BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2002 E36 318ti info need on xenon bulbs

6K views 60 replies 11 participants last post by  nick316ti 
#1 ·
hey guys, i have an e46 compact and my dip light seems very faint. full beams is powerful though! i tend to turn my front fogs to compensate but thats gtting annoying now. i was looking at getting new xenon bulbs. are these on a simple plug and play type thing or do i need to do some sort of conversion! Im not referring to HID angel lights thought they would be a nice to have sometime in the future. also is there anything specific in terms of a brand, power etc i should go for?

ari

#3 ·
Same boat here mate
The lights seem weak and yellowed.

Im going to try some xenon bulbs (just being lazy about it)
I made a thread not long ago about bulbs.

Everyone suggests HID kit and is supposed to be fairly straight forward but Im going to keep things simple and try the bulbs alone for now.

#12 ·
joe your right the sides are 501s. checked my manual today too, not sure y i didnt do that first seems H7s are the right bulb for the main beam and the dip lights. just ordered myself two sets of philips blue vision bulbs, they come with free side lights, result!

#28 ·
so here are the effect of the bulb switch

i changed them during hte day so im sure the difference wont be as noticeable. ill snap again this evening. soo far i wouldnt go as far as saying they create the "Xenon effect". I have notice that they are stronger though so not all is lost

#30 ·
Nicely done mate

The standard bulbs on the compact are really bad....!
I got some bulbs too (didnt want to dable into HID kit etc) and they make a difference. Mine are meant to be road legal & have warranty so cant be bad for under a tenner??

Your car looks updated/fresh with these bulbs

Small pictures though :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.