BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Detailed a 1-Series M-Sport

Tags
1series
2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  JimWD 
#1 ·
BMW 1-Series M-Sport

Hi all. A bit of travelling involved in this one – I’d agreed to stay with family friends for a couple of nights to help spruce their vehicles. A BMW 1-Series and a Merc SL600 AMG.. Cutting a long story short, the BM took a lot longer than expected and left little time to start on the Merc. ~10 hours went into the 1-Series, 8 on the first day, and, 2 hours in the morning of the second day. The rest of this day was spent on Interiors; a Range Rover Vogue TDV8, and, a JEEP Cherokee (the estate's ‘work horse’).

I didn't enjoy this one - one of them days maybe? The owner was very pleased, but, after x-amounts of unexpected events, (wind/cold/rain and the dogs that kept running off with my kit!!), I didn't get on well at all.

Product

• 303 Aerospace Protectant
• AutoGlym Vinyl Rubber Care
• AutoSmart G101
• AutoSmart Tardis
• AutoSmart Silver Screen
• Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel
• Chemical Guys JetSEAL109
• Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild
• Dodo Juice Limeprime
• Jeffs Werkstat Acrylic PRIME
• Meguiars All-Purpose Cleaner (APC)
• Meguiars Last Touch
• Meguiars Wheel Brightener
• Meguiars Super-Degreaser
• Sonus Green clay
• Victoria Red Concours wax

I was lucky to even make it in the first place – I drove passed the entrance and ended up on a rather rutted, rooked and bumpy decent. Silly really, “no SL600 AMG is going to live down here!!” Once at the bottom and with enough room to spin round, I make the phone-call and spoke to Andy (owner). He couldn’t believe I’d make it down there, and, “would be very surprised if I made it back up!” heh! All I have to say is, HAIL THE MIGHTY QUATTRO. A fun start to the day, lets put it that way.

Before I started on the BM:

After I’d packed up:

Lovely!

So, day 1, inspection photos:

Now at this point, let me introduce you to the dogs.

Sky and Kite, Alaskan Malamute’s. Lovely, lovely dogs.

First job were the sills and shuts (usually wheels, but, these would be coming off a little later so made haste elsewhere..)

Foam delivered and lots of additional APC/cleaning was done on the window rubbers, petrol filler housing, crevices and ‘crack’s.

Vehicle re-foamed for an ultra-slick wash, and, washed with Dodo Juice BTBM and a Meguiars Lambswool Washmit.

Sonus Green picking up the usual surface contaminants:

Now, Andy + friend came to help jack the car up and remove the wheels... At the same time, I was asked to clean and protect the Merc’s winter wheels.

I didn’t grab too many photos at this stage – time was pushing already and I knew this wasn’t going to be a quick job.

Inners soaked with Meguiars Wheel Brightener > agitated. AutoSmart Tardis used where applicable to remove small tar deposits. Tyres scrubbed with Megs Super-degreaser and finally protected with JetSEAL109.

Arches were wetted, soaked with APC, scrubbed and pressure washed. Later dressed with AutoGlym’s Vinyl Rubber Care.

With this out the way, the wheels went back on the 1-Series, and I finished off the winter wheels for the Merc.

I made the mistake of not having the wheels off in the first place. I now had to re-foam and wash the car to make sure all debris and dirt was clear.

It’s roughly 3pm now. Not made good progress at all..

The Kestral Rotary was fired up, and, a 3M yellow polishing pad was primed with Dodo Limeprime.

General before..

And after..

50/50’s

Considering the ‘hardness’ of the BM paint, I was happy with the results. I guestimate that 60% correction was made.. Not bad for Limeprime on German paint.

There were some random deeper marks/scratches dotted around unfortunately – I did my best to spot correct with a Sonus spot-pad and Menzerna IP 3.02.

Before:

After:

The temperature’s dropped and I’m still having water dropped from the wing-mirror housing and petrol filler caps – very annoying.

I glazed the car with a blue 3M finishing pad and ClearKote Red Moose Glaze to try and a little more depth.

At this point it’s getting dark – I’m a long way behind and it’s been a strange day… Building work had stopped in the near-by barn, so, I shifted the kit and moved the car in until 7:30 when dinner was served.

My plan for in here was to get the interior done and out of the way – leave the LSP until the morning and follow that with dressings, engine bay etc.

Nasty(!) bird etching spotted under the strip lighting:

End of day 1..

Breakfast and gear up, I was back to the car for 8am. A fine layer of dust had settled on the car, this means another quick wash was in order!

Engine dressed with AG VRC:

Victoria Concours wax applied.

Windows polished.

Tyres dressed

Exterior plastic dressed with 303 Aerospace Protectant.

A few final afters (before the rain)

Packed up and started the small work on the Vogue interior (using LTT’s Auto Ultra Foam & Protect) and likewise, with the JEEP.

JEEP

50/50 (more like 80/20) on the arm-rest:

DONE. Two fresh dates are needed for the Merc, but, watch this space; sooner, rather than later!

Quite a confusing read.. but, thanks for bearing with me.

Jim.

See less See more
#6 ·
:thumbsupthat looks really good .what du use on the hinges /door shuts and stuff ?apc and just rinse it off ?i cant get mine looking like that:sarcastic(and when i try to rinse them i get water everywhere .do u use a pressure washer/hose /watering can?:thumbsup

#7 ·
Thank you all.

Jim55, yep - an APC to clean, and, often I'll cleanse them once dry with something like Jeffs Werkstat Acrylic Prime or Autoglym SRP (cleans the watermarks up and offers a little protection)

RE rinsing.. it depends. Door shuts, I gladly use a pressure washer. A nice tip is to start the flow just above the door, and then lower the lance at an angle to the area you're wanting to flush. Hardly any splashback at all.. (just have a mf at the ready incase though)

But the boot shuts, I tend to use an open-hose and flow the suds out..

Even then I get a bit splashed all over the place:

hehe.. I went a little heavy here I think.

#8 ·
ach thats nothing ,you should have seen me at the weekend .i got a diff car and it badly needed a good wash ,as well as the rest the shuts were disgusting -leaves /bits of twigs!!green algae /moss the lot .i used a engine cleaner/degreaser i had in the hut agitated with an old paint brush,and rinsed (well tried )off.when i was doing the boot rubber using the hose with the pressure down (not enough though as i soon found out ) .you know the rubber right below the rear screen,well i tried every way to try and avoid a soaking but it was going everywhere ,and i tried letting the water run down the screen itself and flowing down the channel and rinsing the rubber in the process.the water flowed down the glass OVER the rubber and straight into the boot !!i was lucky i had the carpet out to clean it ,so it was fairly easy to dry/soak it up.but still ,what a plonker !!:hihi lesson learned though :frown

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.