more pics from today - now I'm back on my computer and not typing from the iPhone! LOL!...
PARTS AFTER PREP AND PRIMER:
GROUND V FIRST COAT OF COLOUR:
2 COATS OF COLOUR (Pretty hard to pic up the metallic fleck/lustre on my iPhone camera! - but it does look better in real life!):
I'll let it dry overnight and the plan for tomorrow is:
(1) flatten back any high spots/imperfections and then give them their final coat of colour
(2) paint mirror bases (acid etch primer / ground coat / colour x 2 / lacquer x 2)
(3) paint satin black gill inlay
(4) lacquer gills and mirrors
(5) finish off with rubbing compound
With any luck I might have these finished and fitted by Sunday night!
Are you a painter etc ?
Here's a picture of my stock Z3 mirrors just now - notice how the aluminium has corroded/oxidised - it's a very common issue with Z3's (and will happen sooner or later) - this was the main reason for changing to the Z3 ///M items - that and they look a LOT better!
I could have repaired and resprayed the stock Z3 mirrors fairly easily - but the Z3 ///M mirrors came up at a price I couldn't resist!
looks a good job that. eager to see the before and after pics!
Thought I'd update the thread on progress or lack of progress today!!
Had another look over the mirrors today (with fresh eyes) and I wasn't 100% happy with either of them (although to be fair, I was probably nit picking! LOL!) so I've decided I'm going to redo the mirror caps on both - the slight problem I have is that I've now run out of Montreal Blue paint that came in the kit!.. I bought some new cans from Halfords - but I'm not holding out too much hope for a decent colour match (I've heard mixed reviews and they can be a bit hit or miss!) - although they have a review for Montreal Blue on their website which seems vaguely promising!
Anyway - today I managed to finish off the side gills (although I might redo the inlay tomorrow to make it matt/satin - I wasn't sure if it was mean to be properly matt/satin or if it should have a slight shine to it? ).. so I lacquered it when I was going over the rest of the gill and the more I look at it now... the more I think I should have masked it off!! - oh well.. quick job for tomorrow and then I can get them finished off with rubbing compound and get them fitted) - the first 2 pics below were pre-lacquer:
Given both mirror caps now need rubbed back and re-done, I figured that for today (so it wasn't a complete waste) - that I'd mask the mirror caps off and make a start on the mirror bases.
At present they've just been primed with acid etch primer and flattened back:
The plan for tomorrow now is to finish off the mirror bases and to then finish off the gill inlay and go over the gills with some rubbing compound and then get them fitted!!
I'll take the mirror caps right back at some point during the week and then respray them next weekend - maybe it was a bit too ambitious trying to fit it all in this weekend... still, I'd rather take my time and get it done right and make sure I'm happy with it as it would bug me if I had just fitted them knowing I had a few niggles with them!!
|« Previous Thread | Next Thread »|