2004 E46 330 Cab - 2 hours of my life well spent :0 )

Notices

Thread: 2004 E46 330 Cab - 2 hours of my life well spent :0 )

Reply to Thread
  1. 2004 E46 330 Cab - 2 hours of my life well spent :0 ) 
    Psy
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Psy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330 Ci M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Finally had some time today to clean up the beast.

Last weekend I bought some new toys at Halfrauds in the 2for1 promotion, so at bathtime today, we experimented with the following products:

- AutoGlym Shampoo and Conditioner (Green lable)
    - Turtle wax (green bottle, not new, been using it for a while and not happy with all the white muck...)
    - 'Dead Rabbit', big fluffy white thing you shove your hand up
    - Blue microfibre cloths
    - AutoGlym alloy wheel cleaner (orange lable)
    - Halfords 'wet look' tyre spray (blue bottle)
    - Car vacuume cleaner I found in my parent's garage when last visiting...

Was very impressed with the AutoGlym shampoo/conditioner. Two caps-full gave loads of suds, the green slime smelt good and it generated a nice thick cover on the car when applied with a normal sponge. The foam didn't run off too quickly either, certainly time to wash out and refill the bucket with clean water.

When taking the soap off, I noticed that the water was beading. I was very impressed with this, you could see the product was working nicely and the water ran off well, washing away the soap nicely. Two buckets later, it was remarkably easy to get the water off with a chamois.

Quick buzz over with one of the microfibre cloths, made easy work of remaining water and marks, feel nice to use and skim over the surface well, leaving a visible residue on the cloth of any remaining muck the soap didn't remove.

Applied a coat of the TurtleWax using the rabbit thing. Worked surprisingly well for a cheap fluffy thing. The wax applied evenly, though required a run over with a slightly more coarse cloth (more so than the microfibre) to get it rubbed in. I'm not a fan of this wax, it leaves white rubish in all the door and window gaps and creates more work. The reverse-parking sensors are an absolute pain to clean when the wax gets in the tiny spaces and makes them white (on a black car anyway!). Another run over with the microfibre cloth to remove any finger marks or streaks.

I decided to take the BMW roundel off while I was doing this. Bit of an effort, but screwdriver wrapped in soft cloth simplified things. Just needed to work the top and the bottom gradually - be careful to keep the screwdriver covered, it tries to get out of the cloth and eat your paintwork...

Gave the windows a good clean with another microfibre cloth, inside and out. Opened up the bonnet, had a quick wipe around with an old cloth to get the muck out of the corners etc. Opened up the pollen filter and gave it a very good shake while I was in there.

When the body was done, I moved to the wheels. I used the AutoGlym alloy wheel cleaner which directed you to just spray it on, leave for a minute then wash off with cold water. The sprayer is a bit rubbish, I had to use a lot of product to cover the whole wheel as it doesn't 'spray', it sort of 'splurted' out. May just be my bottle, but not great. Washed off the gumk with cold water. Annoyingly I don't have access to a hose or sprayer here, so had to use an old sponge to clean the wheels. They look OK, but I think I could do better with normal shampoo, a hose with a power lance and some elbow grease.

Finished the job by spraying the tyre walls with the wet look spray. This does look super, especially on a black car, though god knows what's in it, it made a very slippery puddle on the floor. Some sort of silicon perhaps?

Oh, actually, I did one last exterior thing - I used one of the microfibre cloths on the exhaust tips with some WD40. It seems to cut through the crap that gets on there and leaves them super shiney.

Moved to the interior with the car vacuume, cute little thing that did a good job. I didn't bother doing anything to the leather seats as I was using the car shortly afterwards. May do that tomorrow, I have some armourall wipes that seem to do a good job.

Photos of the glimmering clean beast below, comments/criticisms about my technique or the products welcome!

Psy

"Longbow" - 2004 330Ci M-Sport Cab Auto - Sapphire Black w. caramel leather

Done: DICE iPod kit, smoked side repeaters, personal plate, Pipercross panel filter, M3 lip spoiler, CF BMW roundels
    To do: MV2 alloys refurbed in black, front CS splitters, Eibach Pro Sport springs

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    pangster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    F20 M135i LCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 885 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    Finally had some time today to clean up the beast.

Last weekend I bought some new toys at Halfrauds in the 2for1 promotion, so at bathtime today, we experimented with the following products:

- AutoGlym Shampoo and Conditioner (Green lable)
    - Turtle wax (green bottle, not new, been using it for a while and not happy with all the white muck...)
    - 'Dead Rabbit', big fluffy white thing you shove your hand up
    - Blue microfibre cloths
    - AutoGlym alloy wheel cleaner (orange lable)
    - Halfords 'wet look' tyre spray (blue bottle)
    - Car vacuume cleaner I found in my parent's garage when last visiting...

Was very impressed with the AutoGlym shampoo/conditioner. Two caps-full gave loads of suds, the green slime smelt good and it generated a nice thick cover on the car when applied with a normal sponge. The foam didn't run off too quickly either, certainly time to wash out and refill the bucket with clean water.

When taking the soap off, I noticed that the water was beading. I was very impressed with this, you could see the product was working nicely and the water ran off well, washing away the soap nicely. Two buckets later, it was remarkably easy to get the water off with a chamois.

Quick buzz over with one of the microfibre cloths, made easy work of remaining water and marks, feel nice to use and skim over the surface well, leaving a visible residue on the cloth of any remaining muck the soap didn't remove.

Applied a coat of the TurtleWax using the rabbit thing. Worked surprisingly well for a cheap fluffy thing. The wax applied evenly, though required a run over with a slightly more coarse cloth (more so than the microfibre) to get it rubbed in. I'm not a fan of this wax, it leaves white rubish in all the door and window gaps and creates more work. The reverse-parking sensors are an absolute pain to clean when the wax gets in the tiny spaces and makes them white (on a black car anyway!). Another run over with the microfibre cloth to remove any finger marks or streaks.

I decided to take the BMW roundel off while I was doing this. Bit of an effort, but screwdriver wrapped in soft cloth simplified things. Just needed to work the top and the bottom gradually - be careful to keep the screwdriver covered, it tries to get out of the cloth and eat your paintwork...

Gave the windows a good clean with another microfibre cloth, inside and out. Opened up the bonnet, had a quick wipe around with an old cloth to get the muck out of the corners etc. Opened up the pollen filter and gave it a very good shake while I was in there.

When the body was done, I moved to the wheels. I used the AutoGlym alloy wheel cleaner which directed you to just spray it on, leave for a minute then wash off with cold water. The sprayer is a bit rubbish, I had to use a lot of product to cover the whole wheel as it doesn't 'spray', it sort of 'splurted' out. May just be my bottle, but not great. Washed off the gumk with cold water. Annoyingly I don't have access to a hose or sprayer here, so had to use an old sponge to clean the wheels. They look OK, but I think I could do better with normal shampoo, a hose with a power lance and some elbow grease.

Finished the job by spraying the tyre walls with the wet look spray. This does look super, especially on a black car, though god knows what's in it, it made a very slippery puddle on the floor. Some sort of silicon perhaps?

Oh, actually, I did one last exterior thing - I used one of the microfibre cloths on the exhaust tips with some WD40. It seems to cut through the crap that gets on there and leaves them super shiney.

Moved to the interior with the car vacuume, cute little thing that did a good job. I didn't bother doing anything to the leather seats as I was using the car shortly afterwards. May do that tomorrow, I have some armourall wipes that seem to do a good job.

Photos of the glimmering clean beast below, comments/criticisms about my technique or the products welcome!

Psy

good effort!!

* 2016 BMW M135i LCI (F20): current
    * 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA 200d AMG Line (X156): current

Psy
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Psy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330 Ci M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Just a quick follow-up report...

I've been doing a bit more driving than normal this week, but the finish on the paintwork is still beautifully glossy.

There is a real gleam to the colour and the finish is still 'slick' when I slide the back of my index finger over the body panels.

Very impressed with the AutoGlym shampoo and conditioner.

It may be my imagination, but there seems to also be a lot less dust/particles building up on the surface too - prevents static build up perhaps??

Psy

Done: DICE iPod kit, smoked side repeaters, personal plate, Pipercross panel filter, M3 lip spoiler, CF BMW roundels
    To do: MV2 alloys refurbed in black, front CS splitters, Eibach Pro Sport springs

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    scruffles's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Dont look all that....

Im joking of course

I cant do the hose pipe thing either. Dragged it through the house once and she wont let me do it again

When you say you washed the wheel stuff off, did you dry the wheels or leave them to dry themselves?

Kids are at school now and my cars been really neglected.

Im planning on givin it some big love this week, but will have to make do with buckets as well

Love your car though.

Psy
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Psy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330 Ci M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Thanks scruffles

Quote Originally Posted by scruffles View Post
    When you say you washed the wheel stuff off, did you dry the wheels or leave them to dry themselves?
    Mmm, it was a warm & sunny day, so by the time I'd finished doing the body of the car, the wheels were probably 90% dry.

In future I'll probably clean the wheels in the 'normal' way first when doing the car, dry, then do the wheels with the AG stuff.

Simples!

Psy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Psy For This Useful Post:

scruffles (14-09-2009)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    w33_uan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i E36
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Psy;181901]Applied a coat of the TurtleWax using the rabbit thing. Worked surprisingly well for a cheap fluffy thing. The wax applied evenly, though required a run over with a slightly more coarse cloth (more so than the microfibre) to get it rubbed in. I'm not a fan of this wax, it leaves white rubish in all the door and window gaps and creates more work. The reverse-parking sensors are an absolute pain to clean when the wax gets in the tiny spaces and makes them white (on a black car anyway!). Another run over with the microfibre cloth to remove any finger marks or streaks.

I cleans cars for a living and i know what you mean abut parking sensors.
    But ive found a wee trick to remove the dust from the wax/polish is to rip a corner from your daily smut or what ever paper you flick through fold it up and run it round the sensor and then a run over with a micro fibre and dust gone
    Hope this helps.