Bmw e36 1999 coupe locking system

Notices

Thread: Bmw e36 1999 coupe locking system

Reply to Thread
  1. Bmw e36 1999 coupe locking system 
    robs e36
    Hi just a quick question thats been bugging me for about a year now well since iv owned my car, When i brought it i got 2 keys 1 all black and the other had a black case, blue and white bmw logo and a clear strip under the logo. I always use the key with the coloured bmw logo. Iv never been able to lock or unlock my boot with either key is this normal or has something gone wrong? I can lock and unlock my car by the passengers door but i can only lock it by the drivers door i cant unlock the car at the drivers door. Both doors used to lock and unlock but for the last id say 4 months now the drivers door wont unlock so i have to go to the passengers door unlock my car and then walk round to the drivers side. Not much of a biggy to me but i get some funny looks lol and wondered what was wrong with it and if its normal for the boot to have a key hole but i cant lock or unlock it using a key. The boot however does lock and unlock using the the drivers and passengers side doors. and 1 last thing is there a point to the coloured logo key? It feels like it presses down and clicks but i dnt have central locking, I took the key apart and theres a coin cell battery in there but whats it for? the all black key dnt have a battery or an led

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    jimbobvfr400's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring
    Thanks
    The button is for a crappy little light behind the clear strip. Not worth bothering with TBH

I also have 2 keys like yours and both mine work in all locks. (and a third valet key as well in my case)

Not sure about the rest of your issues TBH, could be something wrong or some of the locks might have been changed at some point. The fact the keys used to work sounds like really bad wear to me. Not sure what you could do, maybe a complete set of locks and keys from a scrappie might be in order. Youd need to swop the chip from your keys for the immobiliser though.

An easier option might just be an aftermarket remote locking kit or alarm

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jimbobvfr400 For This Useful Post:

robs e36
    I was looking at a central locking kit on ebay tbh but how hard are they to fit? the garage down the road wants £80 just to fit it if i take everything in

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

robs e36
    Iv even taken the drivers door card off and sprayed the lock with wd40 and also sprayed it inside the lock where the key goes and still nothing but yeah i have been thinking about getting a central locking kit but like i say not sure how hard they are to fit thats the only thing thats put me off

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    jimbobvfr400's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring
    Thanks
    I'd say it would be quite easy for someone whos changed all the cars illumination to blue!
    Its not a difficult job, probably easier than upgrading to an 18 button OBC

Just one thing to bear in mind, you'll need a diode to lock the car properly as the lock and unlock pins on the car need activating together to dead lock and lock the petrol flap, the diode lets the lock signal go to both pins but stops the unlock signal going to lock, hope that makes sense.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jimbobvfr400 For This Useful Post:

robs e36
    thanks for that ego boost mate the 18 button conversion was pretty easy as long as you do 1 wire at a time and i had a guide to what wire goes where, the only thing i aint bothered with is the check control cuz where do you being to start with something like that and where would i stop

I will have a look see if theres a fitting diagram for the central locking system, if there is i will def get it and wire it all in and look into the diode thing aswell it does make sense tho what your saying