Model of Car:
    330d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Decided to have more of a play in the sun and painted the grille surround to match the body colour. The colour match is pretty good in my opinion (certainly as far as rattle cans are concerned). Im just not sure if I like it. From the front/side angle I think the chrome grille and the wheels just went together. Maybe BMW did it better with the chrome!

Ill get used to it, learn to like it or buy a new one. No harm done.

Top tip - wear a mask when spraying. Who'd have thought it - my head was knacking after i got lazy and thought "ill just hold my breath for this, just a quick coat" doofus
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    goughy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gcrossan View Post
    Decided to have more of a play in the sun and painted the grille surround to match the body colour. The colour match is pretty good in my opinion (certainly as far as rattle cans are concerned). Im just not sure if I like it. From the front/side angle I think the chrome grille and the wheels just went together. Maybe BMW did it better with the chrome!

Ill get used to it, learn to like it or buy a new one. No harm done.

Top tip - wear a mask when spraying. Who'd have thought it - my head was knacking after i got lazy and thought "ill just hold my breath for this, just a quick coat" doofus
    looks good to me, im going to do mine, but the black grill bit aswell !!!! like you say if i dont like it i will spray it black
    love life as much as your car

BMW Master
    Car Details
    goughy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    forgot to ask how did you remove the grill? is it easy? cheers colin

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    gcrossan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    NO!

Getting the grille separated without snapping clips is not an easy job. My advice is lift the bonnet then turn around and lean back into the engine bay so youre looking out through the grille into the sky. Pull the bonnet down on yourself slightly and get yourself a thin flat screwdriver and loosen the bottom 2 (or is it 3) clips and then the side ones. It'll kind of then split and creak but be REALLY careful that the aluminium (?) clips dont scratch the outside of the bonnet. Itll kind of part and only be held by the top and then its either gonna fall apart easily or youll have to kind of bend it and loosen the clips and hope they dont snap. One side did one and the other did the other. Putting them back together is a reverse of above but with more swearing cos you dont want to scratch all your new work or the bonnet!

Probably said enough already but if you do snap a couple of the black clips that keep the grille aligned rather than the silver ones that lock it together it still works just fine. These were brittle and a fiver says youll end up with a couple of them on your driveway

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    gcrossan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Ooh, forgot to say, the black part would have been beyond my skills. It was properly grimey and would have needed a really deep clean to get the dirt, stone gouges etc out of it. And respraying all those corners? No way i could have done that and got even coverage with no runs. And wet n dried between coats...

I reckon the silver will show stone chips worse than the black so you'd probably need to get them sanded right out before priming.

Wow, how negative does that sound? YOU CAN DO IT! Whatever happens get some pics up and show your work

BMW Master
    Car Details
    goughy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gcrossan View Post
    Ooh, forgot to say, the black part would have been beyond my skills. It was properly grimey and would have needed a really deep clean to get the dirt, stone gouges etc out of it. And respraying all those corners? No way i could have done that and got even coverage with no runs. And wet n dried between coats...

I reckon the silver will show stone chips worse than the black so you'd probably need to get them sanded right out before priming.

Wow, how negative does that sound? YOU CAN DO IT! Whatever happens get some pics up and show your work
    the spraying wont be the problem it sounds like removing the grill is the hard part colour coded the bump strips and interior myself so the grill shouldnt be a problem as long as it comes off lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12