Model of Car:
    330is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    just had a qoute myself £500 to fit and spray two wings same as you need to buy wings myself what about after market wings are they anygood ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    chrisgettings's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    have a look here for the new wings e46 coupe front wings

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chrisgettings For This Useful Post:

chrisp_1 (05-03-2011)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    chrisp_1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    B3 3.3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Switchtronic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    After much deliberation and conflicting opinions at bodyshops and on-line I've decided to try some aftermarket wings (£85/pair) from a place local to me,

http://www.autocrashparts.co.uk/contacts

they're located in Farnworth (Bolton) and seem to think fitment won't be an issue, they even suggested I bolt them on before painting and if they don't fit to take them back.

They have a more expensive option which they tell me are the same wing with a Thatcham stamp, they about £50 extra pair if I remember correctly. The pair I went for are manufacturer approved whatever that means.

Best price I got from BMW was £187@ discount (each) - thats from Cotwald BMW, however another forum user apparently managed to get them for £157 last year there.

Now looking at £600 to get the bodywork pretty much mint and subject to my 2nd visit tomorrow it's looking like I'm using BM-Tech in Salford

http://www.bmtec.co.uk/

... I will be taking the replacement wings with me on visit to let the sprayer have a look ;-)

Last edited by chrisp_1; 08-03-2011 at 21:57. Reason: mre detail

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    wisemonkey's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Hi would be very suprised from photos that you need new wings ,a good bodyshop would sort those wings ,even if metal is pitted i could be sanded and spot welded and ground back with very little if any filler . i would try and keep original metal and take furher advice, seems like bodyshop wants easy repairs.Tell them what you want done ,not what they think they can get away with,also comes down to time and money,maybe cheaper and quicker for them bolt on new wing and spray,but extra cost to you four new wing .where as if they repair and paint exsisting wings might cost you a little extra but not as much as new wings.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    chrisp_1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    B3 3.3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Switchtronic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wisemonkey View Post
    Hi would be very suprised from photos that you need new wings ,a good bodyshop would sort those wings ,even if metal is pitted i could be sanded and spot welded and ground back with very little if any filler . i would try and keep original metal and take furher advice, seems like bodyshop wants easy repairs.Tell them what you want done ,not what they think they can get away with,also comes down to time and money,maybe cheaper and quicker for them bolt on new wing and spray,but extra cost to you four new wing .where as if they repair and paint exsisting wings might cost you a little extra but not as much as new wings.

Another place quoted £360 to do as you suggest on wings and localise repair on the other bits too, however, I'd still have the stone-chips on the bumper/bonnet (white dots on Black Car) to contend with. This place wanted £800 wings included to do full front end spray.

Thanks for your comments thus far

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    chrism110's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    can you let me know how the wings fit once there on please mate im after to new ones cheers

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    chrisp_1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    B3 3.3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Switchtronic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrism110 View Post
    can you let me know how the wings fit once there on please mate im after to new ones cheers
    She goes in later today and hope to have her back by Friday all shiney and new.

The bodyshop took a look at the wings and said they are as good as I'll get without going OEM - "better than Euro Car Parts wings" / "not as good as OEM" was his opinion. Apparently the difference is that the edges of the panels are less true than OEM (ie very very slightly bumpy - however, you would not notice)

I'll report back on fit later but the painter didn't think he'd have any issues (fingers crossed).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to chrisp_1 For This Useful Post:

SlowTech (14-03-2011)

BFuk Legend
    Car Details
    steve23002's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,379 Times in 5,803 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1 View Post
    She goes in later today and hope to have her back by Friday all shiney and new.

The bodyshop took a look at the wings and said they are as good as I'll get without going OEM - "better than Euro Car Parts wings" / "not as good as OEM" was his opinion. Apparently the difference is that the edges of the panels are less true than OEM (ie very very slightly bumpy - however, you would not notice)

I'll report back on fit later but the painter didn't think he'd have any issues (fingers crossed).
    Nice one. Good decision on replacing the wings as E46 wings rot from the inside out and the repairs are not cost effective. If they are just scuffed and filled the rot would just come back.
    The car will lok spot on with the new wings and paintwork....

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    chrisp_1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    B3 3.3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Switchtronic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve23002 View Post
    Nice one. Good decision on replacing the wings as E46 wings rot from the inside out and the repairs are not cost effective. If they are just scuffed and filled the rot would just come back.
    The car will lok spot on with the new wings and paintwork....
    Yeah thats what I thought in the end, also had the bumper scuff and stone-chips to accout for too. £360 quote to repair bumper and wings or £680 to fit new and fully re-paint front end. Hopefully BM Tech will do a blinding job and it proves to have been a no-brainer.

13. I'm getting nervous 
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    chrisp_1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    B3 3.3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Switchtronic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    I'm getting nervous now

It's not often that you spend £600 on the bodywork of a 10yo car, no matter how nice the car is .

I'm thinking of praying for a good job on her...., quite wierd as I'm reading Dawkins 'The God Delusion' at the moment and I'm usually a devout aethiest

"Dear Car God, please make sure the nice men at the bodyshop do the Alpina justice, I promise to be a good boy (no speeding) and I'll clean and wax her once a week"

That should do the trick

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast