Advice on where to buy some cleaning things..

Notices

Thread: Advice on where to buy some cleaning things..

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Advice on where to buy some cleaning things.. 
    BFuk Resident Design Guru
    Car Details
    Bigbenstrikes's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 1,038 Posts
    hey there, Ive been on a mission to the isle of skye and back at the weekend and the car got an absolute state got cow s**t all down the side but i soon had the wet wipes out dont worry lol so ive decided im going to majorly clean the car at the weekend... now a few questions are...
    1. Im getting a pressure washer off my mate and was wondering can i just blast some of my autoglym shampoo in there and make a makeshift snow foam like thingy??
    2. Want to get some clay because my car has green freckles and looks minging so i want to give her a good claying but the meguires one i seen at my local automotive store is like 20 quid and i dont think that tiny bottle of quick detailer lube can hack the whole car... can i use a substitute?? also i have little money at the moment so cant fork out!! lol
    3. Also i want some wax as i have been usig autoglym deep shine polish but i think its more of a wax than a polish and its aright but im not that impressed.. what dedicated wax should i use on my mystic blue compact? and do you need to polish it with proper polish before using the wax??
    4. Where can i buy these bits and bobbys at a good rate??

That is all thankyou.. haha

Ben
    Last edited by Bigbenstrikes; 06-10-2009 at 21:09. Reason: cant spell...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    ali_b's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Noble M12 GTO3R / E36 328 TI
    Year of Manufacture:
    2003 / 1997
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Rocketship / Compact
    Thanks
    1) Yes you can DIY snowfoam but you wont get 'proper' , and I mean clingy foam that sticks to the car for minutes unless you get a proper snow foam lance - Autobrite do one, over on Detailingworld
    2) Bilthamber auto clay can be used with simple water as a lube, otherwise get the megs clay and use 1 inch of car shampoo in a trigger spray bottle, the rest topped up with water - Save your expensive Quick detailer, or get some Megs last touch in a 5ltr can.
    3) Hand polish ? - Autoglym Super Resin Polish (SRP) has a place in every detailers cabinet, there are other polishes, but by hand you will want a 'filler' type polish (SRP) rather than an abrasive polish, unless you have arms built like trees. If your machine polishing then theres a lot of choice (Menzerna - good for hard BMW clearcote, Megs, 3M, etc. etc)
    4) cleanyourcar.co.uk is one I use, i4detailing.co.uk is good too, others have other favourites but TBH its the same products (ok some stock other makes).

Try the detailing forum on PH and the ocean of knowledge that is www.detailingworld.co.uk - but be warned , it will cost you an arm and a leg whilst you chase the swirl marks out your paint and attempt the ultimate finish ! (or at least it has for me)
    Shiny Shiny Shiny!

Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ali_b View Post
    1) Yes you can DIY snowfoam but you wont get 'proper' , and I mean clingy foam that sticks to the car for minutes unless you get a proper snow foam lance - Autobrite do one, over on Detailingworld
    2) Bilthamber auto clay can be used with simple water as a lube, otherwise get the megs clay and use 1 inch of car shampoo in a trigger spray bottle, the rest topped up with water - Save your expensive Quick detailer, or get some Megs last touch in a 5ltr can.
    3) Hand polish ? - Autoglym Super Resin Polish (SRP) has a place in every detailers cabinet, there are other polishes, but by hand you will want a 'filler' type polish (SRP) rather than an abrasive polish, unless you have arms built like trees. If your machine polishing then theres a lot of choice (Menzerna - good for hard BMW clearcote, Megs, 3M, etc. etc)
    4) cleanyourcar.co.uk is one I use, i4detailing.co.uk is good too, others have other favourites but TBH its the same products (ok some stock other makes).

Try the detailing forum on PH and the ocean of knowledge that is www.detailingworld.co.uk - but be warned , it will cost you an arm and a leg whilst you chase the swirl marks out your paint and attempt the ultimate finish ! (or at least it has for me)
    Thankyou very much for that advice i might purchase some tommorow... ill be hand polishing it so you reckon the autoglym stuff is the daddy??
    what wax you reccommend aswell?? wouldn't mind stuff that doesnt make your bumper strips white!! lol im getting a machine polisher for christmas maybe so ill be chasing those swirls lol...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigbenstrikes For This Useful Post:

ali_b (06-10-2009)

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    ali_b's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    2003 / 1997
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Rocketship / Compact
    Thanks
    As your doing it by hand, you'll find it very hard to remove paint / clear cote defects very quickly, and by quickly I mean a bonnet would take a long time and muchos arm work. Autoglym will do well on stuff on top of the paint that clay didnt budge (Tar etc), and will also fill any defects to some extent. The problem with fillers is that they wash away over time, leaving the defect behind again. I'd use SRP and top with AG extra gloss protection to seal it in (The gold label I think)

How much do you want a spend on a wax ? There are some very expensive ones out there, ususally due to the carnuba (spelling?) content in them, some favourites out there in the detailing community : Zymol, Dodo juice waxes, Raceglaze 45 and 57, autoglym HD, my fave is Collinite 476S as its relatively cheap and can be layered easily, beads and sheets water well. I've got some Finish Kare 1000P which is supposed to be very good for glossy finishes so I'll be trying that when I strip the paint back for winter protection !

Try the DW site mate, there is far more info over there than I know !
    Shiny Shiny Shiny!

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    ali_b's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    2003 / 1997
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Rocketship / Compact
    Thanks
    I think Halfrauds are still doing the 3 for 2 on cleaning products...... make sure you get your lambswool mitts in and use the 2 bucket method (TBM)..... get involved !
    Shiny Shiny Shiny!

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    ali_b's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    2003 / 1997
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Rocketship / Compact
    Thanks
    Shiny Shiny Shiny!

Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    i got microfiber mits and 2 buckets dont you worry.. lol just had the bonnet resprayed so it looks pretty decent.. so should i just use SRP and the AG sealant..???

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    ali_b's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    2003 / 1997
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Rocketship / Compact
    Thanks
    that would be fine, I'd top it with some wax afterwards...... polish->seal->wax

Get on ebay and get some dodo juice panel pots, theres enough to do an entire car and you can get a feel for some you like :
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DoDo-Juice-Fan...d=p3286.c0.m14

p.s thats not my ad !!
    Shiny Shiny Shiny!

Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    ho i have to wait to wax it after i seal it.. i dont have a garage so it will have to outside and the weather isnt the best to be honest...

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    ali_b's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    2003 / 1997
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Rocketship / Compact
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbenstrikes View Post
    ho i have to wait to wax it after i seal it.. i dont have a garage so it will have to outside and the weather isnt the best to be honest...
    Not sure what you meant there, if its how long do you have to wait, EGP has a cure time of 60 mins so its not too long, if you can garage it, a few peeps leave it overnight.
    Shiny Shiny Shiny!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast