2002 E46 325ci. Wheely Confused (sorry, covering old ground)

Notices

Thread: 2002 E46 325ci. Wheely Confused (sorry, covering old ground)

Reply to Thread
  1. 2002 E46 325ci. Wheely Confused (sorry, covering old ground) 
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Rikster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 Ci M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Took my car for it’s first MOT (under my ownership) on Saturday. I have only had the car for about 4 months now and got it serviced when I got it, so I didn’t do any prep apart from the usual lights check. The car passed ok apart from a comment that there was a maximum of 1mm legal tread left on my 2 rear tyres!

I knew they were getting low (not just that low!) and had been using this as an excuse to start thinking about new alloys and tyres (as you do). Anyway, it appears that I need to start thinking a bit more seriously about it than I thought.

If I am going to go for new alloys then I would ideally like to get 19s. I had already narrowed my alloy choice down to one of these 3 -

ACS 3 Racing (rep) –

ACS 3 (rep) –

Finichi Firenze –

The car already has MV1s on it, and as much as I love CSLs I have ruled them out as they are kind of similar to what I have got (and everyone seems to be getting them at the minute). I always liked ACS 3s as they are more of a traditional BMW alloy rather than the aftermarket look of the Finichi's, so I may be swaying to the ACS 3s. I am however unsure if I prefer the ACS 3 clean look or the racing look (with studs).

Alloy choice is obviously a personal preference thing, so the point of this post isn’t for opinions on this (although all comments are welcome), but rather to help me understand offsets with regards to the staggered setup on my 325Ci Sport and a few other things. So, the questions are -

1. My car has the staggered setup – 8j up front with 225/40/18s and an offset of 47 (I believe), with 8.5j on the rear with 255/35/18s and an offset of 50 (I believe).
    The recommended tyre size when going for 19s seems to be 235/35/19 but I am confused by the offset bit as whatever reps I go for will have the same offset all round and not the staggered setup (and different aftermarket wheel types have different offsets).
    Depending on my choice of alloy, the size seems to be either 8j or 8.5j all round. How do I know the correct offset I should be looking at for either of these?
    e.g. the 19” ACS 3’s I like have an offset of 35 which is much less that the offset of my current wheels?

2. Will there be a huge difference in looks at the rear of the car, in terms of width and positioning in the arch, between my current 8.5j with 255/35/18 and an 8j with 235/35/19?
    I’m guessing the difference in arch position would be less with a 8.5j with 235/35/19?

3. The car has the Sport suspension and I will not be lowering it further. I like the way that the ride height is at present, so will sticking 19s on to the standard Sport suspension without lowering it look out of place, or should ride height be pretty close to the way it is now?

4. Does the quality of alloy reps differ widely? Has anyone used ‘wheel-base.co.uk’ ?

Many Thanks,
    Rik
    Last edited by Rikster; 02-09-2009 at 13:35.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Rikster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 Ci M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    BUMP

Someone is bound to be able to give me a few pointers on some of these questions

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    henrys dad's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hi Rik

Can't help much with most of your questions I'm afraid, I'm sure someone will be along soon who can!

Has anyone used ‘wheel-base.co.uk’ ?
    Used Wheel-Base for some RS4 reps for my Touran. Not only was the price good but they arrived here in France really quickly but they were well packaged as well. The only comment I would make was that I opted for Toyo T1 tyres and I noticed they were wearing quickly before the car was sold. Avoid the Toyo's!

Chris

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Rikster, you are a wheel sellers worst nightmare

First thing you need to get your head around is this...

You don't need to know the in's and out's of a ducks arse when it comes to wheels.... That is the job of the person selling the wheels

All you need to know is what design you like - Which you have done very well to get it down to three

What size you want - Which you do AND you know you want the staggered set up

and whether you want to upgrade the tyre from the usual rubbish that is provided on wheel packages.

I have worked in an establishment that has sold thousands upon thousands of wheels and nothing got their backs up more than a customer that tried to tell them what wheel, what design, what offset, what width, what tyre size and what make etc etc etc.

You tell them You own a 2002 E46 325ci. you want 19" ACS 3's in a staggered fitment and they do the rest

Happy Days

They cannot sell you a wheel that does not fit your car!!!! Trading Standards will have them by the short and curlies BIG TIME

If you want peace of mind then tell them that YOU MAY BE LOWERING THE CAR BY 60MM IN THE FUTURE This will prevent them from using offsets that push the boundries.

Hope this helps

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RYM For This Useful Post:

Rikster (02-09-2009)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Rikster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 Ci M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Thanks. That helps quite a bit - well it gives me some confidence that whoever I go to for the wheels should be sorting out the offset bit for me .

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikster View Post
    Thanks. That helps quite a bit - well it gives me some confidence that whoever I go to for the wheels should be sorting out the offset bit for me .
    Cool

If you need any assistance or you're not convinced then I have an excellent contact that I can pass you on to if need be