2003 E46 320d Crap Exhaust sound!!!!!!! - Page 3

Notices

Thread: 2003 E46 320d Crap Exhaust sound!!!!!!!

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    NavyG's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320cd
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Step
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    brilliant thanks everyone for your help, will defiantly get in touch with them

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Oz Striker's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Stick
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beardmore View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky View Post
    try going for a straight pipe? not sure if it would work?
    it would sound sh*t, most cars petrol or diesel that i've seen this done to always sound awful
    I beg to differ:

If your 320D has a resonator after the cat and before the back box, you can remove it and have straight pipes put in for a more subtle sporty noise or remove the back box for a more aggresive sporty noise.

But I think one problem with removing the backbox on a diesel is that there will be no particulate filter (or at least one less) and hence a greater plume of black smoke when you put your foot down!
    Mods & Maintenance Blog: http://lifewithabmw.blogspot.co.uk/

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/OzStryker

BMW Master
    Car Details
    mark beardmore's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    m3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz Striker View Post
    I beg to differ:

If your 320D has a resonator after the cat and before the back box, you can remove it and have straight pipes put in for a more subtle sporty noise or remove the back box for a more aggresive sporty noise.

But I think one problem with removing the backbox on a diesel is that there will be no particulate filter (or at least one less) and hence a greater plume of black smoke when you put your foot down!
    nope stick to my original statement, only chavs have bits of staight pipe lobbed in in my experience

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Oz Striker's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Stick
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    nope stick to my original statement, only chavs have bits of staight pipe lobbed in in my experience
    Well i guess you would say that owning an M3, that we cant all unfortunately own, and that sound good off the bat....... 330's were built primarily for refinement ie for grandads ......... precats, cats, resonator AND a back box........... thats just overkill IMO.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    mark beardmore's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    m3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Well i guess you would say that owning an M3, that we cant all unfortunately own, and that sound good off the bat....... 330's were built primarily for refinement ie for grandads ......... precats, cats, resonator AND a back box........... thats just overkill IMO.
    Dont get me wrong i like a nice deep sporty sounding exhaust system as much as the next person, hence why most of my cars over the years have had aftermarket systems of some sort, but there is a distinct difference between a properly engineered system and just lopping bits out like some people are talking about, as the changes not only alter the cars noise but also power, torque, the whole drive of the car, and trust me if you get it wrong it will bw fu*king awful

Both my current vehicle(and yes its an m3) and my previous car(a 2.5 v6 sri vectra) had systems done by 1 Stop Performance, my local CCR franchise and the changes made not only improved sound but also increased bhp and torque quite dramatically which have both been proven on the dyno and on the street and track, bottom line a good well built system will make a car but a badly designed one will kill it

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Oz Striker's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Stick
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Dont get me wrong i like a nice deep sporty sounding exhaust system as much as the next person, hence why most of my cars over the years have had aftermarket systems of some sort, but there is a distinct difference between a properly engineered system and just lopping bits out like some people are talking about, as the changes not only alter the cars noise but also power, torque, the whole drive of the car, and trust me if you get it wrong it will bw fu*king awful

Both my current vehicle(and yes its an m3) and my previous car(a 2.5 v6 sri vectra) had systems done by 1 Stop Performance, my local CCR franchise and the changes made not only improved sound but also increased bhp and torque quite dramatically which have both been proven on the dyno and on the street and track, bottom line a good well built system will make a car but a badly designed one will kill it
    Very true regarding screwing things up, but on a 330 its already been proven that decatting &/or headers increase bhp simply by decreasing reisistance to outflow, BUT i dont want the hassle of putting Cats back in every year for the MOT. Hence its reasonable to assume that removing either the resonator or back box will achieve similar, albeit smaller outcomes, by decreasing back pressure. UUC motorworks have some good blurb on how modern BMW engines do not rely on backpressure to maintain torque. I really do not see how having a huge resonator (being the same size as the backbox) would in any way increase bhp. I opted for removing the back box because after viewing tonnes of vids, i was afraid removing the resonator would prove too subtle an improvemtn. Plus the backbox weighed in at 15Kg, so a weight saving mod as well

At the end its each to their own, some people just want more sound (eg scorpion exhausts) , some want bhp that they may or may not be able to feel. I just wasnt wanting to pay £300+ on an exhaust system that i couldnt actually hear on a car like mine, what vids i could find were too subtle an improvement in exhaust sound, and the ones i did like were from exhaust companies from US like UUC. At £70 with a lifetime guarantee (which i've actually called upon once in the 2 yrs since getting it done) i think it was well worth it. I dont think my car sounds obnoxious or a "fart can", and additionally its not a 1.6 litre Focus, its a subtle black 330 coupe so i think it can pull it off. I dont get normal everyday people turning their heads looking, but instead boy racer types (i shouldnt say that ppl with clearly modded cars!), and other folks driving nice cars often similarly engined E46, E9x and Z4's

Hopefully if i get time this week i'll take some driveby videos which i've been meaning to take for a long time.

Premium Member
    Car Details
    6891_seb's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,881 Times in 2,700 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyG View Post
    brilliant thanks everyone for your help, will defiantly get in touch with them
    Be sure to let us know how you get on, lot of pics and youtube vid for sure...
    PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6891_seb Project Thread

6891_seb Project Thread Blog

* Discounted BMW OEM Parts Shop *

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    CLARKY01's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 ci se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Very true regarding screwing things up, but on a 330 its already been proven that decatting &/or headers increase bhp simply by decreasing reisistance to outflow, BUT i dont want the hassle of putting Cats back in every year for the MOT. Hence its reasonable to assume that removing either the resonator or back box will achieve similar, albeit smaller outcomes, by decreasing back pressure. UUC motorworks have some good blurb on how modern BMW engines do not rely on backpressure to maintain torque. I really do not see how having a huge resonator (being the same size as the backbox) would in any way increase bhp. I opted for removing the back box because after viewing tonnes of vids, i was afraid removing the resonator would prove too subtle an improvemtn. Plus the backbox weighed in at 15Kg, so a weight saving mod as well

At the end its each to their own, some people just want more sound (eg scorpion exhausts) , some want bhp that they may or may not be able to feel. I just wasnt wanting to pay £300+ on an exhaust system that i couldnt actually hear on a car like mine, what vids i could find were too subtle an improvement in exhaust sound, and the ones i did like were from exhaust companies from US like UUC. At £70 with a lifetime guarantee (which i've actually called upon once in the 2 yrs since getting it done) i think it was well worth it. I dont think my car sounds obnoxious or a "fart can", and additionally its not a 1.6 litre Focus, its a subtle black 330 coupe so i think it can pull it off. I dont get normal everyday people turning their heads looking, but instead boy racer types (i shouldnt say that ppl with clearly modded cars!), and other folks driving nice cars often similarly engined E46, E9x and Z4's

Hopefully if i get time this week i'll take some driveby videos which i've been meaning to take for a long time.
    So do you have no resonators and no backbox?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    CLARKY01's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 ci se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Sorry for hijacking btw

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Oz Striker's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Stick
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Hey Clarky, no just backbox removed. Early 330/325's had a larger resonator (ie the older 328/323i exhaust system) latter ones had a smaller resonator. Removing the resonator results in a more subtle increase in the exhaust note, especially in later models. How do you know what exhaust system your M54 engine has?.... easy get on your knees and look under your car from behind!!.... single larger exhaust going into backbox?... you have the older 323/328 exhaust system..... dual (smaller) exhaust pipes going into the backbox?... then you have the latter system. Both still produce 231bhp, infact E90 330's revert back to the single larger exhaust input to the backbox.

You could remove both resonator and backbox, but then IMO it would be too loud, and only worth doing if it was a track car as it would save you another 15Kg or so. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Oz Striker; 07-10-2010 at 14:22.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123