BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Bmw e36 1999 coupe rear drivers side problems

2K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  robs e36 
G
#1 ·
the last few weeks now iv been noticing some issues with the rear of my car on the drivers side, iv noticed its dropped abit... theres less of a gap between my tire and wheel arch than there is on the passengers side and when ever i go over the slightest bump theres a banging noise sounds like something isnt bolted down like my parcel shelf is banging on the metal frame under it, but its not the parcel shelf because my mates held it down when i was driving along and it still happened, has anyone come across this with there E36 coupe? any help will be helpful :D

G
#8 ·
All E36s do lean to one side. But it's not to the driver's side. It's to the passenger side.
BMW did this so it can offset the driver's weight when someone's in the driver's seat.

Mines leaning on the drivers side rear wheel, well not leaning on the wheel itself but thats where its leaning where the rear drivers wheel is

#10 · (Edited)
Easy answer, if your car has split rear seats ignore everyone saying go in through the boot it is way harder than is necessary to reach the top mounts.

Open the boot, pull out the boot carpet covering the spare wheel and put it safe and close the boot.

Then get inside the car, lower both back seats, pull out the seat "side bit" on the side concerned and you can them fold back enough to easily get at the rear top mounts (after pulling out a couple of clips).

FYI:

• Springs set ride height not shocks*
  • The top mounts have big metal washers on so they can's push through, just rattle when destroyed, unless the shocker shaft has pushes through the metal washer then is will be oscillating over bumps and you would feel it.
  • Pig tails breaking off springs is common.

*The slight exception to this is the force of gas pressure shocks trying to extend does give a little lift

#12 ·
It's a method my mate that's had about 11 or 12 E36 M3 on the bounce showed me. Saves a lot of hassle

G
#13 ·
done this and everythings fine, went for a drive again turned my music off and picked my mate up. I then realised it only happens when i go over speed bumps or pot holes so got my mate to sit in the back and to tell me if the suspension was working on both the passenger and driver sides and he said it was so went back to his and was thinking then we thought what about the rear bumper because iv put the m3 rear bumper on it myself so me and my mate popped back out to my car got hold of the rear splitter (the black plastic bit thats the same level as my exhaust) and gave it a tug and the noise happened again. So thursday when i get paid im popping into bmw and getting some more push in clips. when iv got them im taking the splitter off and checking the rear bumper is still on tightly or if its worked itself abit loose over the last month or so then putting some push clips in all the holes because at the moment iv only got about 3 push clips in the rear splitter once iv tightened the rear bumper and put the new push clips i will take it for a spin and hopefully that will have sorted it. If it hasnt i will then get under the car and check the exhaust is not hitting on anything

G
#14 ·
Im gonna sound thick for asking this i know but im still learning so please bare with me, Iv got an m3 front bumper as u can see by my pic. Im looking at getting a front splitter for it because it doesnt have one at the mo. How are the front splitters put onto the front bumper? Is it the same as the rear and its held on with push clips? If it is do you know how many please so i can get these thursday when i get some for the rear saves keep going in there and getting more lol or are they held on my nut and blot?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.