2005 E90 320d - DRLs but not Angel Eyes

Notices
 

Thread: 2005 E90 320d - DRLs but not Angel Eyes

Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. 2005 E90 320d - DRLs but not Angel Eyes 
    #1
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    msam's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Hi all,

    Hoping you all won't shoot me down for this

    I'm considering installing LED strip lights as daytime running lights (the enclosed type) in the front spoiler, left and right next to the fog lights. A bit like the Merc style of doing things...

    My reasoning is that I only have standard halogen headlights, and as far as I can make out, converting to angel eyes means breaking open headlight units or replacing with projectors etc - in other words hassle or expense.

    Question is - has anyone else done this and does anyone have any suggestions on how best to wire these in so that canbus problems are avoided?

    OK - go ahead and let me know how you think these will look

    Cheers
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #2
    Bimmer Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    1,817
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msam View Post

    Hoping you all won't shoot me down for this
    Let me see if I can find my shotgun . Leave them fairy lights alone
     
     

  4.  
    #3
    Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    ThE.gRiZzLe's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    2003
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    ThE.gRiZzLe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    294
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 301 Times in 197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msam View Post
    Hi all,

    Hoping you all won't shoot me down for this

    I'm considering installing LED strip lights as daytime running lights (the enclosed type) in the front spoiler, left and right next to the fog lights. A bit like the Merc style of doing things...

    My reasoning is that I only have standard halogen headlights, and as far as I can make out, converting to angel eyes means breaking open headlight units or replacing with projectors etc - in other words hassle or expense.

    Question is - has anyone else done this and does anyone have any suggestions on how best to wire these in so that canbus problems are avoided?

    OK - go ahead and let me know how you think these will look

    Cheers
    I think you should be hung personally! WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT TO A BIMMER? - Angel eyes are easy to fit, and its a BMW trait! Fairy lights are for audis, and lets be fair, we all know only t*ssers drive those, and people that can't appreciate a real car...

    Mate, do yourself a favour and spend the money buying the angel eyes!

    Ahmet
     
     

  5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  6.  
    #4
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    TonyB-mw-Rown's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E86 Z4 2.5i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2006
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster
    TonyB-mw-Rown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    Posts
    416
    Thanks
    272
    Thanked 169 Times in 147 Posts
    mate i think you realise before you posted this thread that you were comitting suicide!!

    ThE.gRiZzLe is spot on with what he said spend the extra on some angel eyes!!

    1991 E34 518i
    1994 E36 318i se Project
     
     

  7.  
    #5
    Bimmer Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    1,817
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Fitting CCFLs to an E90 is a bit more involved than E36 or E46 Ahmet. Also, new type of control unit called FRM or footwell module will recognise errors instantly and start a count down before giving up completely.
     
     

  8.  
    #6
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    rusey's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    rusey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manningtree, Essex
    Posts
    148
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 36 Times in 35 Posts


    Doing this will not look good.
     
     

  9.  
    #7
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    nokiauk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520D M Sport Business Edition
    Year of Manufacture:
    2009
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Just upgrade to the new LCI Halogen lights which have angel eyes built in.
     
     

  10.  
    #8
    Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    ThE.gRiZzLe's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    2003
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    ThE.gRiZzLe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    294
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 301 Times in 197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NealP View Post
    Fitting CCFLs to an E90 is a bit more involved than E36 or E46 Ahmet. Also, new type of control unit called FRM or footwell module will recognise errors instantly and start a count down before giving up completely.
    Ok, thats fair enough, but I would still disagree with the fairy lights

    God they made the E90/2/3s a pain to play with How come they cant just be plugged into the sidelight connectors as per the e46/36

    With the error cancellers? Otherwise as mentioned save and "Just upgrade to the new LCI Halogen lights which have angel eyes built in." as NokiaUK mentioned.

    Haha, Neal, I swear your going to kill me at SantaPod!

    Ahmet
     
     

  11.  
    #9
    Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    sam1832's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertable Msport
    sam1832's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    essex
    Posts
    2,578
    Thanks
    407
    Thanked 812 Times in 675 Posts
    gotta spend the extra on angel eyes lol
     
     

  12.  
    #10
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    msam's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyB-mw-Rown View Post
    mate i think you realise before you posted this thread that you were comitting suicide!!

    ThE.gRiZzLe is spot on with what he said spend the extra on some angel eyes!!
    OMG - well suicide wasn't what I had in mind but looks like I've done a pretty good job Wondered why I couldn't find any similar posts...

    Anyway, I'm really glad I asked about this because imagine the stick I would have got if I'd just gone ahead and done it

    Seriously though, I appreciate your opinions guys and didn't consider the Audi "fairy light" aspect to this question. Had my mind on the Merc version and thought it couldn't be that bad...

    NOKIAUK - didn't know about the new LCI Halogen lights which have angel eyes built in and I'm now gonna have a real good look at those, so thanks for the tip

    No way I'm having fairy lights on my motor

    Cheers
     
     

Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts