Advice clay bars etc-Recomended detailing products and where to buy?

Notices

Thread: Advice clay bars etc-Recomended detailing products and where to buy?

Reply to Thread
  1. Advice clay bars etc-Recomended detailing products and where to buy? 
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    StreetTriple's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertible
    Thanks
    Right I am calling on your combined experience for a wee bit of advice. I thought I was a bit anal cleaning my cars but this forum and BMW ownership has taken my OCD to another level-I'm looking for recomendations for what products to buy clay bars, wax etc.
    I was normally an Autoglym man and rated them but I am looking for the best products, clay bar-bilt hamer? Wax-collisters??
    Also what else do you need to use? I have read the detailing handbook but when reading other threads people use other products and they use several products. Is it right to wash the car, clay bar it then wax-job done? Or am I missing out several other steps??

Any advice as to what products to buy and where to buy from greatly appreciated!!! And together I can get my OCD under control. . . . .

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Have you noticed that we have a NEW Forum Vendor? Perfection Detailing

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f130/

He is an expert in this field and by no doubts definitely the man to seek the best advice from

I will send him a PM to see if he is willing to give you a few helpful tips

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RYM For This Useful Post:

Perfection Detailing (03-10-2009),StreetTriple (03-10-2009)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Perfection Detailing's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    N/A
    Year of Manufacture:
    N/A
    Transmission Type:
    N/A
    Car Body Type:
    N/A

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetTriple View Post
    Right I am calling on your combined experience for a wee bit of advice. I thought I was a bit anal cleaning my cars but this forum and BMW ownership has taken my OCD to another level-I'm looking for recomendations for what products to buy clay bars, wax etc.
    I was normally an Autoglym man and rated them but I am looking for the best products, clay bar-bilt hamer? Wax-collisters??
    Also what else do you need to use? I have read the detailing handbook but when reading other threads people use other products and they use several products. Is it right to wash the car, clay bar it then wax-job done? Or am I missing out several other steps??

Any advice as to what products to buy and where to buy from greatly appreciated!!! And together I can get my OCD under control. . . . .
    Depending on how OCD you are you might want to add a couple of things to your wash routine but it can become an expensive hobby

What is you routine at the moment?

You dont really need to clay everytime you wash the car every 2-3 months general rule of thumb just keep it topped up with wax, claying will actually remove the wax so you are kind of undoing all your hard work. As long as you keep it topped up with wax and have well executed wash routine you should be fine, a decnet wax to use that is very well priced is collinite 476s and is very durable indeed

this might be of some use to you

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...vember-t26501/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Perfection Detailing For This Useful Post:

StreetTriple (03-10-2009)

7. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertible
    Thanks
    My current routine is wash using car shampoo, de-tar wipe then polish all using autoglym products. Wipe the plastics and wheels with corresponing AG products. That is the usual routine when I have the time!
    Was looking on YouTube at some of the cars which have been waxed and they look so much better protected than simple polish. I think my car looks good as it is but I Want to try and protect it a wee bit better especially coming into winter, thus askng about wax recommendations.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Perfection Detailing's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    N/A
    Year of Manufacture:
    N/A
    Transmission Type:
    N/A
    Car Body Type:
    N/A

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetTriple View Post
    My current routine is wash using car shampoo, de-tar wipe then polish all using autoglym products. Wipe the plastics and wheels with corresponing AG products. That is the usual routine when I have the time!
    Was looking on YouTube at some of the cars which have been waxed and they look so much better protected than simple polish. I think my car looks good as it is but I Want to try and protect it a wee bit better especially coming into winter, thus askng about wax recommendations.
    O.K.

Just polishing with something like autoglym super resin polish is not going to give you any long lasting protection at all, but adding a layer of something like Collinite 476s over the top of the polish will give you months of protection. You can also layer the wax so more coats you put on the more protection but anything more than 3 coats is a waste of time, I generally gauge that once the paintwork stops beading water the protection is on it way out and its time to repeat the routine.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Perfection Detailing For This Useful Post:

StreetTriple (03-10-2009)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertible
    Thanks
    OK so my usual routine should be ok with claying every couple of months and application of collinite wax after the claying. That should see me ok????