e46 300ci clubsport & E30 325i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002 & 1987
    Transmission Type:
    auto & manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe and 2 door
    Thanks
    Been thinkinh lately im tired of my lovely yellow halogen headlights on my facelift e46 330d and would like projectors and xenons lik ei had on my coupe. Only thing is idont want to shell 400 odd again on a set of depo headlights. Had a look round for some oem xenons and they aint coming in any cheaper. After a bit of diggin round on tinternet as you do i noticed that retrofitting projectors in America seems to be quite popular and wondering if anyone here has done it or tried it or even for that fact where to get projectors over here.
    Last edited by mark@vorny.co.uk; 26-10-2010 at 00:24.

330ci clubsport

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    compactM54's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti [E46]
    Year of Manufacture:
    '04
    Transmission Type:
    MT
    Car Body Type:
    Compact M-Sport
    Thanks
    Oem xenons do come along on eBay etc, but as you say are usually expensive. But vastly superior to depo which are just taiwanese copies.
    HID kits are a no no too, super glaring (&not legal) when put into a halogen reflector, better when in halogen projector, but light output will still be out compared to a true xenon projector.

Swapping projectors is huge in the US, there are loads and loads of individual parts available, for sure most is only suitable for lhd US cars but there's plenty of rhd stuff too. Those FX or FX-r projectors have a great reputation for light output and also ease of installation, though installation is for the brave. At around only 100 plus shipping it does look an attractive option though. You've may/probably have seen plenty more over at fanatics, but also see hid planet too.

My suggestion would be to keep an eye on eBay or breakers for some bmw ones, especially if you find only one for sale as a set of 2 will usually fetch much more than just one odd headlight. Even damaged ones are Ok as can replace the outer plastic and repair mounting points.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to compactM54 For This Useful Post:

bimmer320(22-08-2010)

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    bimmer320's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002 & 1987
    Transmission Type:
    auto & manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe and 2 door
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by compactM54 View Post
    Oem xenons do come along on eBay etc, but as you say are usually expensive. But vastly superior to depo which are just taiwanese copies.
    HID kits are a no no too, super glaring (&not legal) when put into a halogen reflector, better when in halogen projector, but light output will still be out compared to a true xenon projector.

Swapping projectors is huge in the US, there are loads and loads of individual parts available, for sure most is only suitable for lhd US cars but there's plenty of rhd stuff too. Those FX or FX-r projectors have a great reputation for light output and also ease of installation, though installation is for the brave. At around only 100 plus shipping it does look an attractive option though. You've may/probably have seen plenty more over at fanatics, but also see hid planet too.

My suggestion would be to keep an eye on eBay or breakers for some bmw ones, especially if you find only one for sale as a set of 2 will usually fetch much more than just one odd headlight. Even damaged ones are Ok as can replace the outer plastic and repair mounting points.
    Yeah seen those fxr before, vastly superior to the depos i had in my coupe. Found one website a while ago that sold them but come to over 200 with shipping and didnt seem to do rhd but cant imagine its too hard to modify. Have been toying with the idea of going to the local scrappy and seeing what headlights i could get from other makes of cars purely to rip the projectors out of them (something like a b6 audi a4 or a vw passat) but was trying to see if anyone knew a place that sells projector kits first. Will check out hid planet though, thanks

330ci clubsport

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    compactM54's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti [E46]
    Year of Manufacture:
    '04
    Transmission Type:
    MT
    Car Body Type:
    Compact M-Sport
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmer320 View Post
    Yeah seen those fxr before, vastly superior to the depos i had in my coupe. Found one website a while ago that sold them but come to over 200 with shipping and didnt seem to do rhd but cant imagine its too hard to modify. Have been toying with the idea of going to the local scrappy and seeing what headlights i could get from other makes of cars purely to rip the projectors out of them (something like a b6 audi a4 or a vw passat) but was trying to see if anyone knew a place that sells projector kits first. Will check out hid planet though, thanks
    Good luck with scrappy search, though if a no show then still try US eBay too, eg merc E55 bi xenons are on there for like 70odd notes
    apparently in switchabe LHD.RHD form. hid planet has lots of info. Even if you did find some in scrappy u'd prob have to buy whole headlight, even if only want projectors...

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    bimmer320's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002 & 1987
    Transmission Type:
    auto & manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe and 2 door
    Thanks
    found the fxr ones on ebay.com, works out just over 100 notes just waiting to hear back about delivery. Yeah the plan was just buy complete headlamps from scrappy to pilfer the projectors from . what ever route i go i will update as i go along.

330ci clubsport

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    compactM54's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti [E46]
    Year of Manufacture:
    '04
    Transmission Type:
    MT
    Car Body Type:
    Compact M-Sport
    Thanks
    Make sure, if you do buy 'em, that the projectors are for sure rhd ones, modding the cut-off yourself accurately is a real precision task.

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    bimmer320's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002 & 1987
    Transmission Type:
    auto & manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe and 2 door
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by compactM54 View Post
    Make sure, if you do buy 'em, that the projectors are for sure rhd ones, modding the cut-off yourself accurately is a real precision task.
    definatly, it does state that that can supply lhd and rhd cutoff in the add

330ci clubsport

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    adam.wilkinson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ise
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Nice one mate, keep us updated as this something that I have been looking at!

At the moment I have a H7r kit installed in the standard reflector housings and I have spent a fair amount of time getting the levels correct and they produce little/no glare to on coming traffic. Obviously the cut-off is no where near the OEM units, as they are a fantastic reflector. But for what I need they are OK, and havn't cost the earth.

I did look at making a metal mount to bolt into the headlight assy, but all the templates on the net were for the E36 and i'm not sure about the difference in dimensions etc.
    If it aint broke, don't fix it!!!

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    bimmer320's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002 & 1987
    Transmission Type:
    auto & manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe and 2 door
    Thanks
    The chap from TRS got back to me and can do the projectors with the e46 shrounds for 126 delivered know what im doing when i get paid. All i need to do after is free a weekend up to bodge, i mean re engineer my headlights

330ci clubsport

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    adam.wilkinson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ise
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Thats a bargain mate!!! Are you just going to butcher yours or get a spare set?
    If it aint broke, don't fix it!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast