BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2002 E46 320td se compact colour codeing

3K views 33 replies 5 participants last post by  goughy 
#1 · (Edited)
hi all, iv been busy with my compact over the weekend so thought ide share it with you:thumbsup removed the bumper as it was badly scratched, also removed all the bump strips from the sides and front bumper, removed the interior dash strips and gear cover, bought some skirts from jaimo:thumbsup a new boot handle with lights from bmw breakers in shifnal:thumbsup, then sanded, plastic primed, 2 pack primer filler, more sanding with 1200 grit wet&dry, cleaned, base coat titan silver(thought its worth mentioning there are 3 different shades so had to pick from swatches) then 2 pack laquer:thumbsup done this friday night and saturday morning, then put it all back together 2day:hihi hopfully here are some pics all coments appreciated
cant seem to be able to upload pics will try latter

#12 ·
cheers mate paint in total for primer base and laquer with thinners etc was £86 lookaly i work in a powdercoating/spray painting company so did it myself in the factory:thumbsup took about 8 hours in total but most of that was preping the bumper as it was badly scratched thanks again for the feed back:D

#15 ·
wheels next going to powdercoat them anthrasite they will do untill iv got some spare cash for some 18s :D i bought a ltr of base because i re sprayed my bumper still got just under 1/2 ltr left so i can do frunt bumper and bonnet as they are covered in stone chips, will do this when i have cash to buy some angel eyes:D

#29 ·
Yeah the black dot ones are quite smart looking, they work well.

If youve got those standard rubbery finishers Id personally try to spray them myself... whats the worst you could do? They start peeling after a while anyway!

Alternatively you could just peel the rubber off and it comes out glossy black! But is a sort of cheap thin plasticy cheap feel...

#30 ·
That interior finish looks top nitch - I did mine last summer and was really pleased with the results - but that really makes mine look like an amateur job!

I found the silver really lifted the interior - mine was grey before and a pretty dull place to be (it was also really scratched). I removed the vinyl the hard way - basically sanded and picked it off! It didn't take as long as I thought it would.

The bumper trim etc looks good as well.

#32 ·
The anthraciet will look pretty sweet I think (I keep thinking about getting mibe done to break up all of the silver, but I think I'd rather spend the cash on lowering it a tad and replacing all of the bushes).

I got a quote from a place in Brum to do mine in black chrome which was quite reasonable I thought and the MVI's look mighty good in that colour on their website. You planning on doing it yourself?

#33 ·
yes mate i will do them myself i run a powdercoating factory in telford, already got a couple of kg's of powder(sample:thumbsup) just need some dohna wheels so i can get mine off tyres removed, striped, shotblasted then i will coat them:D if i cant get some more wheels it will be 1 at a time job:frown

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.