I guess this is sort of detailing (although perhaps a bit more extreme) so I'll put it in this forum for now.
Some may have seen me mention in another thread that I've been doing a bit of a seat refurb on a pair of heated sport seats I got from a scrap yard a couple of months back. Now that I've almost finished one of them I thought I'd post up some pictures.
Here is what I was met with when I turned up to get a few other bits. All the way home I found myself wondering if I was in over my head:
Obviously the driver's side bolster will need re-trimming at some point so I thought I'd kick off with the passenger's side first.
First job was to remove all the glass and wipe off the mould with a damp cloth:
Following this, I took off some of the easy to remove plastic trim and gave the seats a clean with methylated spirit. The leather was then given a light sand with some 600 grit paper (areas such as the scar at the top left and the holes at the bottom right of the backrest were given extra sanding attention):
Step 2 was to fill the three holes at the bottom right using dynamix leather filler. Having left the filler to dry for a good few hours, it was time to apply some dye (also supplied by dynamix). I've read that some people like to water down the dye so it soaks in better and is easier to spread. For the first coat I went for 2/3 dye to 1/3 water. For the second coat I used 100% dye. Here's the chair after the first two coats:
Due to the level of staining and the fact that the leather is so light, I decided that a bit more dye was required. Here's the chair after one more full coat, one coat targeted at areas needing more colour and one final, very thin coat to finish up:
Next up is to give the leather a good conditioning treatment to give it a nice lustre. Again, I'm using a dynamix conditioner for this. It has the added benefit of smelling nice and leathery too! At present, I've done two applications 1 week apart and will probably do my final coat this weekend before reattaching the plastic trim.