Model of Car:
    330i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    hello there last week i decided to get the rust spots and bubbles out my front end. i mananged to get them filled and sanded . i sprayed with paint and then some laquer ... ive made a right mess i ended up going over the whole bonnet with laquer trying to smarten it up.. it ran in once place and i flamin wiped it and now i have a big scab i tried to respray and laquer again but can now see an outline where i wiped it . and the rest of bonnet is gone all misty and patchy ... i know what a dam mess. i am normally really good at this done a few mates with good results just dont know what came over me. so i would like to know how to get the gloss finish back before i give up and buy new bonnet. .

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    stolfordtone's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z4 3.0i SMG/523i
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004/2000
    Transmission Type:
    Semi-auto/Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster/Touring
    Thanks
    Hi Mate,
    Sounds like you've got yourself into a right pickle

I'm not a spraying or finishing expert, but do make and spray furniture for a living and think that the problems you describe are pretty universal.

Firstly...Don't panic!!

You will need to start again, but not until the old lacquer is well and truly dry and hard. You can then cut back the 'scab' with some fine emery paper or similar.

The misty finish will be a 'bloom' caused by the wet lacquer absorbing moisture from the atmosphere. You can avoid this by spraying on a dry day and don't lay it on too thick. The bloom you already have may be able to be removed with a cutting compound (like T-Cut).

The areas that were rough and have been rubbed down to refinish can be built up with thin layers of primer/colour/lacquer, allowing sufficient time between coats for drying, but I think you already know this.

I think replacing the bonnet sounds a bit drastic! You should be able to rescue yours with a bit of luck.

Hope this helps a little, just try & be patient!!

Cheers, Tone

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    spartacus1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    ha yea sounds good to me . i prob will try again ive t cut when i got home the laquer is still on but not as thick in some areas . when i started i tried it from a distance but looked a bit spotty. so i went closer in some areas it looked grea then i got carried away and ended up with runs. so lets say if i filled in the scab and resprayed the bonnet to a matt how can i get a high gloss finish without the laquer cans which cost a fortune.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    stolfordtone's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z4 3.0i SMG/523i
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004/2000
    Transmission Type:
    Semi-auto/Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Roadster/Touring
    Thanks
    I would suggest that the only way to get an even finish over the whole bonnet is to have the same material over the whole area, i.e. either paint or lacquer. Cutting and polishing the entire bonnet should then get the desired results.
    Just another thought.......are you using the correct paint colour for the shade you are matching?

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    bmwe36violet's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 330ci m sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe in imola red
    Thanks
    hello iv sprayed a fair few cars now and learned if u get a run or sag let it dry for 2 days or so if u did it buy rattle can then u want a 600 wet and dry with some hot soapy water and a flat bit of wood or sanding block and gently sand it back using plently of water to the basecoat paint feeling by hand is the key then use some panel wipe clean the disired area up removing particals and debree the coat it with either another basecoat depenting on if it was damaged and 3 coats of clear laquer please leave time to dry as you will end up with marble cracking effect between basecoat and laquer.after u leave 2 days for the laquer to dry i use a 1500 wet and dry with soapy water and gently go over the hole panel to remove imperfections and orange peel effect then use g3 compound polish with a machine mop or any mop or rotory buffer hope i sort off helped

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    bmwe36violet's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 330ci m sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe in imola red
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus1 View Post
    ha yea sounds good to me . i prob will try again ive t cut when i got home the laquer is still on but not as thick in some areas . when i started i tried it from a distance but looked a bit spotty. so i went closer in some areas it looked grea then i got carried away and ended up with runs. so lets say if i filled in the scab and resprayed the bonnet to a matt how can i get a high gloss finish without the laquer cans which cost a fortune.
    hello if its a non met paint use celilos paint about 4 coats of that and 2 days drying then use 1500 wet and dry with a block and lots of realy hot soapy water and go over the hole area you have sprayed till u have flatted the paint back then use a buffer or elbow grease and t cut the panel to shine If its metalic laquer must be used to get desired shine mate but remember 50% of repraying is preperation and getting the paint flat after spraying thats why 1500 wet and dry is ideal to get that horrid bobbly effect out of the and just t cut to shine try the link might help give u ideas