clays as they will mark the surface and require machine polishing to remove the marring.
The Meguiars clay is very good and also mild, something I use on a daily basis and a nice introduction to claying.:thumbsup

#6 ·
Cheers for that Gleanmachine

Will get some cleaning bits ordered. Also to pick your brains a little further if I may. Just reading through the detailing guide from the forum and see that they recommend using a machine polisher after claying. Can you get away with good old elbow grease or is it best to get a machine for the job particularly if there are scratches and if so what is a decent make for low cost as it is not something that will get done every week.

Many thanks

Merv

#7 ·
i've never really used anything like this clay(meguires) i always was a bit of a bucket sponge and colour magic sort of person but my mate used it on his golf and i was really impressed ive since done my car and think the result is fantastic would say its one of them jobs that the longer you take the better the result

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.