BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Been cleaning the old bus

Tags
bus
2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Zircon 
#1 ·
I'm quite new to this forum, but I've had a 1995 E34 TDS for almost a year now and what a cracking car it is!

Thought i'd share a couple of photo's after I cleaned it this morning :thumbsup It's not without it's problems, namely the 50-60Mph shimmy :D, but recently it's had a new clutch, service and the wheels in the picture and it looks half it's age.

Any comments welcome...even bad one's :eek

See less See more
#3 ·
I see you have later wheels on there.

Do you have spigot rings on them? Because if I'm not mistaken, the hubs (the small bit in the center) on the E34 are smaller than later models, so the wheels don't locate properly.

I bought a set of aftermarket wheels for an E34 I once had, and they neglected to supply me with the spigot rings, which gave me shimmy as well.

I certainly didn't need the spigot rings when I used the same wheels on my E39.

Car looks very nice by the way!

Tony.

#9 ·
I've been thinking about that, but I have 2 issues:
1 - money is fairly tight at the mo
2 - with the wheels I've got on, it looks very tight on the rear arches, also, how will it affect the camber settings and all the bushes?

It seems to look really high at the front and low at the back, is that normal on E34's?

#13 ·
The Hottuning kit I've got lowered the front a lot more than the rear, so should even it out a little, im not 100%, but when I was looking for a kit most of them seemed to quote dropping the front more than the rear.

If anything, now its done the front is lower. The rears don't have any problem at all, but the front scrub a little on full lock.

My bushes are pretty much shot anyway, got some powerflex ones on their way, the only other problem I had was top mounts -

I put new top mounts on the rear, but not the fronts, which meant that it didnt take long for the stiffness to pop one of the front ones out!

Camber seems ok, but will know for definite once I've done the bushes, as ill go get alignment done (not that theres much that moves by the looks of it!)

I got my lowering kit for £100, but once you've factored in top mounts (£80 each for fronts and £15 each for rears) and spring pads etc, cost about £300

#7 ·
My bad, I was under the (obviously misguided) idea that all later cars had the bigger diameter hub.

#15 ·
That looks lush!!! iwish mine looked like that, i do like e34's just handles like a massive boat, then again the shocks are prob as old as the car.

How does yours handle by the way (i know they never really 'handle', but is it pretty tight?)

#16 ·
My wife has a 525i Sport - and it handles pretty damn well.

In actual fact, it's quite a 'chuckable' motor.

Very easy to catch when putting the tail out too.

Even the autos handle well when driven in sport mode - I've had a 520i (auto) and 530i (auto) - both of which handled well. Nothing like a massive boat lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.