BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Bmw e36 1999 coupe Engine temp gauge

1K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  robs e36 
G
#1 ·
This is messing me about now. I was in a hurry the other day when i was driving back home and i looked at my dials and the engine temp needle was sitting in the middle like it usually does. I then put my foot down and my engine temp needle caught my eye because it started going back down towards the cold position. Does anyone know why? I pulled over because tbh it kinda freaked me out and i checked the engine coolant to make sure i had enough and it wasn't over flowing or anything and that was fine. :confused

#5 ·
It's something most people that can work a spanner or ratchet can do.

If you park the car with it's nose up on a good slope you can do it and only lose about 1lt of coolant.

The plastic thermostat housings are prone to cracking if handled incorrectly.

You could do with a torque wrench that goes down to around 10nm or something

#10 ·
G
#12 ·
Thanks this has helped me alot i will be doing this this week sometime. I also know that the digital climate control causes alot of issues, lately (this is gonna sound wired) mine keeps turning itself on and off and iv noticed my petrol going down really quickly im talking like £20 to do 15 miles driving :-o so i unpluged the climate control and my petrol is normal again will me changing the thurmostat thing solve this problem aswell because i imagine that its all part of the same thing init?

#14 ·
digital climate control causes alot of issues, lately (this is gonna sound wired) mine keeps turning itself on and off

Change capacitor.

Search is your friend. There is a pelican parts how to

G
#16 ·
just a quick update since iv been back and forth from my exs (wicked waste of time and petrol) for some reason and im not complaining but its sorted itself out and now its reading like it should so god knows what was wrong but its all sorted now :thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.