Model of Car:
    330D M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    This detailing session on my car brought along with it some new experiences. The first is that I decided to step up my game and enter in the world of machine polishing.

Like a lot of you out there, I am also curious about the vast range of detailing products out there. After looking around DetailingWorld forum and the web, I became intrigued with the products based on nano technology

I last detailed my car about 3months ago. For this detailing session, I wanted something with excellent durability to see me through winter and into next year. For this reason I chose Nanolex Premium Sealant, which is stated to last 12-18months.

I spent few days umming and arring over whether I should buy the Nanolex Premium Glass sealant too. This bonds to glass and allows beading of water. Behaves similar to products like RainX, expect one application last a lot longer. On the rear window it will last for over 2years from one application. The windscreen is less for obvious reasons, but should be able to get about 9months+. I will will be applying a couple of layers just before winter kicks in too. I hear it makes the removal of ice from windscreen a lot easier.

My plan was to take plenty of photos, but can be bit of pain trying to take shots in middle of detailing.

Wash

Washing up liquid to remove remains of previous wax
    Lambswool mitt
    Two bucket method
    Chemical Guys Orange degreaser – fuel filler, insides doors and sides of boot
    Autobrite Wheel gel

Car was then rinsed followed by use of Bilt Hamber clay. The car was only clayed 3 months ago, so not much contaminents.

Quickly washed and rinsed then dried with Autobrite fluffy towel

Polishing

Kestrel DAS6
    Chemical Guys Hex Logic pads
    Menz 3.02, 106 and 85RD

Car was taped up. I foiund this soooooo tedious, but suppose it has to be done.
    I also wasn’t too impressed with the amount of light where I was, but I didn’t really have a choice. I’ll rectify this for next time ☺

Started off with boot lid. Quite a few defects on there

At first I tried using White pad with Menz 3.02, but this had no real effect. I then stepped it up to green spot pad, this seemed to do the trick. This didn’t remove all the deeper defects, but I was happy enough with the result.

Right corner of bumper

Before

After

For the rest of polishing, I did as much correction I had in the time I had. This was followed by finishing whole car using black hex pad and Menz 85RD
    All this took me 9hours and I was absolutely shattered, so retired for the night.
    Overall I think I achied about 50-60% correction. I would have liked to have done more, but I just didn’t have the time.

Exterior

Woke up bright and early following day to finish off. Even though car parked under building, I gave it a quick wash, rinse and dry.

Another nano technology brand which caught my eye recently was Gtechniq, so as I already had a paint/glass sealant to use, I decided to try out their exterior trim product C4.

I started with the rear diffuser. I wiped down using IPA solution and MF Cloth to get rid of an previous product. I then applied to left half of rear diffuser. As soon as it was applied, I then used another MF cloth to remove excess product.

If you compare the left side, you can see the difference. I like the C4 product because it doesn’t add gloss to trim, just freshens it up. The durability is about 2 years, which is great!

I then set about following same process for the black shadowline trim

Before

After

Before

After

Next for the Nanolex Paint Sealant kit. First the Paint cleaner was applied to bodywork panels. I clean a panel or two at a time then followed by applying the Premium sealant

A small amount of sealant goes a long way. Apply a blob to cotton pad and apply in circular motions to panels. Thin layers.

After few minutes, this turns to a light haze.

After about 25mins, I set about removing using a cloth. I found it fairly easy to remove as long as I’d applied it thinly. In some areas I knew I had applied bit to thick and these areas where slightly harder to buff off. Certainly not ridiculously hard though, but these bits did require bit more elbow grease.

Below you can see I have applied the sealant to bonnet and door and have just buffed off the front wing.

I then applied the Nanolex Premium Glass to all windows. Once again this came in a kit. Apply the cleaner solutions, followed by the sealant. Leave until starts to haze then buff off. You need to leave glass about 2hours to fully cure, then buff off any remaining haze.

Wheels were dried and dressed with Zaino CS. Tyres dressed in Valet Pro Protectant diluted for soft sheen

Exhaust polished with autosol.

Zaino CS applied to door shuts.

Final pics……….

Thanks for looking

Emaps remapped

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dizzle77 For This Useful Post:

mark@vorny.co.uk (16-08-2010)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Legendary BFuk Member +1
    Car Details
    gap141070's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    superb mate..well done...takes a lot off patience and know how too get results like that

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gap141070 For This Useful Post:

Dizzle77 (18-08-2010)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Joe9087's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320ci M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,701 Times in 2,156 Posts
    Awesome work mate, car's looking stunning

I've moved this to Bodywork, Detailing and Styling section.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe9087 For This Useful Post:

Dizzle77 (18-08-2010)

8. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    ThE.gRiZzLe's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Very nice results mate, I know first hand how much of a bugger darker colours are to correct so well done, bet your well chuffed

Ahmet

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ThE.gRiZzLe For This Useful Post:

Dizzle77 (18-08-2010)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    530-i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    awesum!! come do mine :P

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 530-i For This Useful Post:

Dizzle77 (18-08-2010)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Dizzle77's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330D M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    ChEers!!

I knew it would be hard going with the polisher, but didnt think it would be that hard

I was limited by time, so couldnt get full correction. I got majority of swirls out and a lot of defects. Certainly not perfect, but i'll give it another go next year. Really need a whole weekend for polishing alone. Beemers have hard paint, so really need to put in some elbow grease and maybe go over some areas several times.

Enjoyed the experience even though it was hard work

I do recommended trying these nano based products though. I'll report back with the durability findings if anyones interested

Emaps remapped

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    mark@vorny.co.uk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    911 C2S
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,738 Times in 2,697 Posts
    Nice on Dizzle
    2013, Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, PDK, Sports Exhaust, Chrono, etc, etc

*removed

BFUK weekday crew

PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mark@vorny.co.uk For This Useful Post:

Dizzle77 (18-08-2010)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    mistikempire's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    335D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    guys i currently have a da-6 polisher with the blue 3m pad along with menzerna polish, however it isnt doing anything, not taking out the squirls, is the blue pad which im using no good, or is their something better>

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Dizzle77's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330D M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mistikempire View Post
    guys i currently have a da-6 polisher with the blue 3m pad along with menzerna polish, however it isnt doing anything, not taking out the squirls, is the blue pad which im using no good, or is their something better>
    The Blue 3M pad is a finishing pad. Would be extremely difficult to remove swirls and defects with this. Coupled with the fact that BMW paint is reknowned for being hard, you’ll need a pad with a bit of cut and an abrasive polish

You should try the Menz 3.02 with the 3M Yellow pad.
    If this doesn’t help, then you could step up to the green 3M compounding pad with either Menz 3.02 or step up to the Menz S100 for even more abrasiveness.
    Remember that using the smaller 4” spot pads are also slightly better at removing defects as they tend to generate more heat than larger 5-6” pads.

When using either of the above polishes though, you really need to follow up with a finishing polish. For this the 3M blue pad with Menz 85RD or 3M Ultrafina would suffice for that extra gloss.

Emaps remapped

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Autobrite-Direct's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    335d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Nice on Dizzle! Saw this on DW. A great finish there mate!! Top work

Regards Mark

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Autobrite-Direct For This Useful Post:

Dizzle77 (18-08-2010)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast